New Sony KDF55XS955

Briangd
Unregistered guest
Does anyone have any information on the Sony KDF55xs955? I went to sony.com but it has limited information. PC Richards does'nt have it in there computer system. I would like to compare it to the Mitsu. DLP series. Any help would be appreciated.

seanb724
Unregistered guest
I'd also like to know if anyone thinks the $400 difference between this set and the KDF-55WF655 is really worth it. As far as I can tell, there are some possible enhancments to picture, but I've only found limited info. Tweeter told me they are getting the XS on the 29th of this month and will not carry the 55" WF, just the 50".

Jimbo60
Unregistered guest
I can't believe you posted this - I have the same question. Also would like to use the tv with my laptop computer as a larger screen. Can this be easily done?

Scott Smetana
Unregistered guest
I've heard a rumor the XS will have better blacks. I also know the XS will have 2 HDMI/DVI inputs as opposed the one on the WF. I'm waiting on the XS. I've also heard Best Buy will carry them??

Jimbo60
Unregistered guest
Well I went to a local high end tv/sterio/av store today with very knowledgeable people (at least to me - blew away tweeter and bb and circut city).

Anyway they said the XS will be very close to the XBR. They reduced the price for me on the 55WF655 to $2799 full setup. They said right now no sony hooks up easily to a computer without a svideo monitor output on the computer.

They said if it works as expected the VS should be worth waiting for.

I am still deceiding.

Scott Smetana
Unregistered guest
Saw both the XS and the WF today!!! Best buy had the XS and Ultimate Electronics and Circuit City had the WF. All in all, I was very impressed. I've been in the DLP, rear LCD market for 1 year, checking weekly. The blacks were a little better than the WE series, but acceptable. The anti-glare screens are the same as the WE line, way better than the reflective XBR series. The contrast seemed to be about the same. In High Def, the XS at Best Buy was second only to the Mit525 in contrast. However, I hate the reflective screens of the Mits 525(and 725). Seems like the XS is going to run 300-500 more than we WF - looks like there is little difference except you get an extra HDMI and a few more adjusting menus on the XS. I like the styling of both, actually - as good or better than most DLP's.

After months of agonizing, I'm going to pull the trigger on the 55XS tomorrow. The only TVs that looks to currently match this set (in my opinion) is the Mits 725 DLP (if you don't mind the glare) and the new Toshiba Rear LCD's (Sears and CC only)

Scott Smetana
Unregistered guest
Oops, make the new Hitachi LCDs that look great. However, they are too short for my cabinet. XS here I come!! I think it's important to have 2 digital inputs, most DVD players will have outputs in the near future

Mike Mike
Unregistered guest
What about the JVC HD-ILA?? I've been going between it and the Sony XS as far as how good they look? Is there anything I should know about the JVC??

mikep
Unregistered guest
What is the difference between XS and WF series other then look and extra inputs?

Anonymous

ATI Component Video Adapter. Visit ATI.com Can Get Adapter to Convert DB15 VGA Out to Component Video.

Unregistered guest
mikep,

I have the same question as to the difference between the XS and WF series. I see the WF series being around $750.00 cheaper and wonder why?
I see the WF series accepts a digital cablecard (presumably so does the SX?) which allows one to receive Cable and CableHD w/o the use of a cablebox(or the expense of hiring it).

Anonymous

I got more info from Sony Sales department about XS model:

* 5 speaker system as compared to a 3 speaker system in KDF-55WF655.

* The 55XS955 combines 2 tweeters with 2 midrange speakers and a subwoofer to deliver enhanced sound.

* The 55XS955 has Live Color which provides rich colors for both Standard and High Definition signal without side effects.

Scott Smetana
Unregistered guest
Don't forget - There are TWO HDMI inputs on the XS. High Def signals and a digital ouput DVD both require an input.

There is a STYLING difference too - the WF looks similar to the WE.

I got my 55XS at Best Buy for about $3800 including the 4 year extended warranty (plus will be getting about $250 in giftcards). Supposed to be delivered Nov 8th to my door.

After all my research on TV's these were my favorite four:

4. Samsung 5674 (not released yet)
3. Hitachi V810 series LCD (Sears, CC only)
2. Mitsu 725 series DLP's (for darker rooms)
1. Sony XS and WF series (for lighter rooms)

Anonymous

Hey scott! I checked out the Best Buy website but the 55XS is not listed. Did you buy it online or at the store? How did you get gift cards?

Anonymous

Hey scott! I checked out the Best Buy website but the 55XS is not listed. Did you buy it online or at the store? How did you get gift cards?

