Samsung HL-P4663w vs. HL-P4674w

Username: Jeffloby

Post Number: 1
I got 4663 at CircuitCity for $2,999.99 plus tax. I also received a CC gift card for $310.00. So you could say I got it for $2,689.00 plus tax. I have about 3 weeks left on my 30 day return. Is the HL-P4674 going to be that much better to justify taking the 4663 back and paying another 600.00-900.00 (depending on what they will do with my gift card) to upgrade to the 4674. I have had no problems so far with the 4663. I did not get the extended warranty though.

Username: Mchuckp

Post Number: 5
It's really tough to say if the 74 series will be better. I'd say if you are happy with what you got, don't look back. However, I would definitely get a warranty. I don't own one yet but I've done a ton of reading on these boards and others. There still are some issues with these TV's. It appears that they are really good about fixing them but some of the problems seem to be hit or miss. Maybe you can use the gift card towards a service plan. It would really suck if something went out on the 366th day and you had to pay $1000 to fix it.

Just my two cents.

Anonymous

the HLP4674 has the 4th generation chip same as used in the Mitsubishi DLPs. The picture will be better I believe based on viewing the HLP4666 and the Mits WD52725 side by side.

upgrade to the 4674!! I plan on purchasing one !!

Mike

Bronze Member
Username: Tmskilz

Post Number: 72
Jeff I would recommend upgrading to the 4674. They improved the DMD tech on the 74 series, PQ is said to be closer to the 5085/5685 Capt Kirk series.
But from reading early posts, the 74 series are hard to get a hold of, since demand is outwaying quanity.

N7TB
Unregistered guest
I looked at the Samsung from two years ago, one from a year ago, and the new HLP 5085 side by side. There was very subtle differences with the HLP 5085 being a bit better, but in your living room looking at any one of them, you would probably not notice any difference. Enjoy what you have.

Username: Mizzywoe

Delran, NJ U.S.A.

Post Number: 5
Thanx for the 74 series coming. I just got to brag about this. I just got the HLP5085w (Cap. Kirk) for 3199. Circuit City had a 2 day sale on all digital TV's. The price was 3599 with an instant rebate of 100$. BB had it for 3799 and i told them what CC was up to. BB said they could give me 10% off the difference.(3799-3499 * 10% = 30 bucks off whoo) I told CC that BB was gonna give it cheaper. The rep went and talked to somebody, came back and said he'd sell the TV for 3499 but he gave me a 300$ gift card. Boy was I happy. It took me 3 credit cards and some cash. But I had to take advantage! That's $1000 lower than the original retail ($4199) Thanx 74 series. Should I get the warrany? Samsung told me the bulb was only $300 and I could install it myself. CC want's $599.

Username: Heatcoil1

Fort Pierce, FL USA

Has anyone seen the Samsung 5674w and it's performance. I would like to purchase a new tv before Christmas and my wife dislikes the pedistal on the 5685w. I also notice that the engines differ. How do they compare in picture quality.

Username: Toasted

Folsom, Ca Usa

I am taking delivery of the new Samsung 5674 tomorrow and I should be able to tell you some comparison between the 5685 which up-to-now has been my favorite. If not for that ridiculous pedistal, I would have purchased that model.

CactiJim
Unregistered guest
I, like many, have been waiting for the 5674 forever. Now i just got off the Samsung websitee and see that the 5674 is coming out with a 6 segment color wheel and resolution of 2000:1 instead of the 7 sement wheel and 2500:1 contrast found in the 85 pedestal series. I am not very happy with this news. Can't wait to see them side by side.

Hblaze
Unregistered guest
I went to a local outfit here in Bellevue, Wa -- Magnolia Hifi-- and checked out the new 74 series. It's clearly better than the 63 series in terms of black level and detail. Like you, perhaps, I'm wondering if it's "different enough" to go for it versus the 63 series. When the 63 series hit the market several months ago-- I'm now referring to the 6163w model-- (not sure exactly when.... may be some of you might recall), it was going for around high 3000s among etailers (mid to high 4000s among retailers) but now they are below 3000 among etailers and mid to high 3000s among retailers. I'd imagine if you wait 1/2 year, 56734 will drop by around a grand or so. I'm wondering, for myself, if I'll wait that long to buy the 5674 then or just buy the 6163w now for about the same price. Side by side, they are different in picture quality but when viewed alone I'd imagine the difference will fast fade into long lost memory.

Well, now there's the new 97 models on the horizon with 1080p and 3k:1 contrast ratio. Will there really be anything to watch in that resolution in the near future? TV's got a cue from computer chip makers: continue to pump out "new and faster" chips. Or was it Field of Dreams? (Build it and they will come).

Unregistered guest
Cacti,

>> have been waiting for the 5674 forever. Now i just got off the Samsung websitee and see that the 5674 is coming out with a 6 segment color wheel and resolution of 2000:1 instead of the 7 sement wheel and 2500:1 contrast found in the 85 pedestal series. I am not very happy with this news. Can't wait to see them side by side.

I called Samsung today and here is what I found out.

The tech's have been briefed with a tech note and the published contrast ratio's for the x85 and the x74 are incorrect. The x74's will have a 2500:1. The x85's are actually only delivering 2000:1.

He didn't have any informaiton on the 6 vs 7 color wheel other than the switch was done to improve picture quality and TV performance. We thought (and was suggested by someone else here) that with 6 colors, the video processing looses a level of complexity and thus the processing delays which caused the gaming delays and lip-sync issues may be lessened without hurting PQ.

If anyone else has more to offer, I'd love to hear it.

Ang
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us