Info on new Toshiba 44NHM84 (dlp) is hard to come by !

Closed: New threads not accepted on this page
  Thread Last Poster Posts Last Post
Archive through January 30, 2005Anonymous100
Archive through January 24, 2005Steven100
Archive through January 05, 2005Sir Enitie100
Archive through December 09, 2004ed100
Closed: New threads not accepted on this page

Username: Avsfan

Post Number: 3
Regarding the rainbows -- I've never seen one; either this set or my previous Samsung. My wife said she's seen the odd one but nothing to warrant a technology shift -- it was the same with the Samsung.

newbuyer
Unregistered guest
Okay lots to report..

I've had 2 full days with my 52" TV now. Some have read and responded over the last couple days to my post regarding grainess. Newer DVDs were okay, while older (for example non-digitally mastered were awful. Viewing distance was about 11 Ft, so that wasn't the issue.
I then upgraded my cheapie components to monster. Marginal difference. My last recourse before i returned the TV was to upgrade my DVD player. I had a progressive sony 575, and traded for a HD LG that does 720p. Presto. Older DVDs were MUCH better (still not perfect, but hey.., and newer ones like Spidey 2 were AMAZING! I also watched Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow tonight and all I can say is WOW. (rainbow issues however, see below).
A DVI cable came with the DVD and I bought a HDMI attachment. Didn't like it. enhanced PQ, yes. But also enhances the weaknesses in flawed sources. settled on the monster components as best-of-all-worlds type choice.

I also got HD yesterday, and it's absolutely jaw-dropping even with basic RGB components (not enough HD content on cable to justify more expensive ones. After the Super Bowl, there's not much to watch for a while, anyway.). I was also suprised by the SD. Yes, a handful of channels are unwatchable, but most are comparible to my CRT, and a few others are excellent.

I don't see any "clay faces," distorted pixles, ghosting etc. But my wife did see rainbows during Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow DVD tonight. Only after she mentioned it, did I see them when I looked away quickly. She claims she saw them ON SCREEN, without looking away. She didn't see one during spidey 2 last night. Someone a few posts ago mentioned he sees them during high contrast B&W-type scenes. Well, this whole movie is CGI, filmed like that style on purpose, so it makes sense. I'll be honest, though, if that's the worst of the rainbows, they don't bother me.

So a lot of trial and error with components, HDMI, DVD, but in the end I'm VERY happy with this set. I havn't even begun to play with my PQ levels yet. There's room for improvement for bright, day-time scenes. But I don't want to mess up the dark-night aspects I have so far. (Blacks/shadows are just incredible on this set).

Anyway, thanks for all those who have helped with answering my questions over the last months (stephen, andy, sharon etc..) I'll be back in a few days..

Bronze Member
Username: Ftd

Post Number: 14
newbuyer congrats,
Less than 2 weeks ago I got a 52HM84, traded in my 44NHM84 for the larger screen. I had the 44" at about 8-9' viewing distance using DVI cables, and the PQ on everything was great. I knew 8' was too close for the 52" so we moved it to another room to get 10' of viewing distance. I got to tell you so far I am missing the 44NHM84. DVDs are great, but SD and HD were better on the 44" TV. As you know this unit uses HDMI which I do not have yet. I'm using Monster component cables and from what I am reading I don't think HDMI is going improve the PQ that much. I'm just too close !!!!
Those of you still shopping around !
It is very important to pay attention to the recommended viewing distances for these TVs. You need more than 10' to really take advantage of the 52" or larger screens.

Bronze Member
Username: S_mack

Post Number: 43
Hey all. I had my first problem with PQ tonight. But I'm not sure if its the tv or the particular DVD - "I am Sam"

In one scene at the lawer's (Pfeiffer) home, she and Penn are sitting in a room with solid red walls and low ambient lighting. The room is lit with lamps, so the glow of the lamps has the walls going from brightly lit to heavily shawdowed in a circular pattern away from the lamps (trying to explain as best I can). The red was so incredibly pixelated it was distracting! Its like there were more shades of red than the tv (dvd?) could handle. It looked like how highly compressed avi files look sometime, or DVDs that have been copied and compressed and some of the data has been lost. This was a retail rental DVD, not a copy.

Again, I have no idea if it is simply the DVD mastering or if it is artifacting of the TV. If someone else has that movie and is able to watch it on a CRT, let me know.

ServiceMenuMike
Unregistered guest
can anyone help me out? i am still looking for some default (or near default :-) ) settings in the service menu for the 44NHM84. it would probably take 15min to pop into the service menu (hold down menu on remote and TV front panel for ~5sec) and jot down their settings. i found someone on another forum who gave me this info for the LG RT-44SZ60DB but their seems to be some significant differences. i am looking for these:

DLP Driver > DDP1010 >

CWI =
Colour Temp = (let's start with medium and if you have the patience/time i can get more later)
R gain =
G gain =
B gain =
R offset =
G offset =
B offset =
<next>
GAMMA table =

AD9883A Main >

R gain =
G gain =
B gain =
R offset =
G offset =
B offset =
Sync Control =
Sync on G Thr. =
Sync Sep. Thr. =
<next>
Pre-Coast =
Post-Coast =
Phase =
Target Y-Offset =
Target Cb-Offset =
Target Cr-Offset =
Target Y-Gain =
Target Cb-Gain =
Target Cr-Gain =

it's a bit of time but hopefully someone will find it in their heart... :-)

a n d y
Unregistered guest
avsfan, if you notice the flickering and your color wheel is making high-pitch noise. I will seriously consider exchange it for a new one. There are a few users (me included) who had DOA or defective first unit.

a n d y
Unregistered guest
newbuyer, glad to hear the 52HM84 works for you. Can you elaborate on the Monster vs RCA component cables? Are they the same length?

ServiceMenuMike, I will do that when I have time.

Anonymous

ServiceMenuMike,

Here you go..

