B&W vs. JM Lab with Marantz

Jeff P
I am looking at speaker combinations and want some advice. I have a Marantz SR8200 and am looking at both B&W703 series and JM Lab 826 Cobalt Series. Which do you think would match better for music and movies?
I also like the B&W 703 series but am also thinking about using the 703 fronts with 601 surrounds/center based on cost. Is that a mistake?

Bob Anderson
Unregistered guest
I have an SR8200 and picked up B&W 703's a month and a half ago. I am extremely happy with the way they sound together, both for music and movies. I have not listened to JM Lab so can't say how they would compare to the B&W. I am using old Boston Accoustic speakers for my sorrounds currently and am trying to figure out what I'm going to upgrade to, more 703's, or 705's. I would definitly listen to the 601 as a center channel with the 703's before you buy to see how they match tonally.

Unregistered guest
You ought to listen to both B&W and JMlab with your chosen Amp and CD Player.
I heard JM Lab Cobalt 826 with Lexicon MC-8 and LX-5 plus Rega Planet CD player. It basically gave me a headache due to treble sting. The Bass is not the best. At low volumes the bass was hardly there. When the speakers were changed to Monitor Audio GR20, it was truly a relief. GR20's has great transparency and imaging.

In addition, I heard a listen to JM Electra 926 with Plinius 9300...again, same story as Cobalt 826.
B&W 703, I havent heard but I quite enjoyed the audition of its predecessor CDM7NT.

Currently, I am also trying to choose a system and I am tossing up between B&W704 vs MA GR20. I will make up my mind once I have heard 704's.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us