Bad noise from pan. scht05 digital conn.

Anonymous

Hi All,

I was hoping to find someone who can help me with this problem as I've had no luck finding the problem on the net. I bought a Panasonic SC-HT05 HTiB and hooked it up to my SB Live 5.1 sound card on my computer through a digital coax that I made. I got sound, but just the normal 2 channels.

When listening to the sound through the receiver (AC3, stereo, or DD), every once in a while it will make a weird noise and stop working. The noise can be a click and then the sound dies, a few clicks and then a loud screeching noise starts, sometimes I get a pulsating noise that alternates between the channels. To fix the sound I have to change the input on the received and then change it back again. I get this problem only on the digital connection.

I have since removed the sound card to use my on-board AC'97 sound to send all 6 channels through, which works (display on receiver shows them all now). However, I have the exact same sound problem, so I don't think it's my computer creating this problem. I've replaced the coax cable with another one to see if that fixed it, but no luck.

Can it be my receiver that's bad? I've just had it two days. Everything else on it seems to be working good.

Thanks for your time.

Anonymous

Update,

I also noticed that when I play music through the digital coax connection, I lose the sound for about a second and the two channel display icons disappear. Then the sound resumes again by itself as well as the icons. It seems to do this about every 5 minutes or so. Sometimes more frequent, sometimes a little less.

Anonymous

Update,

I've talked to both Panasonic and Circuit City for assistance. Panasonic didn't have any idea of what would be going on, but suggested to replace the receiver. Circuit City asked if I had a certified digital coax cable i.e. it says digital coax on the package. Since I used regular 75 ohm RG6 cable with two connectors on either end, I said no. The tech person stated that I have to use a certified digital coax cable and that they are different and the one I made will not work. He also said that digital coax should not be used over 8 feet and if I'm going over that amount I have to get a optical cable. He said that's definitely what's causing my problem. My coax cable is about 20 feet.

This sounds a little fishy to my as just about everyone here states that a RG6 cable will work just fine. This is just regular cable TV cable, right? Just want to make sure. I've tested 3 cables using my internet connection and cable tv and they work just fine.

Does this sound kinda weird to anyone else?

Anonymous

Update,

Well, thanks for none of the help posted in this forum... There is great info here, but was surprised that no one asked questions of at least commented on my issue. Anyway, I'll get of my soap box...

I finally narrowed the problem down to the receiver after having to buy a digital coax as recommended by Circuit City. After the receiver was replaced everything is working fine. My home made digital coax cable works great. During this time, I've found out that this is a common problem with this receiver and the only fix is to replace it.

This will conclude my problem and I hope it will help someone else.

Jovsdapogi
Unregistered guest
Hi! Thank you very much for posting this! I have the same problem. I am now going to circuitcity and have my receiver replaced! Did you have to replace the subwoofer too?

Thanks again!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us