DLP Driver > DDP1010 >

CWI = 254
Colour Temp = med
R gain = 112
G gain = 96
B gain = 103
R offset = -11
G offset = -11
B offset = -8
<next>
GAMMA table = 0

AD9883A Main >

R gain = 130
G gain = 134
B gain = 131
R offset = 120
G offset = 96
B offset = 134
Sync Control = 182
Sync on G Thr. = 189
Sync Sep. Thr. = 32
<next>
Pre-Coast = 0
Post-Coast = 0
Phase = 16
Target Y-Offset = 16
Target Cb-Offset = 128
Target Cr-Offset = 128
Target Y-Gain = 219
Target Cb-Gain = 224
Target Cr-Gain = 224

Please enlighten us on what your have learned playing with the various settings ;)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
Hehe... I wonder if the lesson is: Don't play with the settings!

J/K Mike - more power to you. Thanks for being the lab rat

ServiceMenuMike
Unregistered guest
awesome. thanks. when i get home i'll record my current settings and then shove these defaults back in. hopefully then i will see some of the artifacting that made me jump into the service menu and hopefully figure out what i did to get rid of them. i'll let you know what i find.

i changed some parameters in other menus as well that i might hit you up for at a later date, but these are the ones that seemed to affect the picture for the inputs that i am using.

lesson learned? likely not. nothing like that feeling of progress when you break something and then spend hours getting back to the status quo...

thanks again.
m.

newbuyer
Unregistered guest
andy, the $80 monster components (4ft) were not that much better than the $40 RCA components (6ft) on the older Sony 575. But i did notice a difference on the new LG DVD player with the monster -- not huge, but probably worth the extra 50 bucks. (although I'm sure a $50 set of acoustic research components would have been tjust as good ... I just had too many things to return in the end, and decided to just keep the monsters to avoid the hassle).
The RCA components were awkward as well. instead of one long cord with three R G B heads (like most components) it had three seperate cords for each colour. Made things even more crowded at the back of the TV.

Anonymous

From SMM:
"...an aggressive cut-off to black in shadow areas. this had the effect of giving things like people's hair and under chin shadow areas a pixelated and "impressionistic" look. not good. DVD through component was not nearly as bad but still there. the colour seemed to also go greenish a few pixels before being "cut-off" to black. seemed like either a gamma problem or low luminosity clipping to get deeper blacks."

I am having the exact same issues on both SAT TV & DVDs (using DVI with 720p DVD player) and also the pixelation on walls etc that Steven expereienced. Between the two I think the TV will be going back.

To be clear everyting else about the set is quite good....and certainly better than my 27" Sony XBR....just not sure it is $3K better!

T

Anonymous

I've noticed this pixelation and black crush only on my upconversion dvd player; Samsung 841 (an absolute piece of garbage)!! But if you use interlace mode on the dvd player and let the tv upconvert, the picture was fine. Progressive works well too but I find that interlace seems to be cleaner?

Saw what Steve was talking about in "I am Sam"... Try playing it on interlace and see if you still have this problem. I think I might have to do with the video processor on the set, or on your dvd player.

ServiceMenuMike
Unregistered guest
has anyone viewed Master & Commander on this set (44NHM84, or any other DLP for that matter)? it appears to be quite a dark and desaturated movie and on my 44NHM84 it is absolutely unwatchable. i'm not being a videophile here either, it is brutal. generally i can find scenes here and there in movies which show some defects but that whole movie is bad news. i compared it with my PC using my 17" LCD and it is fine (dark but natural colours and nice and moody). i would have thought that something like the matrix would be similar with all the grey, colourlessness when they are on the ship, but it looks quite good...

m.

Anonymous

Again try using the interlace mode off your dvd player. Also, turn the sharpness way down you usually don't need it at all on a digital source.

TW
Unregistered guest
SMM

I had the exact same problem with Master & Commander - unwatchable, but will try the 'interlace' mode as suggested by Announymous.

T

Username: Brooky

Thunder Bay, Ontario Canada

Well, I think I've had my 44NHM84 long enough to make an honest evaluation of it. I got it last Thursday and I've hardly turned it off yet. Starting with the general issues with the set, myself nor anyone else watching it has yet to see a "rainbow effect". As far as noise goes, it couldn't be quieter. There is a momentary high pitched squeal while it boots up but I think that it's coming from the speakers on my stereo that I have it hooked up to and not the tv itself. It lasts less then a second and you really have to listen to hear it. The picture quality ranges from jaw dropping to mediocre. This of course depends on the signal and video quality of the station being viewed. I have my set hooked up with satellite (Bell ExpressVu in Canada) via a DVI cable. I've seen some shows on PBS HDTV that I normally wouldn't watch but because the PQ is so awesome, I watched a few of them. I find myself watching whatever shows look best rather than what I'd normally watch. The best PQ experience that I've had yet was watching "American Idol" last night. It looked absolutely incredible. I don't thank that it could have possibly looked any better. Watching DVD's has been mixed. The computer animated movies (Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc.) were a sincere pleasure to watch while some of the real life movies ranged from very good to so so. I find that there is a problem with the blacks while watching the DVD's. I'm hooked up via componant cables by the way. A few other things worth mentioning... I find myself adjusting the color, contrast, sharpness etc. for just about every channel that I change to. I'm sure that this is because of the signal rather than the tv itself. Also the white/bright scenes are incredibly bright, which is a good thing in my books. All in all I'm liking this set a lot and am pleased with my purchase. The real test will be when Nascar season starts in a few weeks. This is one of the main reasons that I bought an HDTV set to begin with. I'm also looking forward to the Super Bowl, but not as much as Nascar. That sums up my evaluation of the 44NHM84. I hope this helps someone. Enjoy yours...

rainbo brite
Unregistered guest
!#$#% amazing that most people on this thread don't see rainbows, yet every single person that has seen my 44nhm has seen rainbows. wtf could be wrong here??? is it just coincidence that myself and everyone else that has seen my tv are in the small percentage that see rainbows, or could something really be wrong with my tv? I haven't had a chance to call toshiba yet but hopefully I will be able to tonight.

ServiceMenuMike
Unregistered guest
i see rainbows on this tv all of the time. it doesn't particularily bother me or give me headaches, etc. my wife saw it a few times the first night we sat down to watch it. i hadn't mentioned this "fault" of dlp's to her. i thought that i was going to be boxing it up again, but she hasn't seen them since.

m.

rainbowsrainbows
Unregistered guest
cool...I don't feel alone now. I thought I was the only one. I'm still debating whether it bothers me enough to return it and pay 600.00 more for the JVC. If I had a lot of money it would be an easy choice...but unfortunately I'm poor.

