4&8 ohm speakers.. 4 ohm receiver

Username: Rpmzzz

Post Number: 1
Need some help...
My front left/right speakers are 4 ohms, my center and four surrond speakers are 8 ohms.
I currently have a 8 ohm receiver but was going to purchase a 4 ohm receiver shortly. I know if I keep my current set up I run the risk of overheating my receiver.
If I change my receiver to 4 ohms how will this effect my 8 ohm speakers?
Thanks in advance for your help...

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 15022
Hi Chris Guzman!
Welcome to eCoustics!

List your receiver to help us!
Is there a impedence switch on your receiver?

The use of 4 ohms speaker is not too much important but can ocerheat your amp then the sound level can be higher in front, you can adjust the level in the receiver menu.
If a switch is available put it on 4 ohms, the difference on your 8 ohms speakers will not be significant.

Username: Rpmzzz

Post Number: 2
Thanks! The receiver I am about to purchase is a Onkyo TX-NR808. I know it has the ability to switch between 4,6 and 8 ohms. My current receiver is a 8 ohm.
I wanted to get a 4 ohm receiver because I just purchased 2 new towers from Polk audio and they are 4 ohms and I want to ensure I get the best sound out of them. At the same time I didn't want to damage my other speakers, which are 8 ohms and in time I will update also.
Thanks so much for the info!

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 15028
Chris Guzman

Try those Polk with your actual Onkyo and listen it about 2 months, if you still want a new receiver ask to a reseller for try the new then you will better see the difference between both!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us