DirectTV, 5.1 Surround & Projection HDTV Challenges

Username: Jhblifestyles

Hatfield, Pennsylvania United States

Post Number: 1
I have spent days researching, and am going batty at this point. I cannot get Surround Sound through TV, no matter what I try. Here is what I have and their respective Connections:

Hitachi Projection TV w/HDTV Monitor - 3 Composite Inputs, 2 Component Inputs, 1 Monitor Out, 1 Hi-Fi Out (red & white), S-Video input

Direct Tv: 1 HMDI, Component Out, Digital Optical Out, Coax, S-Video Out

Phillips 5.1 Blue Ray/Dvd Surround Sound w/built in Wi-Fi: 1 HDMI Out (ARC), Coaxial & Digital Optical In, Video Out (yellow) Audio In (red & white)

This is how I currently have it all connected:

1) Component Video & Audio Input 5 from Hitachi TV connected to Component Video & Audio Output on Direct TV
2) HDMI Out (arc) From Phillips SS to HDMI on Direct TV
3) Video Out from Phillips SS to Video Input 1 on Hitachi TV

What I get is: Surround Sound from all 5 speakers on DVDs but on Tv channels & Netflix I get sound ONLY from L/R & Center & Subwoofer speakers on Surround Sound but nothing from Surround (rear)Speakers

What am I missing? I have gone through settings on all items to no avail
Can someone help me before I go completely crazy?

I do have a Digital Optical cable and Coaxial cable and an Composite to digital optical converter if needed.

Silver Member
Username: Ecoustics

San Francisco, CA USA

Post Number: 257
You may have everything hooked up correctly, but knowing the model numbers of all equipment would be helpful.

It seems the DirecTV hookup is the issue. A simple HDMI hookup from DirecTV box to Philips box should suffice. But you could try the digital optical out from DirecTV to Philips for audio, with component video into the HItachi (from DirecTV).

Also, note if the source material (TV or Netflix) is only broadcast in stereo, then you won't get surround sound unless there is a Dolby/DTS setting to process surround effects (Pro-Logic, DTS-Neo, etc).

Post Number: 2
Hi Brian,

Thanks so much for your input.

Model Numbers:

Hitachi: 43FDX10B
Phillips: HTS3541/F7

After I wrote this post, I did find a Dolby Digital setting in the TV settings and I have since gotten some TV shows to play in Surround Sound . So I do believe I have it correctly set up as well.

Although, I cant seem to get Netflix & Vudu movies in surround sound.

Uhm.. I am accessing them through The Phillips SS Menu. Movies such as Black Hawk Down?

What I am wondering If I connect the Hi-Fi out (From TV)to the composite to Digital Optical converter to the Phillips SS Digital Optical IN, if that would make a difference.

I am waiting on the converter to be delivered which is why havent' tested it yet.

Silver Member
Username: Ecoustics

San Francisco, CA USA

Post Number: 258
I don't think you need a converter to do anything.

If surround works sometimes but not others it probably has to do with the broadcast encoding. Netflix streams many of its movies in standard stereo (not Dolby Digital 5.1).

You'll want to select the "Dolby Pro-Logic II" setting on the Philips box to create virtual surround sound from stereo programs. If the show/movie is being delivered in Dolby Digital most systems recognize that and automatically switch to 5.1 surround mode.

Post Number: 3
Thank you Brian, for your help. It is very much appreciated.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us