Toshiba 5970 ($180) vs Denon 1910 ($250)

Bronze Member
Username: Angelog

Post Number: 25
I've had the Denon for a few days hooked up to my new JVC 52" D-ILA RPTV. I'd heard really good reports about the Toshiba, so I descided to pick one up on the way home from BB and give it a look. Here's what I found.

Denon 1910 vs Toshiba 5970

OK .. I hooked up both DVI/HDMI and switched between the 2 using Nemo and Spiderman 2.

I would say that across the board, the Denon looks like a better picture .. though not by leaps and bounds .... but certainly noticable for those who would look ... Detail, smoothness of backgrounds, antialiasing, colors .. all better.

The macroblocking, artifacts and color banding we all slightly more noticeable on the Toshiba ... so any compression artifacts that I was seeing are probably in the DVD and not caused by faulty decoding by the Denon.

Denon has more settings and controls over picture at the decoder side (color, brightness, contrast, black level). I found the best picture by making some very slight adjustments at the DVD player and the rest at the TV.

Finally, the Denon is fairly quick to respond to remote commands. The Toshiba was maddening to try to use (hea ... I don't have all minuite to wait!!).

So, for $70 more, I'm going to stick to the Denon 1910 and for anyone looking for a $200-$300 DVD player to do while we awaite HD-DVD .. I'd recommend it.

Ang

Anonymous

I was looking for a new DVD player to go with my 51" Toshiba HD TV. I tried Sony, JVC, Samsung, and Toshiba. I had high hopes for the Toshiba 5970 since it had HDMI. My hopes went down the drain, the Toshiba looked like crap and it had slow responce and it did not play all of my DVD backups. I also was not happy with the other DVD players and was tired of returning them. So I tried a Harmon Kardon DVD 22...WOW!!!!! The HK is AWSOME, the picture looks like the Discovery HD cable station. I thought the sound on the other players was great until the HK DVD 22, now this is some GREAT sound. I would suggest giving this player a try. I pick mine up at Circuit City for $151. This DVD player also plays all of my backups without a hickup.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
I'll take a look at it .. and I would get additional style points since my receiver is an HK510 <g>

Ang

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Just looked at the specks for the DVD22

http://www.harmankardon.com/product_detail.aspx?Region=USA&Country=US&Language=E NG&cat=DVD&prod=DVD%2022&sType=C

Kinda like comparing apples to oranges as the Denon 1910 is progressive scan, DVI-out with Faroudja DCDi upconversion to HD resolutions.

Like the HK, Denon has excellent audio circuitry.

http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/DVD1910.pdf

Ang

Happy HK User
Unregistered guest
The HK does not have up conversion, it does have progressive scan. I went for the Toshiba because of the up conversion and was VERY disappointed with the picture quality. I was thinking that the up conversion with the HDMI connection would give me a great picture, I was wrong.

I do not know what kind of picture the Denon has but I know from my own experience that the HK without up conversion and without hdmi connection has a much better picture than the Toshiba and the sound is way better also.

You can pick up the HK at Circuit City and if you do not like it just take it back. That is what I was thinking when I picked it up, but after watching it once I realized that this was the DVD player for me.

I am not trying to sell the HK; I could care less what other people buy. I just want to pass it along because after going through many DVD players I wish I would have bought this one first.

Unhappy Toshiba owner
Unregistered guest
I bought the Toshiba sd-v592 it is a vcr/dvd combo with HDMI and upconversion and am taking it back. I has a horrible picture on my MITS 52725 via HDMI.

Anonymous

bought a toshiba 5970 and a monster hdmi to dvi converter since my samsung hdtv has a dvi input. toshiba would show welcome screen okay but as soon as dvd started i'd get a blue screen = no picture. toshiba customer service said tough luck - they only promise it'll work with hdmi (although hdmi is supposed to be fully downward compatible with dvi) if you have dvi equipment steer clear of this piece of crap.

