Projection TV - lots of red

Murf
Unregistered guest
I have a Pioneer 50 projection tv, approximately 14 years old. The picture is showing lots of red/pink colors with very little other color. Any idea what could be the problem?

Discovering
Unregistered guest
That's what my Sony picture tube (CRT) did. If your Pioneer is a projected CRT image, then your CRT is wasted. Now you have an opportunity to upgrade to a set with 720P or 1080I resolution. Make that jump to HD. Now's the time.

Peas
Unregistered guest
You are lucky, in dog years your TV is nearly 100 years old. It should have died on you long ago. Pony up and but a new 4" B&W portable battery powered TV, you will appreciate the convenience and if you hold it close enough (about 6 inches from your face) it will look like a big screen projection TV.

Enjoy

Peas

Gail
Unregistered guest
I have a similiar set. Pioneer 50SD Best Tv ever. It is probably the blue color drive. Mine went out once. About $400 repair

Anonymous

JUNK THAT OLD TV, a brand new Magnavox 51" 1080i hi def with built-in stand, wheels etc at Circuit City or Walmarts runs less than 1000 dollars, and includes a free full yr in-home service guarantee by Magnavox.

Most sets over 4 yrs old are not worth fixing

Anonymous

yep...you can get a nice 50 or 55" HD CRT/RPTV set for under 1000.00 nowadays. Time to upgrade.

Anonymous

I would think you could find a blue gun somewhere on the NET, even Amazon.
I have a 1997 version of this TV...and I'm missing the manual to it...Does anyone know the hookups on the back and how to use them?
Thx
randyb_vis@yahoo.com

asian p!mp
Unregistered guest
use some visine,"it gets the red out"

Unregistered guest
I have an old Magnavox television Model number RL 8510 AK07 Chassis Model number PTV375 AM01. I was watching it the other day and all of a sudden I got a red screen. Now after watching the TV for about 30 min, it goes from being red to blank. Does anybody know what could be the problem.

chinese poet
Unregistered guest
you have a bad gun circuit

Bronze Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 73
14 year old CRT??

Whoah......In car years, that would be like and old Desoto.

Time to uprgrade to HDTV if you ask me:-)

An old TV like that isnt worth spending money to repair. Tvs have come a very....very...long way in the past 14 years. I recently retired a 10 year old Toshiba, and in hindsight.........I should have done it a lot sooner.

Anonymous

I have an old mitsubishi vs-410r rear projection tv and it works great except the there is just a little to much red. I can only notice it when they are things on screen that should be white, but they appear pinkish. also the edges are a bit blurry...i know i should just get a new ste but i really am broke and would like to keep this one for now. Any help??

Klaus
Unregistered guest
In old RP CRT sets you can usually get at the red, green and blue drive adjustments. It may be that one of the other CRTs or both are weak rather than the red getting stronger. If you can get at these adjustments, mark their current positions, and try moving the potentiometer a 1/4 turn both ways and then back to the original position on red green and blue drives. See if the picture is better. Often the adjusters become slightly tarnished and this will clean them

Anonymous

Where would those be located, in the back of the tv?? Ive fooled with the little knobs on the front, but i haven't taken the back off the tv yet. im assuming thats how Ill have to make further adjustments??

Unregistered guest
I was given a 1996 55" Magnavox rear Projection
TV. It Works good except for a slight green haze
around anything that is white . My question.... can that be ajusted in any way or be easly fixed by a TV repair man. Model 6P5440-W103. Thank You
Jay

FYI
Unregistered guest
Absolutely!
The convergence is out of adjustment from move, most likely.

FYI
Unregistered guest
Absolutely!
The convergence is out of adjustment from the move, most likely.

Unregistered guest
To the person who answered me FYI Absolutely!
How do I adjust the convergence? I know how to take system apart to reach inside where lamps are located. Any info would be great

thanks Jay

Jay Hough
Unregistered guest
Can anyone out there tell me, how do I adjust the convergence On rear pojection TV? I know how to take system apart to reach inside where lamps are located. Any info would be great

thanks Jay

Unregistered guest
I have a 12 year old toshiba projection tv TP55C80. The bottom third of the screen yellow and red and curves up. Can any body tell me what is wrong and how to repair. I would like to find a repair on it. Thanks for any help.

Unregistered guest
Can anyone out there tell me, how do I adjust the convergence On rear pojection TV

Coyote
Unregistered guest
There should be a panel somewhere with a bunch of nobs that will control the various convergance functions. Don Williams needs a convergance fix.
Jay, you probably have a different issue. Not sure if your model is the kind with the Ethelene glycol coolant, but if it is, it needs cleaning. Kind of a pain in the a$$.

Username: Lacirose

Post Number: 1
We have an 11 1/2 yr old Toshiba TP55C80 Projection TV. 2 1/2 yrs ago we had the color convergence- blue replaced, both sides. It was aprox $450. A few days ago the TV went bonkers again. The picture is slightly blurry, and when any writing or the guide to our satellite channels is on the screen the sides and top shrink in kind of like a square with inverted/rounded middle sections. We have tried to adjust it by switching the 'test' button on and then turning the 4 controls governing the Red and Blue Vertical/Horitzontal. None of the buttons do a thing. The lines do not match on the screen in the test mode.
Any suggestions??
We have been shopping for a new set but actually,.... we are NOT fans of the 16:9 screens!Haven't seen one yet that looks proportioned correctly!
Thank you for your input!

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 352
Sheriann,

I replaced my trusty old 4:3 bigscreen tv recently, and was also not a fan of the widescreen format. Once you make the HD change, switch to 16:9 format, and start watching primetime programming, sports, and other various events on your new TV, you'll be scratching your head and wondering......"What was I thinking??"

Your old TV is like the "Fred Flintstone-mobile", and the new TVs are like a new 2005 Corvette. There is no comparision in any way, shape, or form. Not even remotely.....

We gave our (still working)10yr old 48" Toshiba bigscreen away.

If you buy a 4:3 TV, you'll be buying into what will be an obsolete format during the early life of that tv.

Username: Lacirose

Post Number: 7
Paul; Once again thank you for your input.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us