Bronze Member
Username: Kenmur

Post Number: 28
Re: POOR MAN with a K$ screen...I'm Jealous...

I have been on the fence for a while now, in regards to buying the 44NHM84 or 52HM84 DLP.
The prices up until the end of Jan. were $2499. and $2999. for them. I checked today with a store and they had put back the prices to $2999. and $3999. What the...please bring back boxin' day prices...I see sunsets...
Upload

newbuyer
Unregistered guest
rainbow brite, I see them on certain broadcasts,and a few DVDs but I have to look for it. It isn't a big deal for me. My wife apparently sees them ON SCREEN, not just when you look away quickly, like what happens to the majority of people. I basically told her tough s---. Well no, i was a bit more diplomatic. In fairness, she saw them through the whole DVD Capitan and The Land of Tomorrow (or whatever the F it's called), but only sees them occasionaly on everything else. That, for me, was also the only time I saw them more than once an hour or so. The film is visually stunning on this TV at certain parts, but the b&W, sepia-style of the movie brought on a lot of rainbows, I think.
I'm not suprised if all your friends see it IF they've been told what to look for. (I only noticed after my wife said something --(damn her))But if they see it on their own, without provocation, than that's pretty weird..

rainbo brite
Unregistered guest
newbuyer, I didn't tell them what to look for...I did mention something called the rainbow effect though. The first person who saw it, I had just started telling him there was this thing called rainbow effect that affected this type of technology------anyways, as soon as I said rainbow effect he said "oh, is that what all those rainbows I'm seeing are??"

Someone else who saw it was my dad who thinks I'm insane and severely neurotic about these things and tend to exaggerate. I told him I was seeing rainbows and he didn't believe me. He didn't even believe there was such a thing at first.... He came over, started watching it and then he saw them too.

I see them like you described your wife seeing them. Pretty much all the time, but more in certain scenes than others...no provocation needed. I'm really hoping I can get used to them.

Username: Sir_enitie

Toronto, ON CANADA

Post Number: 8
It's possible that I've lucked out with a good set, perhaps my lighting and room conditions are ideal, or perhaps my visual acuity is just not up to par, but I've had my 44HM84 for about six weeks and I haven't seen a rainbow once.

I've tried looking from different angles, I've tried looking away quickly, I've even brought people over and ASKED them to look for rainbows. Nothing. Nada. Niente.

Kenmur:
That absolutely stinks. Where do you live? If you're in the Toronto area, I'd suggest going to one of the mom & pop electronics places (Yonge/Gerrard area or electronics alley in Mississauga) where you have more latitude to negotiate price. Reply to this message and I'll give you the names of a few specific stores.

Username: Sir_enitie

Toronto, ON CANADA

Post Number: 9
I just found another forum (only a couple of posts) with a prospective buyer who claims that he got Toshiba to admit that the 44NMH84 was manufactured by LG, and that it doesn't use the Talen light engine. I'm not certain how I feel about this -- I mean, we were all pretty certain that this was the case, but I don't think that anyone here has ever gotten a Toshiba rep to say so in no uncertain terms.

What really got my back up was the reply -- in which the poster mentions that the 44NMH84 is "a nice entry level unit." Grrrrr.

Oh well. It's a little late in the show to start rethinking my purchase. ; P

Link:
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7596-0.html?forumID=60&threadID=56699&messageID=673 904

a n d y
Unregistered guest
rainbo brite, try change your room's lighting condition or move the TV to a different location for a different viewing angle. You may also call Toshiba or exchange it for a different set. If problem persist, you should avoid single-chip DLP entirely.

Sir Enitie, I'd say "the 44NHM84 is a very nice unit with entry level price". We should all thanks Toshiba as it is trying to gain DLP market share. LG has more experience with DLP than Toshiba, so it may actually a good thing that the 44NHM84 is manufactured by LG.

Anonymous

For you fellas that don't like the black levels on this TV, that is you servicemenumike. Try setting the gamma table to 1, gamma increases the light levels in the midtones so that should help. I recently tried it on my set and I see more detail in the shadows, just bring the contrast down. I don't know if this has any trade off's, time will tell;)...Hope this helps.

Unregistered guest
The issue about the shadow details may be caused by your DVD player servicemenuMike. Some DVD player can put awfull picture on your screen. Just a tought. I just bought a harman Kardon DVD22 player at 250$can and it is said that this player can beat some 1000$ DVD player. Unfortunatly ill get my toshiba in 2 weeks...Can't wait !!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
That's a good point 187. Up until now, my TV has always been the performance bottleneck in the system so I never gave a second thought to the PQ served up from the DVD player. Now that the TV is the highlight, I need to start looking at weaknesses elsewhere.

As far as anon's suggestion that I try the interlaced mode on the DVD - mine is interlaced already. I don't even have a progressive scan.

newbuyer
Unregistered guest
rainbow, your case goes above and beyond any other rainbow effect issue i've heard of to date. I say take the TV back and see if it's better. if it isn't than, I think DLP is just not compatible with you (or everybody you know??). it's thaat laatter issue that makes me believe that its the TV and not you (guys).
If i was seeing while my eyes were still "on screen," i would't be able to take it either. But, like I said it just happpens when I'm conscience of it as i look away on certain channels. But last night during the State of the Union, I tried a dozen times to bring them on, and nothing! I guess my boy bush is rainbow-proof!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
"But last night during the State of the Union, I tried a dozen times to bring them on, and nothing! I guess my boy bush is rainbow-proof!"

Oh my god I've never heard a more appropriate statement! Lol!

Considering the g.ay community uses the rainbow as a unifying symbol, and Bush is as homophobic as it gets... calling him "rainbow-proof" is priceless. Heil Hit-err...umm-Bush!

Can you believe this board considers g.ay an offensive word!!! I should lodge a complaint. That's sickening. I guess "partner" should be out-lawed as well. Bad ecoustics.com.

newbuyer
Unregistered guest
well that's not really what I had in mind. Yes it was a light pun, but whatever your geo-polital thing is, it's pretty weak to morally equate bush to hitler. But I digress, this is a TV board, and I guess to each their own.

