Basic DVD recorder info / replace VCR

JoeNuGuy
Unregistered guest
Hi Everyone, (Great site)

I want to replace my VCR with a DVD recorder/VCR combo unit. I have analog cable only. My VHS tapes are recorded in EP format. Resolution not that big a deal for me. Saw Samsclub Sylvania combo unit (SSR90V4) that does -R/-RW/+R/+RW recording for $249.

Is it easy to record from TV like a VCR (set times, channel, speed) or what is the big deal with TIVO (paid service). Also if I copy VHS to DVD is it always in real time (6 hr tape takes 6 hrs to copy?) And lastly, do these machines really hold up? I was thinking about the 3 yr. extended warranty.

THANKS!

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 532
Combos are poor quality units. From my experience DVD recorders don't last like VCRs do, but I've never owned a cheap VCR, so I don't know how long they last. Seperates are better and yes you would be stuck doing stuff in real time. They record basically like a VCR, setting recordings is the same.

olli
Unregistered guest
Hey,
just bought the ssr90v4 from SAMS yesterday (2005/01/03), hooked it up and wanted to copy the first recorded tape to DVD (dubbing). First set of (cheap) DVD-R did not work ... so I drove to the shop and bought some Philips DVD-R ... same result!

Of course I do not know if it is just the unit I got but for sure I will bring this one back to SAMS and not waste more of my time with any Sylvania (they have a 1-800 and after waiting for 4 min - I ended up on a voicemail) -> pretty sad :-(

Have fun - always!
Olli

Anonymous

Sylvaniawas a good choice. Dontbuy agovideo they suck. If cyberhomecame oput awith a double layer recorder or a vhs dvd recorder i buy it. Any one bought the cyberhome 1530 yet? Was your exoperience?

Unregistered guest
I just bought a dvd recorder that I wanted to hook up to my tivo. I have directv as well. I hook up everything and it looks fine but when I put a disc into the dvd to play it looks like it is playing however all I see on the dvd is what is currently being played on tivo. Any help would be greatly appreciated - feeling pretty stupid right now.

Username: Sayea_kim

Post Number: 1
I went thru 3 samsung dvd players (the top of the line model) in one month. stay away from the latest one with Hi Def output. the dvi cable that the include is a real cheap one. the player kept skipping. when i went to circuit city the manager said he had over 30 units returned since christmas

Username: Knoxet

I just bought a Sylvania SSR90V4. It will only use DVD-R R4.7 media. You cannot use 8X DVD-R.

Anonymous

I was going to buy the Sylvania ssr90v4 today, but after reading the experiences of others, I've changed my mind.

Now, I simply need a quality DVD player. Any suggestions?

Kathryn

Anonymous

I just got a Sylvania SSR90V4 for Christmas, so far it has been hit and miss on the dvd blank disc.The only ones that work I got so far is the Sony DVD-R R4.7.
The others say the same thing, but I notice they have speed numbers like 4X etc and up, they didn't work, Sony doesn't have a speed written on their disc. So what exactaly do I have to look for when buying blank disc. The ones I have used were Memorex DVD-R R4.7 with 4x on it didn't get an error message, just didn't record.Then I tried Maxell DVD-R 18X 1X and I get message to eject disc, may not be playback recordable. Thanks.

Anonymous

I am looking for a good quality VCR-DVD recorder combo, to use primarily to convert old VHS tapes to DVD and also to edit some camcorder footage to DVD. Is there a good quality VCR-DVD recorder combo out there that also has some editing capability? Help!

Silver Member

Post Number: 596
Combos are poor quality, buy seperate.

Clark Besch
Unregistered guest
Like Kathryn, I was going to buy a Sylvania ssr90v4 at Sams for 249.00. After owning a piece of junk Philips CDR recorder that after 3 years won't record just "any" blanks CDR anymore, I want a decent reliable DVD recorder stand alone that I can make quality dubs from old VHS tapes and use any blank DVD-R's on the market--for a decent ($300?) price. Any out there??? Clark

Unregistered guest
Hi, just bought a Sylvania ssr90v4 at Sam's Club, and got the same results as olli. Taking it back

Username: Natlady

Racine, Wis

I bought a sylvania ssr90v4 before i take it back. I would like to no if I have it hooked up wrong.When I finish recording and finalizing all I get is a black screen.You can see that it burned what was on the dvd side not the vhs that I wanted to transfer. Do you have to hook up the vcr jscks to the dvd jacks and then to the tv, The manual sicks all the show is how you would hook it up to the tv and so on.. thank for any help!!!!!

National Show Horse
Unregistered guest
Just got a Syvania SSR90V4 from Sam's Club. Thought, hey, it's a decent price and I can copy from VHS tape to DVD and vice-versa. What they don't tell you is you need a DVD-R or DVD-RW that is specifically made for video ONLY-it can't be a DVD that is for video/data. Anything over 4x will not work. I have been everywhere tonight trying to find a DVD that will work-none to be found anywhere!! I tried calling customer service and like many others got the voice mail. Finally got a person on the other end of the line and she told me she couldn't tell me what DVD's were compatible, only that 8X and above won't work. VERY frustrating!! I told her I was taking it back, that it wasn't worth the headache, and she said "whatever". Great customer service!! Can anyone recommend a decent DVD/VHS Recorder that isn't too complicated? Thanks!!

Anonymous

Wow! I also bought got a Syvania SSR90V4 from Sam's Club for $249.00. After not being able to burn a DVD from any of the three brands I had a home, I went out and bought a fourth type or DVD-R. No luck and customer service is a JOKE. Taking this thing back tommorow.

National Show Horse
Unregistered guest
I took mine back to Sam's, spent $20 more on a Pioneer VHS/DVD Recorder (which supports 8x) and it works like a charm. The manual spelled out everything you needed and how to do it and amazingly, I didn't need customer service!! :-)

Anonymous

On the face of the unit is an 800 number for questions. I called several times, each with a different question. Each rep I spoke with was courteous and helpful... got the answer for each question. Unit works great now, BUT YOU MUST USE ONLY 4X DVD-R DISKS. Do NOT use 8x, they won't work.

Anonymous

On the face of the unit is an 800 number for questions. I called several times, each with a different question. Each rep I spoke with was courteous and helpful... got the answer for each question. Unit works great now, BUT YOU MUST USE ONLY 4X DVD-R DISKS. Do NOT use 8x, they won't work.

Silver Member

Post Number: 673
4X DVD-R discs are soon to be a thing of the past, most manufacterers who make good quality discs have already quit making 4X discs. If they won't use 8X discs they will be useless soon.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us