How do I undo a progressive scan error?

Username: Bulkley

Post Number: 1
The machine: LG DV7732NSC

We moved our tv and entertainment centre. When we plugged it back in, there was no sound from the LG DVD unit. Yes, I checked and rechecked the connections. Since that didn't work, I tried some of the setup adjustments. Unfortunately, I switched the progressive scan by mistake. This caused a complete blackout from the DVD. The manual says to push STOP twice, holding the STOP button for 5 seconds, to reverse the progressive scan setting. This doesn't work. What do I do now?

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 244
Try running to the TV with an RCA jack from the regular video output, progressive isn't output through the single video out jack. It may or may not work, it worked for me, but there was another person with the same problem here who it didn't work for.

Post Number: 2
Thanks. I tried it without success. I assume by RCA jack you mean what I call a patch cord. The DVD player has a single video out jack, but the TV doesn't have a single video in jack. It has either the S-video cable or the three colour system.

Is there a way to reset averything to factory default? Some silly trick that all the techs know but won't tell you?

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 246
It's different on different players. Try holding the power button for ten seconds, the stop button for the same. It should be a button on the unit, so just push each button for 10 seconds and you should find it hopefully.

Post Number: 3
Thanks, Dave. That worked. I'm not sure which button it was. I pushed the On button for 10 and then did the same with the OFF. One of them reset back to default. Now, I'm back to my original problem: no sound from the DVD player. There only seems to be one connection: the red and white audio cable set. The TV is a recent Panasonic CT series (which one, I'm not sure). Is there anything which would prevent the DVD audio signal from being interpreted?

By-the-way, when we moved all this we found a dummy load plug among our stuff. I don't think it came off any of our TV paraphenalia. If it did, which? Where?

Post Number: 4
Victory! I had the cables from the DVD and VCR mixed at the TV input. I had the DVD video connected to input 1 with the audio connected to input 2. Oops. Amazingly, the VCR worked with this goofy setup. So, with everything in the right place, it all works again.

Thanks again, Dave.

Unregistered guest
i have a similar problem on a curtis DVD5038
the progressive scan is on and i cannot turn it off and an image can only be seen using the 3 color system and suggestions
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us