On a more relevant note, anyone with a digital or HD terminal should be able to change their grey borders to black in a snap. I'm not sure about Motorola box in the U.S., but in Canada anyone with a Rogers terminal can go into seetings, under "borders" and change from "medium" to "dark.." which makes them black. Previously, only my HD channels were black, but after I did this, all the channels are.

a n d y
Unregistered guest
Any one know the remote control code for Shaw's Motorola DCT2x00 cable box?

One beauti of 44NHM84 is that it makes the side bars look like side speakers.

newbuyer
Unregistered guest
andy, you need a code to change setting with Motorola cable terminal? That's weird. With rogers I just went into my options and changed them.

Anonymous

Does anyone have any information or interesting discoveries playing with the service menu?

Username: Limber

Post Number: 2
I picked up this TV a couple of weeks ago, but so far I've been unable to learn how to permanently make changes to the "Main window size" or "Sub window size" (Picture-in-Picture) sections of the service menu. I can tweak these things to my heart's content on a temporary basis, eliminating overscan and centering the image, but the instant I change inputs, or switch aspect ratios, *POOF* -- all my work goes down the drain, and the settings revert back to their factory defaults.

Has anyone figured out how to overcome this?

Incidentally, I phoned Toshiba Canada today, and the telephone support assistant told me that Toshiba can't fix this or any other service menu issue, because they don't yet have the "special" remote needed to gain access, but they'll be getting them in a few weeks. Unless there's a different hidden service menu (which I doubt), I guess he said that to lure me into keeping the TV beyond Future Shop's one-month return period. Sneaky.

CRT
Unregistered guest
To program Motorola remote:
The three codes that Comcast originally provided (got from Toshiba ) did not work for me, thus had to revert to the following....

1. Hit TV button
2. Hold setup button until 2 blinks on TV button
3. enter 9-9-1 (look for 2 blinks on TV button
4. Hit setup button and then tv button. Keep alternating between these two button until the tv set turns off (go slow enough to allow time for set to turn off). I had to alternate ~20 times before it found correct code.....).
5. Hit setup button to lock results.

My Motoral remore now works like a charm.

Good Luck!
Chris

CRT
Unregistered guest
My Apologies...regarding Motorola remore:

line 4. in directions should read:

Hit Power button and then TV button. Keep alternating between two buttons until the TV set turns off (go slow enough to allow time for set to turn off). I had to alternate ~20 times before it found correct code.....).

Hope I caught you in time!
Chris

Anonymous

If someone has the time can you tell me your settings on the VPC3230 and the UPD64011 AV on your service menu? I'm not to sure if I changed something by accident..... Thanks!

Anonymous

Hello folks...a newbie here to this forum but have been avidly reading for info on Toshiba 44NHM84 and it's been very helpful.

Went to buy this Toshiba today from ABC Warehouse on a sweet deal but got cold feet at the last moment as the PQ looked pretty average on a standard cable feed that was probably split umpteen ways. I have seen this TV on HD and it looks amazing but my question is this:

How does the TV fare with a standard cable connection? How about a digital cable connection too? I don't plan on paying for HD thru my cable company until a few months from now and want to make sure that I'm not getting less picture quality from standard cable on the Toshiba than on a regular old CRT TV. I'm realistic enough to know that standard cable won't look nearly as good as digital or HD...

Any help will be greatly appreciated. If I should be in a different thread, please dierect me.

newbuyer
Unregistered guest
Anono: I think the consensus for SD is that there simply isn't a consensus. It's very hit and miss, dependant on a) the channel b) your cable source (clean or direct power) c) I've also found that the show itself makes a diff.
I bought this TV (I have the 52" so SD stretched over a big screen should be an even bigger issue for me) already in mind that SD was not going to be up to snuff. I got it for DVDs, the superbowl in HD, and I was happy to wait until the day where my fav shows would be in HD (some are like, 24 for example).
However, I'm generally pleased with the SD. I finds that yes, some shows are unwatchable, but then I go back to the same channel later on, and a different show will look fine. I find very few channls to be poor 24/7. Most are OK, as long as you don't stretch out to widescreen.
I find that the digital channels are more or less the same--perhaps a bit better-- as my 32" CRT upstairs. very good, again, if you don't stretch out.
And of course, i don't need to tell you about HD, which is just amazing.
I'm pretty picky, and I am pretty much satisfied with SD on my 52". You shouldn't have a problem with the 44". good luck

Anonymous

This is the moment I've been waiting for. Well, perhaps one of the many excuses I made in order to rationalize buying this TV. Of course, I am talking about the Superbowl!!
Anyone else excited?

Anonymous

Might be just my opinion but anything that has the HD3 chip in it has a better SD picture. HD2+ has a sharper HD picture, being a true 720p. If you are like me, you will probably stop watching SD channels all together.... But if you don't have HD for the big game you may be disappointed. Football in HD is nothing short of amazing!!

Unregistered guest
I know that there is a «cable booster» in the menu of the toshiba 44". Did anyone used it on cable and what was the result ???

Unregistered guest
And come on guys we want to see some pic of your tv in action ;)

PS: Did anyone played Xbox or PS2 on his set???

Unregistered guest
Played Xbox on the 44" and was somewhat underwhelmed. But I believe this be more of result of the Xbox (jaggies) and I had the sharpness way to high. Overall I am pleased I just can't wait till XBOX 2 which should have native support for 720p on all games.

Unregistered guest
Hey Mikey,

Tell me the result when you'll try a 720p game:-). BTW I am just like you I can't wait for the native resolution of 720p and the insane graphics of xbox2 and ps3 !!!

newbuyer
Unregistered guest
Just watched the SB in HD. Wow. I got my money's worth already. Too bad the g@@dam$ed pats had to win again!!

Username: Dmill

Bellevue, WA

"187" ... Since you asked, this is for you! Here's a picture of our new Toshiba 44NHM84 that we got last week. This is an actual live picture (using the "freeze" mode)...
Upload

My wife and I couldn't be happier, but I think she likes the new entertainment center the most. ;) We're hooked-up to Comcast with their new HD/DVR box that allows us to record up to 60 hours of programming (like a TiVo). Still can't believe how awesome HD looks! In the Seattle area, we have around 13 HD channels, 90% of 'em being the ones we watch. In the 5 days since coming on-line, neither of us have seen the rainbow effect, although I did see them on a Samsung 46 during my TV shopping.

