Need Advice With In-Ceiling Surround Sound (NOOB)

Username: Cdawg1984

Post Number: 1
I have a large living room (like 600sq ft) with a 18' vaulted ceiling above the T.V sloping down to 12' above the seating area. The left of the room has a 3' high wall and is open to the kitchen, the right side of the room has a full wall with the hallway and front entrance.

I know the size and layout causes some chaos for decent surround sound but my wife just decided to change her mind (yet again) and does not want any speakers showing in our new house. Also she doesn't want them in the wall either.

Can a guy get some decent sound out of in-ceiling speakers with this set-up for around $1500-$2000 or should I try to convince wifey to go for some in-wall speakers. I want to go for 5.1 but have the option to upgrade later on.

Please dumb it down for me....this will be my first experience with hidden speakers.

Thanks all

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 864
Greetings,

I might suggest a surround bar of some sort. Polk makes several and many other manufacturers have jumped on board because they solve so many problems like the one you are dealing with.

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/surroundbar/index.php#overview

Username: Cdawg1984

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the input.

I have been doing some research and from what I can tell a surroundbar relies on a 4 walled room for the sound to bounce off and create a virtual surround sound effect.
If I am way off please let me know otherwise.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 692
A possible solution for you could be a speaker that uses a Pivoting Woofer & Tweeter for in ceiling speakers. The 18 ft part is high up. Niles and Speakercraft are two options I know of.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us