Username: Paulh

Post Number: 1
Hello, new here and just bought a Toshiba 46H84 with HDMI input. I also bought the sd-v592 combo dvd player with up conversion and HDMI output and am very unhappy with the results the picture does not look good. Now I am confused about going with the Denon 1910 and trying this HDMI stuff again or going with the HK DVD 22 and maybe use the HDMI input for a future HD cable box. What should I do?

Anonymous 1
Unregistered guest
I would recomend the HK DVD 22, the player rocks. I have it hooked to a Toshiba 51H84 and it looks awsome. My boss also purchsed the HK DVD 22 and said it looks as good as his $699 Denon DVD player. The Toshiba and Samsung up conversion DVD players look like crap and do not play all of my backed up DVD's. The HK plays every DVD backup I have and they look and sound awsome. I would try the HK, if you do not like it you can return it.

Post Number: 2
Well just tested the sd-v592 DVD player in all modes including 480p 720p and 1080i. Not sure if its the TV or DVD but I cant see any real change in picture quality between them. Tested with Jurassic Park Lost World DVD. I have the 46H84 Toshiba HDTV ready with HDMI input. Any suggestions?

Post Number: 3
Thanks Anonymous. I just saw your post after my last post. You pretty much have the same TV I do so I will give the HK DVD22 a try. I guess I need to get some component video cables as well. That is how you have yours hooked up correct? The only good thing about the Toshiba was it came with the HDMI cable saving that extra cost.

Username: I_am_bigdog

This is Anonymous, I registered so I did not have to keep using a different user name each time I posted.

I use Accoustic Research component cables, I am not sold on Monster or anything more expensive cable. The component sends a great signal, just put the TV in Theater Wide mode 1. We also have a HD cable box and it is conected with component and it passes the HD station great, put the TV in Natural mode for this. Since the TV up converts the signal I do not think you need a DVD player that does it also.

If you want more reviews of the DVD player go to Circuit City web site, there are about 76 reviews for the HK DVD 22. I can not say enough how much we love this DVD player in conection with the 51H84 TV.

I should say I posted as Anonymous 1 not Anonymous.

Post Number: 4
Thanks again. Does CC sell the Accoustic Research component cables?

Post Number: 5
Another question? Are you not using the HDMI input for any components. From the testing I did and information gathered here, I am coming to the conclusion the HDMI input is worthless on this particular television. Am I missing something?

Post Number: 3
I am not using it for anything right now because I do not have anything that can use it. My guess is that once HD DVD comes out and the cable company starts showing more HD programs that the HDMI concection will be used. Just too new right now. My opinion, which is worth $0.02. I am very happy with the TV, I compared it to many others and read many reviews and I think it is awsome.

I know when I hooked up the Toshiba DVD player with HDMI and component and the picture was crap both ways, so I do not think it was the HDMI conection on the TV.

I went through 2 Toshiba, 1 JVC, 1 Sony, 1 Samsung DVD player until I tried the HK and none compared.

I picked up my Accoustic Research cables at Best Buy and Meyers (sometimes cheaper than Best Buy on cables). I think CC has Monster cables but I think Monster has a lower priced line now. Once you are in the store the clerk will try and sell you the top of the line Monster telling you that it will make a BIG difference in the picture. I can not see spending more on cables than I do on the DVD player.

Post Number: 6
I thought the HDMI would be the way to hook up a HD box which I do not have yet. I take it your HD component does not have HDMI connection. I should also clarify that I wouldn't say the 592 Toshiba dvd PQ is crap on my TV it just isn't as good as I had hoped. Looking forward to trying the HK 22.

Correct, my cable box only has component out for the HD stations and they look GREAT. Discovery HD looks AWSOME, love watching that station. Also, when CBS broadcast NFL games in HD...WOW. I hope you will be as happy with HK as we are.

Username: Solostinla

Just wondering if anyone has any macroblocking concerns (more or less) regarding the Denon 1910 with an LCD (Aquos) vs any other television.