Overall, I am very pleased with my choice of the Toshiba 44NHM84. fyi

Username: Mcmger01

Post Number: 1
Toshiba 44NHM84. Got it last week. Very impressed with HD quality on digital cable (Illico). I have it hooked up via DVI. I bought a new Panisonic progressive scan DVD player which i have connected with Monster componenet cables, set at 480p. Quality here is good but nothing like HD TV. Is is normal? Also, I cannot get the 'monitor' output to work at all. Is anyone else having this trouble? This forum has been great in guiding me through the TV selection process. Tks.

Bellevue, WA

Post Number: 4
Hey ... Have any of you thought about hooking up an hour-meter to your Toshiba? I'm a nut on "stats" and since I just got my 44NHM84, would love to do this. Be neat to know just how many hours the bulb does last. Since the TV is in standby mode when it's off, the adaptive wiring would hafta be internal. Too bad it doesn't have an AC outlet like receivers or cable boxes. Any info would be appreciatied!

Anonymous

You can check the hours on the bulb in the service menu.

Post Number: 5
Service menu?? When, where and how do I access the service menu? I've been through this tv and it's manual with a fine tooth comb and can't find a service menu. Help me with this one please...

Anonymous

It's been mentioned in this thread before. Press Menu on the TV and menu on the remote and hold for about 10 secs. Be warned that you can really screw things up on your TV if you don't know what you are doing. So if you change any of the settings make sure you record the original settings.

Unregistered guest
Thanks for the pic DMILL :-) Your entertainment center looks really slick !!!!

Post Number: 6
Thanks Anon. When I first found this thread it was several hundred posts long and I guess I missed a few things while reading through it. So I apologize for that. Thanks for the warning too. I'm going to have a look at the service menu right now but I'll be extremely careful!!

Bellevue, WA

OK, I'm sure this is buried somewhere(?) in this thread, but it's a quick answer, I'm sure.

BEFORE I do my first careful peek into the Service Menu, for us rookies ... is there any trick on getting OUT of it? Thanks in advance.

ps: Is there a thread on just the Toshiba Service Manual operation? If not, there should be.

Anonymous

Just press menu on your remote again and you will get out. There is a toshiba Service Manual but it's really not intended for the general public so I have no idea where you can get one, someone like a Toshiba technican or a professional calibration specialist would problably have a copy.

When dealing with the service menu I would just play with menu items; DDP1010 and AD9883A. The other menu items have to deal with the RF, AV signal and Video Deinterlacer.

The only tweaks I have made, and mind you I'm still playing with it are:

In DDP1010
- change the gamma table to 1 (Make the colours more vibrant)
- G gain in the Med temp to 100 (I like a warmer temp)

In AD9863A Main
- changed the G offset to 76 from 96 (brings out more black details in shadows)

It's just a matter of trial and error and personal preference. It also helps to have a calibration disc (DVE or Avia) to help you with the settings. But if you want a perfect picture you will have to call a calibration specialist. Just make sure you record those original settings!! Not every TV has the same settings out of the factory, so if you lose it it's pretty hard to get back.

servicemenu
Unregistered guest
anon,

have you figured out how to go from a sub-menu back to the main service menu without exiting it completely and having to go back in??

Anonymous

nope!! It's really a pain.

ServiceMenuMike
Unregistered guest
well, for anyone who cares, my 44NHM84 saga has ended. i ended up returning the tv. when i went through the process of selecting a tv from the dizzying array of sets available, i originally narrowed in on DLPs, was looking in the 40" to 50" range, and ideally a set with no side speakers. the toshiba fit the bill nicely.

of course, seeing it in the store and living with it at home are two different things. in the end i think i am just not happy with the DLP technology. the rainbows i saw once i got it home, but i could live with it (however, my significant other was starting to express her displeasure). what really irked me was what i perceived as a lack of smooth tonal transitions. i mostly found this on skin tones, where patchy colour artifacts of red and green could be made out across people's faces when going from highlights to shadow. i was also not impressed with general colour reproduction in dimly lit areas/scenes.

i have spent the last 3 weeks rifling through the service menus and popping into local bestbuys / futureshops / friends to have a look at other displays in comparison. the obvious other DLP contenders are the Samsungs, but while the Sammys i observed in the store did seem to handle low light levels better, i could still see the same issues, especially the green tinting in shadows. the Sammy's might have been good enough in this department but i don't like the soft images.

so, in the end, i think that consumer-level DLPs are not a good match for me. i think i am going to move on an LCD projection in the near future (and welcome a whole new set of annoying limitations i'm sure...).

as for service menu musings, in the end i didn't come up with a finely tuned set of parameters, but what i did find improved the picture on my set to my eyes was to take the G offset in AD9883A and drop it to 22 (from what appears to be factory settings of 90-110'ish). a whole lot of black level is lost when this is done, so then in the DDP1010 menu i would have to lower the R G and B offset values from ~-10 to something around -40 to -60. then i would calibrate the set using the standard controls and the avia disk, starting with the "standard" picture setting. to my eye this significantly improved the green colourization of shadow detail and made dim and desaturated movies like Master & Commander watchable (but not up to comparison to CRTs).

thanks to the peeps who posted their default SM settings for me...

m.

MDA
Unregistered guest
Anybody know how to enter the service menu on a 62HMX84??? I tried the procedure referred to above (simultaneously holding MENU on remote and TV front panel) to no avail. Apparently the procedure is not consistent across Toshiba products...

Peter A.
Unregistered guest
"Houston, we have a problem! (with my new Toshiba 44NHM84)" Bought it on New Years Eve. Everything was excellent up until abiut a week ago. Now more and more often when I turn it on, the tiny orange light on the front of the TV starts flashing, as it supposed to, but instead of flashing about 30 times and turning the TV on, it would flash 50-60 times and than change to solid red without ever turniong the TV on. Anybody experieced anything like that?

JNO
Unregistered guest
Peter A. Unfortunatly your TV is probably dead. I had a similar problem but my TV also made a snapping buzzing sound. I was lucky in that it happened within the 30 day return period so I took it back to Video Only and they replaced it no questions asked. My new one has a much better picture than my original so I think it had some other problems.

Username: Steve1000

My experience with PC connected to Toshiba 44NHM84 at 1280x720 resolution:

DVI and RBG and works nicely at 800x600 and 1024x768 resolution. My ATI Radeon 9800 however produces at 'no signal' on the TV at 1280x720. I was wanting to take advantage of the full screen for playing DVD's on my computer.