Username: Ameshkov

Post Number: 1
I just found 55XS here:

https://www.pcvideoonline.com/productdetail.asp?level=81&catid=224&productid=378 9

Does anybody have (positive) experience of buying TVs from online retailers? Or it is too risky to send 3k to the joint like this?

Tx.

Scott Smetana
Unregistered guest
They had the 60XS on display. I asked them about the 55 inch and they had it in their computer ($3600 retail). I asked for the 5-10% discount that was offered that week on all big screens and they agreed. I got the giftcards by signing up for their Rewards program. I also got $25 for signing up for a BB credit card. I was happy to pay only $250 for a 4 year warranty. Other stores wanted double for that.

Good luck!

mikep
Unregistered guest
I negotiated with the store manager and I got KDF55XS955 from Circuit City for $3809.95...here is the breakdown:

TV: $2999.96
Warranty: $599.99 for 5 years that includes the Bulb.
NC Tax: $210

Total: $3809.95

Scott Smetana
Unregistered guest
Sounds like a good deal Mikep - pretty much the same as mine.

I got my XS this week - I LOVE IT !!!

Notes i've made:

The 'advanced' video tuning options on the XS (not WF) are only for analog feeds. However, the XS uses "live color" - the WF doesn't have this. Not sure how much of a bonus this is. I'm still happy that I have the XS over the WF mainly because of the 2 digital inputs and the TV fills my cabinet better.

X-Box - HALO 2 looks unbelievable.
DVD (thru component) - Fantastic
Digital Cable - Fantastic (better than expected)
Analog Cable - Fair
HD Dish Network - will tell you next week!

By the way - I saw the WF next to a Mitsu 525 and Sammy 63 series today all in HD. The WF kicked butt in contrast and colors. The black levels are ok, especially if you watch in 'standard', not 'vivid'

mikep
Unregistered guest
Hi Scott, What kind of cable did you use for Xbox? Do they make DVI cable for that?

Unregistered guest
Finally pulled the trigger on SONY 60XS955. I have to tell you, this is the right choice, after weeks of research between JVC, Sammy, Hitachi. I got the 60XS955 from DigitalCraze for total of US$3900. (Including NJ Tax, Delivery, and 2 years extended service plan.)
The set is beautiful, everything works right out of the box:
DTV(SD) is fair, very watchable.
DVD (I got the Toshiba 5970 with HDMI interface), works great, went 2 DVDs last night.
Halo2 (Xbox) connected to componet input with XBOX HD pack, my son spent most of his day playing it.

I am waiting for CableVision's HD installation next week.

Overall, very worth the money.

ARY
Unregistered guest
Purchased the 55" WF from Circuit City back in Nov on a one day only Saturday Sale for $2999. Also, if you ordered online that day through a an AOL link to CC online, AOL/CC provided a 15% gift card rebate on top of the deal. Thusfar as my 30 day return window comes to a close, the unit is working superbly and the picture is really stunning - especially cable HD channels. My only complaint as indicated in a previous message is that the V chip really can't do its job if you use the Scientific Atlantic cable card provided by Time Warner. Very few programs are received/recognized by the TV with the network's encoded TV rating for the show. In other words, many programs including ALL premium movie channels come through as unrated and the Vchip can't screen by the desired TV/movie ratings. I don't just want to block all "unrated" as this would also block most sports and news programs. Anyone have a suggestion or similar experience with their Sony vchip with their cable card/cable company? Why aren't the movie ratings of the premium HBO and Showtime channels recognized by the sony V-chip???

Unregistered guest
I'm wanting to purchase the KDF55SX955. Online are definetly better prices. Should I be worried ?

tnbubba
Unregistered guest
if you go with a reputable co like crutchfield or bh etc. then you are probably going to get a good product. i've purchased small things from both. however, with a big multi $1000 purchase i tend to want to stick closer to home. if you don't like it you've got to pay freight to return. you spend countless hours on the phone if something is not to your liking. i just had a better feeling paying a few hundred more and knowing i could "get my hands on the guys", just a figure of speech, if i had to. you get my point. also they will come out,set it up and make sure everthing is working properly. otr truck driver is just going to say sign here. just my 2 cents worth.