Sounds from this thread like the 1910 is a recommended purchase for use with a wide variety of discs (including home movies edited and moved to DVD, etc) for folks like me looking for something <$400 or so range, yes?

hapamatt
Unregistered guest
I have a 65" Mitsubishi HDTV w/ a DVI input, I recenctly got the the Toshiba 5970 and a monster hdmi to dvi conversion cable, really bad decision. first of all, I didn't realize I wouldn't get any audio through the dvi port, and the toshiba dvd player won't put sound through the analog audio out when it is in HDMI mode, or at least I couldn't get it to. So basically I had the video but no audio, and it really didn't look that great. So I am going to take it back along w/ the cable and pick up the HK DVD 22 from circuit city to see how it works. I looked around for the Denon 1910 and it seems that the only place it is available is at crutchfield, I know of a few high end electronics stores in my area but I don't know if they carry dvd players that are < $500.. and crutchfield won't have the denon 1910 until next week, so i will give the hk a week or two to prove itself.

Anonymous 2
Unregistered guest
Purchased a Toshiba 52HM94 DLP and returned 2 Samsung 841's. Both had the black crush problem in the HDMI mode, the first one I thought was just defective because it did not enable me to adjust the black level in the HDMI mode. Wrong. Its poorly designed. Component input was not bad however. Returned it and I got the Toshiba SD V592 combo. HDMI also was not good, too dark with greenish tinge and component input only went to 480p on "copy writed disks". Then got the Toshiba 5970. It too had a dark HDMI input which could not be adjusted. You would think that Toshiba products would be better with a Toshiba product. Wrong. Returned and got HK DVD 22. This unit's video outperforms the 4 other units which had the HDMI connections and component connections. Colors are perfect, contast and brightness is perfect. Sharpness is near HD quality. Too bad nobody can make a unit like this with a 720p. Until the manufacutrers get thier act together and perfect this technology the HV DVD 22 is the way to go.

Bronze Member
Username: Mike_leigh

Post Number: 12
I'm truly confused about all the positive remarks about the HK DVD22, especially when being compared to the dvd players with "up conversion" and "better" cable connections (i.e., hdmi, dvi). I have a Sony KDF60WF655 (LCD projection) and have tried the Toshiba 5970-- two times-- with similar problems as many have had-- e.g., poor remote, buttons on the set not responding, etc-- but the pq seemed pretty good... In fact, I'm not sure if it can get any better. I've returned the 5970 for the time being since it's 30day for returns was almost up. Since, I've considered the LG's LGDVB418 (with HDMI), Samgsung's DVD-HD841, for their cable connections and the "up conversion." But I've not read too many positive remarks about them by end users. What has truly confused me is the sheer number of people who seem to avouch for the excellent pq and mechanical quality of the HK DVD22. How is it possible that a dvd player that can only display 480P produce better pictures (may be better pq in terms of color/hue, etc) in terms of clarify? One here said, "near hd quality." I went to get one last Friday and the "veteran" saleguy at Circuit City just flat out said it was a pathetic and illogical conclusion that the HK could have better pq or clarity than the one's with upconversion (up to 1080i). He makes good sense and I came home with nothing. Hey, BIDDOG, how did you get that HK for $150 at Circuit City?. It's $199 everywehere around here in Wash. State. Please HELP!

Mike

I know from a numbers comparison that the up conversion DVD player should give a better picture that is why I tried them. But they are up converting the picture; the DVD movies do not come in 1080i so the DVD player is changing them to 1081i. I do not know if this is the problem but I do know that visually and also the sound quality of the HK is incredible. Other people I have recommended this player to have also been impressed with the video and audio quality of it. All I can say is try it, if you like it then great, if you do not then take it back and try another player, this is what I did until I found the HK. I also do not trust anything the sales people at Circuit City or Best Buy say, they are working an hourly job at a retail store they are not experts in the industry (not that there is anything wrong with working at CC or BB).