This problem was also described by Jean M previously on this thread. He described an HDTV component adapter available from ATI to solve the problem. I found a more simple solution that may also work with non-ATI video cards.

The DVI button on the remote actually toggles between two modes: DVI-PC and DVI-DTV (similar with the RGB button). The DVI-PC mode will accept 800x600 or 1024x768 resolution. Adjust the resolution to 1280x720 and 'no signal' appears. However, immediately press the TV remote DVI button to enter the DVI-DTV mode and the signal returns and fills the complete screen area without stretching. 1280x720 resolution with my Radeon 9800 works well in DVI-DTV or RGB-DTV modes.

There is some overscanning present, but I believe this is present with the HDTV component adapter also. The overscan could likely be minimized with the powerstrip program but I have not tried.

My widescreen DVD's are awesome, filling the complete screen nicely without distortion.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
I know I said I wasn't going to post anymore, but in case anyone is looking for the matching stand to the 44nmh84, there is one on eBay starting at a penny. I have no idea what the guy wants for shipping. Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20488%26item%3D4357800282% 26

Unregistered guest
Does anyone know if Leons has a great return policy like 30 days or something ????

Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Sirengal

Post Number: 36
D-Mill where did you get that awesome Entertainment Centre?

Bellevue, WA

Post Number: 6
Ms S ... Got it at Levitz, of all places. It's their Cambridge unit. As I mentioned above, the TV stand is 41" wide, so the TV fits like it was custom made. We really like it, as does my wife.

orig-newbuyer
Unregistered guest
187: I bought at leons and the salesman told me 30 days, although it says nothing on the bill

Bronze Member
Username: Sirengal

Post Number: 37
D-Mill, How much did it cost?

Chicken in Wpg
Unregistered guest
Hi and thanks everyone for passing on your knowledge and experiences. I have been back and forth to Future SHop at least 4 times to look/maybe purchase the 44NHM84 for $2699. Price seemed all right and picture far better than SOny's 40"LCD projection. The possibility of seeing this rainbow effect always bothered me (and will likely bother my wife if I tell her about the potential problem).
After spending an hour reading all these posts I am now under the impression that the effect is being seen by more peolple than I oringinally thought. I am not sure if I could mentally dismiss it either as some can.
I am chickening out and will likely wait another year to see what new tech comes along.
Thanks again
Chicken in Wpg

Unregistered guest
Big thanks to you orig-newbuyer !!! Just like you it says nothing on my bill.

Bellevue, WA

Post Number: 7
Ms S ... The cost was $1299, but we got 10% off for NOT taking advantage of the "1-Year, No Interest" offer.

Unregistered guest
Can someone post a good seting (color, brightness, contrast, etc.) of their set cause mine will be delivered tomorrow and I want to get a good picture right away.

Thanks !

Bellevue, WA

"187" - Before you go messing with any video settings, try it "as is" from the factory. Mine was damn good with no changes. I've done a little tweaking since, but not really that much. MAKE SURE you record the original video settings BEFORE you start doing your own adjustments ... in case you want to go back to the factory specs. fyi

Bellevue, WA

Post Number: 9
Has anyone tried removing the silver speaker panel? I removed the 4 screws (2 on each side) from behind, but the panel still didn't want to come off ... and I didn't want to force it.

Reason for asking: I'd like to paint this speaker panel to match the dark brown trim on the rest of the TV.

Once you remove the 2 screws on each side, the speaker grill is still held in place by 4 plastic clips along the underside, as well as a bunch of sticky pads along the top.

Since there's so little space, I needed to use my little finger to depress each clip, while pulling the grill's lower edge outward. Start with the two outer clips, then move on to the inner ones. Then simply pull the whole thing away.

I chose to paint it the same glossy black as the strip containing all the logos and buttons. Sure is a lot nicer without all that needless silver (heck, the speakers only fire sound through perhaps 5% the total surface area anyway).

Here's an addendum to DMill's question: Has anyone successfully removed the entire front panel?

I'm curious to see the inner-workings of this T.V. (and perhaps to see whether the picture can be improved), but I'm uncertain how to safely do so without accidentally damaging any of the thin wiring. Some of the wires are attached to the speaker grill, others aren't, and at least a few pass deeper into the cabinet. Scary stuff, and I'm not brave enough to risk compromising the warranty without a little guidance. Has anyone taken the plunge?

Bellevue, WA

Post Number: 10
Limber - THANKS MUCH for the tips on removing the front silver speaker panel! Now I can proceed (with caution) without worry of breaking something.

So, you just used gloss black, huh? Not sure if I want the gloss look ... may try Krylon's #1613, which is a semi-gloss black.

Thanks again!

Glad I could assist.

Regarding the choice of paint, my personal opinion is that it's best to avoid introducing a third shade of black into the equation (or 4th if you include the screen). I decided I should match either the dull-black picture frame or the gloss-black strip.

In hindsight, however, I think your initial choice of matching the frame is probably best. The gloss paint attracts more dust, reflects more light, and retains fingerprints. I'm thinking of cleaning it off and re-doing it in the dull finish.

Mikey - OR
Unregistered guest
Hey all I have question about the brightness settings on the 44" Tosh. I have been using my XBox as a DVD player and I got around to running the THX optimizer off a disk. I found that I needed to lower my brightness down to 40. Movies look great, XBOX looks like crap TOO dark. Has this been the experience of others? To get xbox to look good brightness needs to be about 65-70. Your input is appreciated.

servicemanual
Unregistered guest
I ordered a service manual for this thing. It should be here within 2 weeks. If it shows how to take the thing apart, i'll post the instructions.

Anonymous

how to lessen the effect of rainbows: first turn on a light behind your tv.A 6500k low power light is ideal but I am using a 2700k 13 watt flourescent and it works fine. This took my eye fatigue away. Next,when you look away from the tv,never move your eyes sideways.After a few times you find it easy. After a while you start to ignore the dorothy effect.Lastly, watch the dark movies on your crt or in a theatre.

