Weave
Unregistered guest
I've been unsuccessfully searching for weeks for a DVD recorder with:

-Component input and output
-Firewire (DV) input, preferably on the front
-5.1 audio output
-capability to set thumbnails, chapters on recorded discs
-IR blaster (not required)
-Program guide & Hard Drive (not required-these come with my Cable Box)
-A dual deck with VHS would be nice, but I realize I'm getting a little greedy now.

Can anyone recommend a recorder with such an array of features?

cervv
Unregistered guest
Sony RDR-HX900
I am looking for similar product. I just found this. Little pricey, but Component In is a must- why record on DVD without it?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Little pricey, but Component In is a must- why record on DVD without it?

Because DVD's are all recorded in 480i. If you use a component input with a progressive signal it will still be downconverted by the DVD player before recording the disc. You add an additional step of deinterlacing which cannot improve the end product at all. S-Video inputs will provide as good (if not better) an end product on your recorded DVD as any other method.

xvxvxvx

USEFUL
Unregistered guest
Actually, Philips makes the only consumer recorders I have found with component input. I have tested one and it works well. Contrary to what XVXVXVX says, component was originally created to carry 480i NTSC, such as Betacam and other broadcast signals. Progressive, and HD versions of component came along later. Component 480i is considerably cleaner and potentially higher res signal than S-video and definitely worth using. If you are using digital cable with an 8000HD DVR, you can simply change the output to 480i (settings menu) and output component to the DVD recorder for highest quality DVDs (until next year's HD burners come out).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us