I was able to get mine so cheap because I checked the internet everyday and found it on sale. I originally paid the $199 for it but then it went on sale and they price matched themselves. To me it is worth the $199.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Thanks, Bigdog. I went out and got the HK at CC last night. I'll post my "findings" after I check it out. One quick question. For now I'm using the component cable from my cable settop box to tv since I don't know if I'll keep the HK. Suppose I do, who has good cables? I'm also noticing that some have compo cables with only video cables (3 cables) and some do not. If it doesn't have the audio cables with it, which audio cables work with it? What about optic cables? ARe they superior to regular cables?

Thanks.
Mike

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Okay, I'm back after checking out my new HK dvd22. I've had several clear impressions:
1. The physical appearance of the HK is beautiful and quite heavy. Compared to the Toshiba, it had the look and feel of a very quality machine. It's akin to comparing a Hyundai to a Mercedes.
2. The mannual is pathetic. Someone needs to take lessons in organization and layout design.
3. The picture quality: noticeably richer colors than the Toshiba.
4. HOWEVER, the lack of clarity evident in its 480P resolution very noticeable. For example, in the subway scene in the Matrix Revolution where Neo is laying down on his back with an Indian girl looking down at him-- I've noticed the words embedded in the tiled wall in the background are noticeably jagged around the letters' edges. In fact, the jagged edges are very noticeable in many scenes. Furthermore, the clarity is just not there in general.

I'm now convinced that the "theoretical" superiority of "upconversion" dvd players in terms of clarity (resolution) is not only theoretical but actual. If HK had an "upconversion" dvd player, I'm sure it would be very good.

I will return the HK for either the Toshiba or the LG. Thanks all for your inputs.

Post Number: 7
I use Acoustic Research cables for all of my connections. If you look in the forums cables are a highly debated subject. I like Acoustic Research because they are cheaper than Monster. I am using coaxial audio into my receiver, I use this because I already have the cable and from my research on the net there is not much difference between it and optical (again a highly debated subject). I use component connection from my HD TV out of the cable box and also component for the DVD player. I will be interested to see what your thoughts on the HK are. All I know is that my wife and I love it, we watched Prisoner of Azkaban on the Toshiba with HDMI up conversion and was very disappointed, then we watched it on the HK and it sealed the deal. We then watched the Lord of the Rings movies and WOW!

Post Number: 8
Mike,

I hope you find a DVD player that will work for you; I know Denon makes a HDMI player and there decoding technology is top notch.

Out of curiosity I just went and skipped through the Matrix Revolutions and do not see the jagged line you are talking about, not that I am questioning what you are seeing. Every scene looks clear as a bell, from seeing the individual hairs on the Indian girls arm at the end when the Matrix resets itself to the rain drops on Neo's face. It could be the difference between your 60" LCD and my 51" projection (you are seeing a clearer picture in general) or maybe it is the 1080i up conversion my Toshiba TV provides, who knows.

Username: Wrench

Well this is the second Toshiba 5970 I have exchanged. The first one I bought had problems with used DVD. It seemed that any scratches or fingerprints on the disk was unplayable or scrambled pictues. So I went to BB and exchanged it for the same one. I'm willing to give it another try. Now as far as the picture goes, GREAT Picture!!! I have a Sony HD Rear Projection TV. I set it to 720p and using the Monster HDMI/DVI connection. Just finished watching the Matrix Reloaded. Fantastic Picture!!! Well I guess I'll see what happens.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Bigdog,
Thanks for all of your comments. I think it is the tv that's giving us different perceptions. As far as the cables go, I used the component cable that the Comcast installer used between the settop box and my tv. Let me also say that the hdmi cable that the Toshiba came with was a very thin cable-- i.e., not a "quality" cable but with very little insulation. I think I'll try the LG next. I don't want to go with the Toshiba if I can help it. It's got good pictures but the mechanical and physical qualities are saying one thing: "MADE IN CHINA" (not that there's anything wrong with China) I'm glad you found the right one for you.