Bronze Member

Bellevue, WA

Post Number: 11
"servicemanual" - What's the part number for the service manual? Who'd you call to place your order and how much $$? Just may get one myself. TIA

servicemenu
Unregistered guest
dmill, don't bother. the service manual for this thing is the biggest piece of crap I have ever seen. It came as a pdf file on a cd someone burned on a regular old cd burner on a PC and just slapped a label on it. Damn thing cost me 22.00. The info in the manual is worthless...the info on how to get into the service menu is wrong (actually it's not there...), there are no disassembly instructions, nothing on how to manually focus it, just an exploded view of the set which is basically a parts diagram, and some info on what some of the settings in the service menu do. I suppose it has some cool stuff on color wheel adjustments and stuff, but there's very little that's not available on the internet for free. The table of contents says it's supposed to be around 48 pages, but it's only 26 pages.

Had I known this is what it was going to be, I would have saved the 22.00 and gone to a strip bar or something usefull like that.

servicemenu
Unregistered guest
hell, I'm almost tempted to put it up for public download on principle alone for them charging 22.00 for something like this.

Bronze Member

Bellevue, WA

Post Number: 12
"servicemenu" - Bummer about the service manual not being what you thought it should be. Guess I'll just read forums for any info I can pick up regarding our Toshiba 44NHM84.

Have had it for a month now, using Comcast HD box (and DVR) and I still can't get over how amazing the HD picture quality is! I tell everybody it's like a continuous post card ... and standard def. isn't too bad either. My wife and I are really enjoying it.

Again, sorry to hear that you wasted $$ on the service manual. You could've had at least 4 table dances otherwise, huh? ;)

Bronze Member
Username: Kenmur

Post Number: 29
Toshiba 44NHM84 purchase at Future Shop Pointe Claire on Monday Evening...price $2499.99 with the stand at $0.01 for a price of $2500.00

Next morning...hooked up TV and voila...nothing...nada...rien & zippo. The TV did not come to life.

I have been following this thread since OCT or NOV of 2004 and I have been a fence sitter for quite a long time. I finally pulled the trigger and bought at Future Shop vs Leon's.

The TV was one that they had in stock...upstairs where the salesman had earlier told me that they keep their returns (mostly at XMAS and such). I should have been a little leary...but I had finally comitted and I thought that the one box that they had in store would be OK...oops..!

I am awaiting a call back from my salesdude (a call to the store informed me that he was out for lunch and I left a message with another salesdude for a callback).

When I purchased the TV, I asked many a question. The conversation was about the lamp and the warranty and life of the TV in general. I asked him about problems...DOA's and if they have been returns and such.

He told me that the lamp thru Future Shop was not covered ( it was covered by Toshiba for the first year). Everthing else was covered thru Future Shop with a warranty and I ended up taking a 4 year $369. policy with thru them.

Well, I am up to $2869. before taxes. I am happy about finally making the purchase...but UNhappy with the DOA thru Future Shop.

I am going to make the decision this afternoon regarding keeping the TV...returning it and waiting for new stock to come into Future Shop.

I had been at Leon's just before going to FS and I had asked them about their warranty and such. They told me that the lamp was covered for the length of their warranty purchased thru them...i.e. ...................the phone rings...

Hello...It is my salesdude and he informs me that they can have another TV and make a switch on Thursday...I say yehaw...Let's Do It.

Many more questions and post to follow I am sure of it.

Thanks for letting me bend your ear about my foray into the world of Big Screen TV Land...

Signing off for now. .. ...Upload

kenmur, I also recieved a DOA Toshiba 44NHM84 from Future Shop about a month and a half ago. It was delivered on a Sunday. I was back in the store early Monday morning and told that a new one was ordered and a pickup/exchange would be done on Thursday. All went smooth and I'm now a happy camper. I didn't know it at the time but the glass screen behind the anti reflective panel was in a million pieces. Be patient. They'll fix you up. By the way, I paid a little less than you with my girlfriends employee discount. But not much less. You got a great deal.

Unregistered guest
I purchased a Toshiba 44NHM84 about 2 months ago. Suddenly this past weekend a black shade appears on the side of the screen. It is almost as if the lamp has died on the outer edge. Is this the case? Has anyone seen or heard of this. I have service coming Monday but thought I'd ask here to see if anyone knew?

Anonymous

I just bought this TV and am NOT terribly technically inclined. The picture for DVDs is pretty good, but I've noticed that the picture on HDTV is not what I expected. it seems everyone on here is really happy with the clarity...am I missing something. Specifically, when I was watching the NCAA basketball this weekend, I noticed that there is some blurriness around the words painted on the floor. I've also noticed this occasionally on the DVD (it's older, not progressive scan). Any advice on how to get the clearest possible picture?

a n d y
Unregistered guest
anonymous 0942,

What kind of cable do you use to connect your TV to the HDTV decoder?

CSAKing
Unregistered guest
I have the 4HM84 DLP, and I think its nice. I have it hooked up through Componant to my Xbox and there is a marked improvement. Also, being about 10 - 12 feet back from the TV, it looks incredible in the dark with a high quality DVD playing. And this rainbow thing is imaginary, I havent seen it. My girlfriend tried for days to see it and even tried to force it but never saw it. All I can think of is that the space between part of the screen and the surrounding cover are not aligned propperly and some of the light escapes, but not on my set. Oh and I paid $1648, brand new for my set.

I think the standard cable I have looks good on some channels but very bad on others. My digital HD cable box is enroute, but I am worried about the connection it uses. I hope it has the D-Sub or DVI hookup and not componant. Can anyone help with the HD cable box comcast uses? I would like to know what types of connections they use.

Oh if anyone needs a good DVD, try the Toshiba DVD with upconverter, if you have a HDMI to DVI connector.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=11295 94&CatId=1701

or

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-PG5cxVX3yQG/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=54400&id=morepho tos&i=052SD5970

Bronze Member
Username: Kdog044

Post Number: 49
CSAKing,

If you get the dual tuner HD box it will be a Motorola DCT6412 which has DVI and component video connections. It also has optical and coax digital audio in addition to the two channel analog. I have a 62HMX94 and have it connected via DVI>HDMI.

Luka
Unregistered guest
Peter A.
I have the same problem with my Toshiba 44NHM84. What did you do to solve the problem? I can't return mine because I got it almost 3 months ago.

Username: Alexsih

CSAKing, where did u get that for 1648?

CSAKing
Unregistered guest
I bought it at Brandsmart USA in Florida. Brand new, not refurb. I was going to get the sharp 46 which was 1598.00US.

