How to connect analog speakers to optical output

Username: Ethereal123

Cambridge, United Kingdom

Post Number: 1
hi guys, This is my first post on this forum.
I have creative T6100 5.1 speakers but I cant find a way to connect them to TV/set top box because speaker has no digital in put, only 3 cables it has coming out of it (green, orange and black in colour).

Can anyone help me as to how I hook these speakers up with my set top box?
I also bought one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003GCJ3R0/
but optical input on this sound card does not produce analogue (may be optical output only).

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 643
You need a 5.1 Channel DAC (digital to analog converter). Tell me a little about these speakers. Are they powered (as in have a built in amp)? If so, is there a preamp with them or just power amp inputs on the speaker cabinets? If you can answer these questions, I can help you. If you can post pictures, that will be better.

Post Number: 2
That's very cool. Sorry for late reply but hope you will still help me to find a solution.
Yes these speakers are powered, I mean they come with external power cord that has connection to bass speaker and all other speaker connections originate from bass as well. Other than that, it has fixed input for analogue cables (all three cables glued together). Here are more specs:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-Labs-51MF4085AA002-Inspire-Speakers/dp/tech-data/B000J4FAYS

Here are screen shots of connections as well:

INSPIRE T6100
INSPIRE T6100
INSPIRE T6100

Silver Member

Post Number: 844
Sorry? Don't worry about it.

Well, it's obvious that three plugs are inputs, but I'm not sure how you'd connect it and I don t see how it's a true 5 channel system. Is there a peice missing? My guess is that one plug goes to left and one to right. The third plug might be a power trigger of some sort. Sorry, but I need a little more info. Do you have the owner's manual handy? Meanwhile, I'll see if I can find something out and meet you back here.

Silver Member

Post Number: 845
I looked online and this unit is part of a computer. Therefore, you will need to find a way to run the TV set top box output to you computer. Does the PC have a digital input? Do you have the PC?

Post Number: 3
three plugs are inputs (the ones shown in figure), and all other holes are for speaker outputs (except one which is for power cable). In total I have 6 speakers (2 front, 2 back, 1 centre and 1 subwoffer speakers) so I assume its 5.1 as per the description from creative (but i dont have a manual) and number of speakers. I am not an expert though, i may be wrong.
what do u mean its part of computer? yes i have pc but no digital input. but even if i have digital input into computer how to make analog output (again same problem i have with TV/set top box).
So according to you there is no such device where I can have optical input (running from set top box, because set-top box has no analog outputs) and analog output (connect three color plugs of speakrs input, ones shown in pic so that I make all speakers work). Currently, I use green plug into headphone holes on pc/tv and that produces sound from front 2 and subwoofer only, all others are useless until i find a way to connect all plugs.
Its complicated....omg
edit:but digital input/out put I am refering to TOSLINK audio connection type. Terminology is very confusing for me. just to make everything clear.

Silver Member

Post Number: 856
What I meant by "not true 5.1" is that the bass is in your front left & right channels.

The unit you have is for a computer, not home theater. You computer has a digital to analog converter inside.

Thanks for the pics btw.

In order to do what you want, you will need a 5.1 channel DAC (digital to analog converter) with an optical input. I don't know how much that will cost. You will need to be able to mix the subwoofer signal from the DAC into the front left and right channels. Then you will need to adapt from RCA jacks to 1/8" stereo jacks to fit your plugs making sure you keep the channels straight.

You might just want to get a home theater system made for this purpose instead. Just make sure it has an optical input. This option will be less aggrivating and time consuming and probably cost you less money.

Username: Noobwhisperer

Post Number: 1
Super late (10 years) , but here's a little info about the inputs:
Green - Front speakers (left and right)
Black - Surround Speakers (left and right)
Orange - Subwoofer and Center speaker

These are "standard" color scheme for audio plugs. I have the same T6100 system and about to do the exact same thing you ask here.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us