asdfas
Unregistered guest
I purchased the KDF-55WF655 two weeks ago after almost six months of looking at all of the various options. The picture is perfect on HD and DVD. I wondered if the XS model would have been better (I liked to look of the WF better) given the enhanced audio and additional HDMI input. But after having it a couple of weeks I'm fine with the difference. I purchased MonsterVideo3 component cables for the DVR (HD cable box) and use the HDMI for the new Sony DVD player with HDMI output (DVP-NS975V). I've done some testing and actually prefer the component picture out of the DVR to the HDMI. I was surprized as I thought HDMI was the best, but the component cables seem to give a more realistic almost three-d quality(on HD), although the difference is almost imperceptible. On the TV sound, I actually prefer the more subdued natural sound of the two channel versus the spacial 'loud' 5.1 sound when listening to TV alone (late at night, etc). I bought a $399 Monster voltage protection / noise suppressor on leap of faith. I was surprised but it made a noticible difference, particularly in the audio clarity. Overall very happy with the set, the picture quality (no pixelization at all on HD), the asthetics, LCD 'proven' technology, and Sony quality versus say the Samsung (which I had been leaning towards until reading all the horror stories on these posts and seeing the inferior quality of the new '74's compared to this latest crop of HD Tvs). The newest Sony's are also the best looking sets, actually looking more like a TV than a box. The Sony KDF-55WF655 cost me $2800 from CC ($2999-$200 mail in rebate).

Unregistered guest
My boss just bought one of these as a conference room display. We want to hook it to a PC (laptop actually) with a DVI output, and got what appear to be the necessary cables. I can get output to it, but it appears to max at 640x480 resolution. Is there a driver somewhere to get it to a higher res? I have been looking, but with little success. Any help appreciated.

Robert Inman
Unregistered guest
Purchased 55xs955 2 weeks ago, as well as had digital cable installed. HD channels are unreal
would recommend this unit in a second. If your into sports, again HD feeds tremendous.

CodeMaster
Unregistered guest
I just Picked up my 60XS955 2 days ago... and i'm just blown away... The picture is amazing!!!
Best buy really pushed their service program... i think i told im no atleast 15 times... the guy just wouldnt drop it... i almost walked out on the deal...
but he finialy relized i wasnt going to buy the plan and moved on to all the other stuff..
They talked me into a monster power conditioner.. dont know if i really need it. but it looks like a good power strip...

Anonymous

Just bought the KDF55WF655...It has a small area on the screen that is clouded..It is also fluid, and can be moved around with your finger..Easily seen when the TV is off...but can be seen in dark scenes when on...Anyone seen or heard of this?

Unregistered guest
Bought KDF60XS955 from Circuit City 12/29/04
Got matching Sony stand SU-GW12
Total incl. tax $4384.14
Refused extended warranty because electronics work or don't right? And with my Amex I double the 90 day warranty...

Set it up and the stand looks great. The picture was nice for about 12 hrs, then the darn display went frtiz-o. LED near power switch is red when off, then goes blinking-grn when pressed on and you hear the fan and see the not-quite-black display. After a few minutes the LED goes solid grn and you see skinny vertical colored bars on the display. This condition is regardless of input and even the menu can't be displayed. The problem is clearly with the inards of the unit, maybe the LCD controllers? I spent 25 min with the pointless Sony troubleshooting phone center and got the guy to agree I needed service. All he did was follow some computer prompts. I really wish they could have good technicians on the other end, but at least this confirmed that the reset procedures wouldn't help and this isn't a common/fixable problem. I called Circuit City and they will swap it out for me. I'm glad I didn't buy online and have this happen.

Has anyone heard of the the vertical color lines as a display failure? Any ideas on why it takes a fee minutes to show up? It's as if the LCD controller tries and evetually fails to start-up, eventually going into a comforting? colored-bar output mode to show that all three LCD colors are working.

Unregistered guest
Just got the kdf55xs955 at CC for 3099 plus PA tax. Absolutely love it so far though i can't wait to have my hd box installed tomorrow. will update more then. also, halo 2 and gta:sa are amazing on it...now debating on a new surround receiver to join it, either denon 3805 or marantz 7500/8500...any thoughts on this

Username: Ptk

Post Number: 7
Guys,

I bought my 60xs955 on 26th dec. and like all of you guys am blown away by it.

I alsom bought LG DVD player with HDMI out (yes HDMI and not DVI), however I am not impressed with the player, puts lots of green out and also froze once.

Overall this is fantastico!! and to think I was about to buy Mit platinum series last year for the same price :-)

Please recommend some external filters for this TV as I have limited viewing distance (max 18 ft, regular 10/15 ft) and it hurts my eyes bad.

Thanks,

Purvesh

Bronze Member
Username: Triedit

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 19
Puvesh,
What are your settings. Back off the picture control(contrast) by at least 25%.