I noticed this is a canadian site, so sorry if I was not clear. I understand the conversion is a little off. My paying $1658 is just like you paying $2200ca. But Circiut city has the LG that looks just like the Toshiba for $2199us.

Well I found out about the DVI/HDMI thing, its only a connecter that I need and comcast HD tuners are DVI and RGB, so Im good thanks for the help.

Ps. If any one has an Xbox and is still using the RCAs and not the componant wires with HD, your so missing out. Try Doom 3 in HD it will freak you out man.

Peter A.
Unregistered guest
For Luka:
I didn't do anything, other than calling the Customer Service and they started a file in my TV, documenting the problem. The TV works fine 95% of the time. I think the problem is in the color wheel, it doesn't start for some reason. One time when it was not starting, I tapped on the back cover in the area of the light bulb with my hand, and it fired right up. I will give it couple more months, and if it does it again, I will call the repair shop and let them deal with it. I figure, with the "in-home" warranty they will come to me, rather than me taking the TV to them.

Username: Landstander7

For the record, I - like ServiceMenuMike - tried and tried, but I just could not get a satisfactory picture on my 44NHM84.

After much tweaking of my current Toshiba (including some very careful adjustments in the service menu, per this and other threads), I fear I must sadly conclude that it isn't as sharp as the current 3 LCD Sonys, has a subtle pulsating effect that is increasingly annoying, has really really bad grey contrast in the shadows, exhibits a grainy effect in the skin tones in all but the hightest HDTV signals/shows, and I do in fact see the rainbow effect in spades with this unit. . . .

Though I had high hopes and an open mind about DPL tech, I just cannot recommend at least this particular flavor set to anyone at this point. It certainly has soured me personally on the DLP tech (until perhaps the 3-DMD device TVs come out, which should resolve much if not all of the problems I observe, due to no color wheel, and therefore no need to fire the mirrors multiple times to achieve one color, in my opinion)

I will note that I was in the unique position of comparing my set with my friend's 42" LCD RPTV Sony, in the same building, with identical HDTV cable signals from the identical CATV company. There is no substitute, I believe, to sampling a set in the actual setting of a home, as opposed to the showroom. If I hadn't seen my friend's set in his living room for hours and compared it head-to-head with mine several times over several days, I may not even have noticed some of the problems with the Toshiba that I now just can't help but noticing. I don't know if that was a fortunate circumstance, to have easy access to a comparable set, or a curse; would I have noticed all that I did about the 44NHM84 if I didn't have this opportunity for comparison? Perhaps not, perhaps I would have been happy with it.

As it stands, though, I will probably return the 44NHM84 in the next week or so, go back to my 32" SD TV, and wait for the new Sony RPTV LCD units, with the speakers underneath the screen (not on the side), and with purported better brightness/dark contrasts, and which will fit in my space as easily as the Toshiba does/did.

My biggest lesson through all of this is that a high contrast ratio by itself does not translate necessarily into a better picture. With the 2+ DMD chip in this Toshiba, it has a stunning contrast ratio of at least 2000:1, some spec it at 2500:1. On paper, that's really really good, and it had substantial influence on me in my decision to get the Toshiba. But the much much lower contrast ratio Sony RPTV LCD to my eyes just had a better picture, including much better (though of course not perfect) shadow/black reproduction, clarity, picture stability, and skin tone. And, of course, what looks best to my eyes is the final arbiter of what I'll like and enjoy, regardless of the relative strength of on-paper specs of a particular set.

Parting words: Best of luck to all who have and enjoy this set - if it's a winner for you and your eyes, then, well, it's a winner, and there's nothing wrong with that.

BUttMunch
Unregistered guest
Skotte: you do that, and spend 5 grand for a TV thats a little better, I will stick with my Tosh 44. Sony is good but why pay 3 times that for a TV when the signal makes the picture? Or at least part of the picture.

Parting words: Its only as good as your wallet will let it be.

HD Fanatic
Unregistered guest
The new 42" Sonys are reported by C-net and other sources to retail for under 2 grand. They will have cinema black pro technology which uses an automatic iris similar to their front projection units to produce deeper blacks. Sounds like a great idea to me. I will definately be looking at them will they are available.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6451_7-5716805-1.html?tag=bnav

a n d y
Unregistered guest
Skotte, if the rainbow is bothering you, you should go for the LCD.

I too compared deeply with the 44NHM84 and the lowend Sony LCD RPTV (same price as the 44NHM84) but have opposition conclusion. The Sony has a contrasty look that most people like but the 44NHM84 while far from perfect, has better shadow details and more natural color than the over-processed picture of the Sony. LCD is inheritly sharper than DLP but once the image is scaled, it is all up to the scaler. I view mostly SD, and I found it is better to lower the sharpness to get a cleaner picture. As we all know, sharpness usually increase noises as a side-effect.

Username: Stinky

Toronto, Ontario Canada

After reading about all these doubter's complaints. I felt like sharing some pictures of what my 44" dlp looks like after all the service menu adjustments from the good people of this forum. Thanks guys for fixing my TV. Mind you my digital camera sucks so these pictures look much better then they depict.

Upload

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2
Upload

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Upload

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Upload

Username: Landstander7

Post Number: 10
Mr. Munch, please see HD Fanatic's comments regarding the anticipated very very low price of the new Sonys. As a corollary to your parting words, I would add this: You always win (quality/price-wise) when you wait to buy high-tech. Of course, you gotta pull the trigger at some point. That point for me is the sub-2k new Sony RPTV. Everyone must make that trigger pulling decision for themselves.

And Brian. Good for you. Those are nice pictures. Clearly, you like your TV. That's all I ever asked for mine as well. As it turns out, I don't like it and you do. I would be surprised if you took that personally. For the record, I, too, could get stunning clarity and color and even some shadow contrast, but only on the absolute best HD programming, only if it was absolutely exquisitely lighted, like many programs on HDNet and PBS. Anything less (e.g., Deadwood on HBO HD and a lot of 720p movies) was disappointing to me. To me, it was disappointing. Not to you. To me. There's no accounting for taste, including mine.

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Skotte, I see your point if your not satisfied with the picture then you should return it. I will agree that the Sony LCD does have a better SD channel quality.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us