Mike

Username: Mmagnus

On a different thread folks claim the 5790 is great (minus the button lag). Here everyone says it's horrible. I have a toshiba 52HMX84 w/ a 5790 and the picture looks absolutelty terrible. I got it because of the up conversion and the HDMI (and the price $149). I hooked it up DVD > HDMI > TV and picture is extrememly grainy. Backgrounds and parts of image that are not in focus look like there's dirt on the screen it's so bad. Will a new dvd player + monster/AR/etc. cables fix this? Also, could a good power strip/filter help with the picture?

Post Number: 10
Tosh,

As you can see from this and other threads, there is not one answer that everyone can agree on. As I posted above, I had the Toshiba and tried the Samsung 1080i DVD players and did not like any, I also went through several other non hdmi players until I found the HK. I also like the HK because it will play all of my copied DVD's all others would not. So the best thing to do is try other players until you find the one that works best for you. These forums are great but they are just each person's opinion.

JeffL
Unregistered guest
I have a 50" LCD projection HDTV (Sony 50WE655) and tried both the Samsung HD841 and Toshiba SD5790. I was not happy at all with the pic quality (though the Toshiba picture was better), and returned both. Today, I purchased an HK DVD22--finally a DVD player worth keeping! Very good pic quality and digital sound.

Username: Alamakluke

I got tell you this, this HK unit just rocks. I went to future shop today in Oakville, and bought a LG dv7832nxc and a HK DVD 22. I hooked them up to a Sony KF50WE620. The LG I used both component cables and the DVI cable (supplied with the unit) and the HK just with component cables.(Berklin) I tried Finding Nemo and The Lion King 1 1/2 and I notice some macroblocking right at the beginning of the movie where the sun comes up on the LG unit with DVI, the HK with component cables was fine, no blocking whatsoever. The HK unit is 100$ more then the LG but it's well worth it. The unit is much faster and quieter then the LG. Until someone comes out with a true HD DVD, I will stay with this HK. I used a Panasonic S55 player before, so for me the HK is a big upgrade. But I have to say the LG is a great player as well, for the people that are not picky with their PQ. For someone like my parents etc... for them they would have not notice any differences. The LG comes with all the cables that you need, and their manual is not to bad. But for now I will store my DVI cable in the closet until a good real HD DVD player comes out. Sorry for being so long, hopefully this was helpful.

Unregistered guest
HOW DO I REMOVE THE PROGRESSIVE SCAN IN LG DVD PLAYER?
HI
I HAVE LG DVD PLAYER WITH PROGRESSIVE SCAN, BUT I GOT LOST OF MY USER GUIDE AND IT HAPPEN THAT I PUT IT ON NOW I AM IN TROUBLE AND AS I DO NOT HAVE DVD MANUAL AND I WOULD LIKE TO PUT THE PROGRESSIVE SCAN OFF.

choo-choo charlie
Unregistered guest
download the manual from LG

Username: Alamakluke

you cannot turn the progressive OFF, the player in default is 480p as per the manual

Unregistered guest
My HD ready big screen has no dvi available and I have purchased a new denon 1910.Is ther any way to connect with the dvi.

Anonymous

is there a player on the market that will produce 1080i through component connect?

Unregistered guest
My HD ready big screen has no dvi available and I have purchased a new denon 1910.Is ther any way to connect with the dvi.

Username: Llandovery

Does anyone know the differences between the DENON DVD 1910 and the DENON DVD 755S? Both are priced the same (about $250). Thanks

asn
Unregistered guest
Mark,
1910 and 755s ... they have the same manual on denon website.

anoniem
Unregistered guest
"is there a player on the market that will produce 1080i through component connect?"

Yes, try the IO-Data Avel linkplayer.
It plays and upscales DVD's, HD Divx, HD Xvid, MPeg 2, Mpeg4...
No DVI output, only component. But High def Divx and Transport streams look really fantastic.
http://www.iodata.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us