J in Elmo
Unregistered guest
ztohs or jmf...any chance i could get a scan or
e-mail copy of your receipt from CC ?
Ready to buy very soon, was going to buy the
Mits....but have now changed my mind.
Thank you!
Jinelmo

Username: Ptk

Post Number: 9
Hi Al,

Thanks for the info. I have reduced the contrast and still the problem. Will have to get adjusted to it i guess.

The more I watch this TV, more I love it and more I dislike my old Sony CRT and my bedroom RCA TV.

Regards,

Purvesh

Unregistered guest
Hi All,

I saw the KDF60XS955 at Best Buy and the picture was fantantic. The store only had a HD signal to the unit so I wasn't able to see the picture using other sources. Can anyone tell me how good the picture is on an analog or digital cable signals?. My concern is that with a 60 inch screen the picture would be dull, like older projection TV's. Also would viewing the set from 10 ' be too close?

Regards,

Mike Sweeney

Unregistered guest
Mike,

I have KDF60XS955 for about 3 month now. Here is my report:

1. HD is fantastic - you are right.
2. DISH NETWORK digital ordinary channels are pretty good too but only of you use right connection (five line cable, I forget the name of it, at least).
3. DVDs play good too using the same cable.
4. Ordinary red,yellow,white connection sucks. If your DVD/Cable boxes do not have modern connections either replace them or don't buy this TV.
5. I haven't notice any troubles with any DVDs except one foreign VERY old movie I have which was digitized with resolution like 320x200 :-) TV couldn't show it right.
6. I also played Divx - TV showed it with the same quality as normal DVD.
7. 10 feet is enough to see screen OK. I have (9').

Go for it! Unless you have extra 5 grands to buy LCD (which I heard is even better than Plasma).

And lastly I bought my TV at: www.plasmahouse.com for $3204.98 (including delivery, no taxes and no extra warranty).

Andrew

Unregistered guest
Forgot one more thing:

Consider buying SONY stand for this TV - another 800 bucks unless you'll find coupon. I was able to by it in Circuit City.

I believe that stand should be from Sony: it matches and TV has a special "bump" underneath to get to the hole in the stand.

Username: Mike_leigh

Post Number: 9
I finally got a KDF60WF655 (after considering the XS955) on 12/17/04 at Ecost.com for $2899.00 plus $225 OVERNIGHT shipping via FEDEX. Could not believe the cheap overnight delivery cost and would not believe it until a FEDEX guy knocked on my door the next morning. Perfect TV. Ecost.com also had the 60XS955 for only $250.00 more but I didn't have the space for it. One thing I've noticed is that this 60" has smaller screen than my older 52" Mitsubishi when playing standard tv programs. That's to be expected on Widescreen but ...

One question: anyone using a dvd recorder? Please share your experience. I want to record some hdtv programs on dvds. Thanks.

Username: Selltto4vcp

Post Number: 1
I have several questions. First of all, I am looking at either the Sony 55XS955 or the Mitsu 525 series. I live in an apartment and most of the viewing I do will be at a range from 10-13 feet. Does anybody have any recommendations on this TV. Will it be okay at this range? Second, will a small center-channel speaker fit on top of this tv? I mean is there enough of a "shelf" for one to sit? Third, has anybody noticed the "screendoor" effect? I don't see any comments on it, so I am assuming no. Thanks for the suggestions.

Post Number: 2
Does anybody have a suggestion for a stand for the Sony kdf55xs955? Thanks.

Jagster
Unregistered guest
I own the Sony KDF 55XS955 and for the stand I finally decided on a wood stand I found at Cirucit City (CC). It is a Bush VS1358801 and it very nice and fits the TV very well. If you like a metal look there is another Bush stand, VS 74337 (check Best Buy's web site as they have it on sale for around $287) or the Tech Craft equivalent which you can get at CC. In fact CC is running a very good sale on their web site of TV stands, 30% off right now. They have some excellent stands including the Tech Craft PTV582 going for $209 (a $90 savings). Both the Bush and Tech Craft are 58-in in width and come with two glass shelves, so you can stack your equipment. I really like both of them (they are basically identical). Good luck in finding a stand. There are seveal good choices available.

Nj
Unregistered guest
I am also wondering about the range from the TV being acceptable at a short range of about 10'. I bought the KDF-55XS955 today from Abes of Maine (ecost was sold out until end of January) and I am a little worried I should have gotten a smaller TV.

Will it be ok at about 10'?

Nj
Unregistered guest
nvm

I just found this at another site....

Viewing distance....

