What do you guys rather have considering price

Onkyo HTS-760 that I could get for 298.00 brand new or
Onkyo HTS-770 FOR 499.00 brand new

I have a 11x11 room so its not that big, with a 53 Panny HDTV

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Bronze Member
Username: Daddyrabbit

Post Number: 36
For the room size the 760 should suit your needs fine IMHO.

The other things to consider are the extra Dolby modes (e.g. PLII on the 760 vs. PLIIx on the 770) other than those, the extra sub and 35w per channel the other consideration is the additional optical input ( I was suprised at how quickly my 770s 3 opticals and 1 coax digital were filled with the PS2, DVD, Moto 6208 HD DVR and, HTPC ).

IMHO I would go with the 760 at that price, unless you need the extras, in an 11x11 room with proper sub and speaker placement power will not be an issue.

Username: Cthulhu

Lewisville Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 7
jose, where are you getting the 760 for $298??

Username: Jymartin27

Post Number: 2
cthulhu brandsmart usa

Username: Jymartin27

Post Number: 3
Gene is there a real difference between the II and IIx remember is a small room, so power won't make that much of a difference I have to check how many inputs the 760 has because there you have a point

i have a Pioneer dvd, Xbox, i need a hd converter box(tv is hd ready)

Thanks for the suggestions

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Not that I can really tell, certainly not 200.00 worth IMHO. There is a site (can't remember the URL) that discusses the different flavors of Dolby Digital, DTS, and Prologic and I believe there's a FAQ on this site.

The 760 has 2 opticals and one coax digital in which you want to use if possible for 5.1/6.1 sources, video should go straight to the inputs on the set unless you ABSOLUTELY NEED video switching from the receiver.

If the XBox has digital coax or optical use that to the amp, optical or coax from the DVD as well.

The STB for HD will be determined by how you get your feed (OTA, Sat, Cable) and the provider (for Sat and Cable). I have Comcast and the box they gave me was a Motorola 6208 HD DVR with fiber out and DVI out (looks GREAT on my Sammy HLN617W). If you are using all digital I think that PLii vs PLiix becomes even less of an issue.

I think you would be happy with the 760 in a room that size unless you must have ear-bleeding volume and bass.

Does the TV support DVI? How are you expecting to get HD? (I'm assuming that since you referred to converter box that it's cable), and if cable which provider?

Username: Stalaly

Post Number: 2
Gene,

I have been following the advice of some very informed people such as yourself and Matthew Therien and am really starting to feel like I am getting bogged down in specs.

I am very interested in the 760 I can get at $350ttl but am starting to think that Maybe I should get the 502 rcvr with some different speakers for a few bucks more. I don't want to have to drop another $400 in a couple of years. What do you knwo about the Klipsh synergy speakers which I can get for $300 + a sub for another ??? Is ther another 5.1 speaker set (I am not hell-bent on 6.1) you might recommend as a match to the 502?

What is your general opinion of little 'satellite' speakers like the 240s or the Klipsh vs 'cabinet' speakers like w/ the 760 or the Athenas? I am speaking in the context of 50/50 movie-music application and as someone who, quite frankly (I'm a pro live-sound guy), knows good sonic quality.

The age old question. . . I guess, when it comes down to it I am not neccessarily looking at a HTIB but the best versitile, sonically accurate system for around/less than $600.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
Steve,

I don't know that, from an audio standpoint, that I would consider myself paticularly "informed". I really don't delve too much into specs I just know what I like in sound...

Where Matthew and I agree 100% (other than that Dire Straits is rocking) is that, if it is possible, take the material that you listen to the most and compare systems/setups as best you can and choose what sound you like best.

IMHO I have yet to regret (or hear anyone regret) purchasing the 760/770 Onkyos and rush to return them. That said MOST people that log in to an "HTIB" forum are looking for an "HTIB" and usually want it to be plug and play, hook it up and go with it (color coded speaker wire (what does guage mean?) is a bonus.). My issue is I would MUCH rather have someone buy an Onkyo over Panasonic, Sony, Durabrand etc that look cool but basically sound like a boom box. These people will be put off by the "don't buy an HTIB from Onkyo or anyone else and go shop specs" reteroric and end up giving up and spending $500 on a system that TRULY is crap because their head hurts from trying to figure it out. IMHO the 770 is the best out of the box HTIB you can buy for even close to the money. The 1000 watt sticker is NOT what attracted me to the Onkyo, what did attract me was discrete output channels on ALL of their amps etc... That said, from this quote
"I guess, when it comes down to it I am not neccessarily looking at a HTIB but the best versitile, sonically accurate system "
I could not comment on accuracy (worked on jet fighters for 14 years and am married so my ears are shot :-) )

I understand getting bogged down in "specs" however and can feel your pain. I don't mind buying better speakers later and am not overwhelmed by the big 1000 watt sticker on the 770. For your needs however
"I am speaking in the context of 50/50 movie-music application and as someone who, quite frankly (I'm a pro live-sound guy), knows good sonic quality."
I couldn't honestly make a recommendation.

Were I to bring my opinion up however (and I actually love my 770 but will buy better speakers later (maybe) ) I did listen to the 240s and I would pass. I like live sound as well and am a big acoustic/unplugged listener and the 240s to my ear just can't reproduce the "resonance" that I like. While the 770 speakers lack some as well they have, to me, a "warmer, richer" sound especially for a approx $150 set of speakers.

As for Klipsch the Quintets look a lot like my Promedia 4.1 satellites and HANDS DOWN I would buy Klipch in a heartbeat with my 520 OR a 502.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us