Using vintage speakers in home theater system

Username: Reddingscott

Redding, California USA

Post Number: 1
I am setting up a home theater and want to use my large vintage Sansui(made in 1969) SP-2000 floor speakers as my front speakers. Research has shown me that the center speaker choice is an important one and it should voice match the fronts as best as possible. Is this going to work for me and which speaker should I choose as my center and rear satellites? Or should I just get a whole new speaker setup that is compatible to itself? Many thanks in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 520
The question is, how critical are you going to be? In other words, what is going to make you happy?

If you want to get critical and really want to enjoy the movie sounds available then you could potentially get a new speaker system and use the Sansui's as strictly music speakers on a B channel or with a switch.

If your not so critical (at least for now) then you could go speaker auditioning at various stores to see what sounds good to you and integrate away!

Redding, California USA

Post Number: 2
Jim-Thanks for the response. I should have added that I am NOT a critical audiophile. In fact my hearing (at 62) is not what it used to be. I just did not want to choose something that would be totally incompatible with the Sansuis.Also, the Sansuis have a tone choice swith on the back so i can swith the tonal qualities a bit while matching to a center tonal quality. I got them while in Vietnam and not using them is really not an option for me. I am putting in a Sony TV and am looking at Sony center speakers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 521
Hi Scott,

What receiver are you planning to use?

Redding, California USA

Post Number: 3
Jim-

I will be using a Sony STRDG720 Amp.

Scott

Silver Member

Post Number: 522
Scott,

If you bought the Sony speakers at least electrically you would be all set. That means that all the equipment would be rated at 8 ohms. The receiver would probably have enough of a setting range to compensate for the probable differential in the speakers sensitivity.
Personally I am not a huge fan of Sony speakers but you will likely be happy with something like the SS-CN5000 or better.

Enjoy!

Jim

Redding, California USA

Post Number: 4
Thanks, Jim-appreciate your input. It will help me make a decision!

Scott

Silver Member

Post Number: 523
My pleasure Scott!

If you think about it please let us know how it sounds once everything is in place.

Jim

Redding, California USA

Post Number: 5
Jim,

Once last question if you don't mind.

The Sansui SP-2000's have a pretty good low frequency response (about 25) due to a large woofer. Do you think I will still need to add a subwoofer to the system> I will use it to watch movies and tv programs.

many thanks and I will contact you again once the system is up and running.

Scott

Silver Member

Post Number: 531
For movies you will notice a difference, it is the .1 in a 5.1 system, but the purchase of a sub could also be delayed for some time if the budget doesn't allow.

The great thing about a subwoofer though is that it is dedicated to one job, in fact the one that requires the most amount of work. That lessens the load not only on the speakers but more importantly on the receiver.

It is a lot like comparing I4's and V8's in cars. The I4 can get the job done but...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us