6.8 ft for 55XS955
7.0 ft for 60XS955

I cant wait for this badboy to come. I have nevr used Abes before, always ecost. I hope that goes well.

Also, this is my first big screen TV. What cables woudl you recommend for hook up. I will have satellite, DVD player, and a TIVO.

Thanks in advance!

Username: Seanmdh

Kansas City, Ks Usa

Post Number: 2
You should sit 12-15' back from screens this big to get the best looking picture, but if you are watching a high def program it will look still look exellent at closer viewing distances.

Anonymous

anyone in this forum got the 55xs955 for 3K, at best buy or CC, can you send me copy of the receipt.

Post Number: 3
Yes, I would also be interested if anyone had a receipt from Best Buy for the 55xs955 for under $3300. I called yesterday, it was $3800. That is crazy. I saw it online about a month ago for $3100. erictuchscher@hotmail.com

Jinelmo
Unregistered guest
If anyone has a great deal from UE or CC or Best
Buy on the 60" Sony LCD 60 XS 955, and would be kind enough to e-mail a copy....it would be appreciated. Can pay via PayPal for your time..
....I can post e-mail. Looking to buy in
the Minneapolis/St.Paul area. Thank you

ALFS
Unregistered guest
Just ordered a KDF-55xs955 from www.tvcity.tv for 2646.96 + 335.15 shipping. Delivery is thur or fri. seemed very nice on the phone ,not at all pushy and didn't try to loaded me up with extras.

CB
Unregistered guest
Thought I'd pass this along...bigondigital.com has the KDF-55XS955 for $2779.95 with free delivery.

Unregistered guest
Eric

I have experience with both sets you mentioned so I thought I would offer up some comments. Before I go on, you asked about stands. I have a Bush Model VS74377-03. It's steel and glass, easy to assemble, and will work well with either set. I purchased in 1993 for $300 from BB but the last time I saw it advertised was for $200 or $250. It will hold a center speaker and quite a few components. Neither TV you mention has room on the top for a center speaker unless you are particularly creative and construct some sort of shelf.

WRT viewing distance, the Mitsubishi is ideal at about 10.' 12-13' should be about perfect for the Sony but you can get away with 10' (My viewing distance is 10.5') if you are not too picky. I'd like to be another foot or so back but I will adapt.

I purchased the Mitsubishi first. I was extremely pleased with the Mitsubishi picture (very good with motion, sharp, reasonably bright picture, good SD for a microdisplay, great blacks, very very good DVD (thru component input--I didn't fair as well with the HDMI), and of course, excellent HD. The so called "silk screen" effect that plagues rear projection sets was not an issue for me. Also great remote, great variety of connections and the set looked great from an aesthetic perspective. But my first set had a noticeable tilt (correctable) and a bright spot at 6 O'clock-not correctable except by replacing the light engine. I liked the set enough to try another. The second pushed green and while I could correct with the perfect color adjustment, the set would revert to the default setting on restart. Mitsubishi sent me a software upgrade but the problem persisted. I elected not to initiate repairs on a new set and decided to go to my next choice, the Sony 55XS955. I've only owned the latter for a few days so I only have my initial impressions. I did kind of hate to part with the Mitsubishi.

Out of the box, I was very disappointed with the Sony but there's a boatload of adjustments and I think I've got the picture close to where I want it. You should have seen the Colts game in HD--very impressive. Very bright, even at power saving setting. Colors are vivid without appearing oversaturated. I've read complaints about bluish whites and red push (can be corrected thru professional calibration) but neither bothers me. SD picture is OK, DVD pretty good. Against a solid (especially white) background at 10-11feet, you will notice some dots or globules (not sure how to describe)--I've heard this described as the silk screen effect. (I noticed this on a former set, a second generation Samsung DLP). And the Sony is not great with motion like the Mitsubishi. The Sony fan is quieter if that sort of thing bothers you and the Sony is energy star compliant. The Mitsubishi is not. The Sony remote is not great but not as bad as some say. The Sony has better speakers but to play thru your stereo, you'll have to turn the internal speakers off. I wish I had the Sony longer--these are very early initial impressions. Keep this in mind!

I can recommend either set but would definitely buy the Mits only from a brick and mortar retailer as there's a fair chance you will have some problem with the set. Everything looks to be working on my Sony. Perhaps the best way to summarize my experience is that I've sacrificed some performance for better quality control and future reliability.

Username: Waders

OKC, OK USA

Post Number: 4
The 60XS955 is all over the internet for under 3300.00

google it boys

Wade
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us