How to connect all-in-one home theater to my existing speakers / subwoofer

Username: Sna77

Post Number: 1
So I have a set of Bose Accoustimass 10 that are hard wired to my home. The previous owner just had them installed about 6 months before he moved. He took his receiver with him however. I would like to get an inexpensive all in one system to connect to the existing speakers etc.

One of the basic systems I was considering is the Sony DAV-HDX275. The speaker connections to the receiver would be straightforward, as I would just need to splice the speaker wire from the Bose subwoofer to the quick connect plugs on the back of the system.

My question is what to do with the subwoofer cable. Out of the Bose sub there is a single RCA connection. How would I connect that to the subwoofer connection on the back of the Sony receiver? Can this Bose cable be cut and spliced into 2 connectors?

There is a good picture of the connectors on the back of the Sony receiver here:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158HDX275/Sony-DAV-HDX275.html?showAll=Y&tp=6419

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 513
If you purchase the Sony system you may find that the included speakers sound better than the existing Bose speakers. I am relatively certain that the Bose "bass module" is passive and will not work with the Sony head unit but swapping it for the Sony sub should solve that problem.

Post Number: 2
trying to upload the image...

Post Number: 3
take 2...Upload

Post Number: 4
Unfortunately I can't replace the Bose subwoofer. It drives all of the Bose satellite speakers, as the speakers connect directly to the sub, not the receiver like standard speaker / subs would.
I have found an all-in-one which I think accomplishes what I need. The Harman Kardon HS 300, appears to solve my problem, however its around $600, and I'm really looking for something that's about half that cost (heck I don't even need speakers).

http://www.harmankardon.com/product_detail.aspx?Region=USA&Country=US&Language=E NG&cat=HTS&prod=HS%20300&sType=C
If you look at the back of the HK receiver / DVD unit, you see the standard subwoofer connector...

Does anyone have any recommendations for another system like the HK or a receiver that is really thin? I have a maximum of 4.5" of clearance.

Thanks!

http://www.harmankardon.com/back.aspx?prod=HS%20300&cat=HTS&sType=C&Region=USA&C ountry=US&Language=ENG&ImgName=HS300B.jpg

Silver Member

Post Number: 515
Sorry, I was incorrect, the Bose bass module for the Acoustimass 10 is powered so the HK would work. When you mentioned that the previous owner took the receiver I was thinking it was also Bose. So is there any way to find out what he was using? Your clearance issue will certainly limit your choices.

Does it need to have an on board DVD player?

Post Number: 5
Oh, the previous owner was using an HK AVR-247. He said any old receiver would power it. I've been using some ancient Kenwood receiver in the meantime, but its about 8" high, and doesn't fit in my cabinet...

The receiver does not have to have a DVD player... It just needs to be really slim... Something in the 3" range would allow me to fit a slmi DVD ontop as well.

Silver Member

Post Number: 516
This JVC is said to be 3.5" tall and within your budget.

http://support.jvc.com/consumer/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027459&pathId=5&page=2&a rchive=true

Post Number: 6
Thanks Jim, that looks like it would work fine. i saw a Yamaha one while Googling earlier, but can't find it now...

Silver Member

Post Number: 517
Just so you know the JVC has some folks worried about it over-heating in too small a cabinet.

As far as the Yamaha, I found this on EBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/YAMAHA-rx-SL100-6.1ch-HOME-THEATER-Receiver-450W-SLIM_W0QQit emZ400013410146QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20081129?IMSfp=TL0811291110004r2137

and this from Overstock (refurbished):

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Yamaha-RX-SL100-Receiver-Refurbished/265736 9/product.html

Post Number: 7
Thanks. I just downloaded the user's guide online. The back panel looks like this:

http://www.bigpatsfans.com/yamaha.jpg

You think this would be a better bet than the JVC? the $$ seems to basically be a wash... Oh there shoudl be decent clearance for either of these to breathe...

Silver Member

Post Number: 518
Good thing you did! It would appear that the Yamaha is for the European market as it has SCART connectors on the back. This could still work for you if you weren't hooking it up to a TV but I think I would stick with the JVC.

Post Number: 8
haha. I actually don't even need a radio... And since my connections will be:

DVD and cable box HDMI to TV, then TV out using digital optical cable to receiver, I dont need HDMI swicthing.

Is ther an amplifier only solution that could do 5.1?

Post Number: 9
Just wanted to say thanks for the help! I stopped by an indy electronics retailer on the way home from work yesterday and they had a JVC RX-D301S in stock. Its last years model and they had 1 left. They sold it to me for $125 marked down from $499. Took it home hooked it up to the Bose speakers and my DVR / DVD player and it works great and it fits! For $125 it was perfect.

Thanks again!

Username: Jas72782

Post Number: 1
I also have built in speakers (5.1) in my newly constructed home. I purchased the Sony STRDG720 and while hooking it up last night I couldn't get any of the rear speakers to work but the front 3 work fine. I checked the external wiring (from the receiver to the wall plate) and everything seems to be working fine from there. My thought is that there's either something wrong with the speaker, the internal wiring, possibly the receiver itself. Any ideas?

Post Number: 10
unplug the rear 2 speakrs from the amp. Take a 9V battery to the 2 speaker leads coming from the back. If you hear feedback through each speaker, you'll know that the speakers - wiring is OK and its most likely a setting on the amp

Silver Member

Post Number: 527
AHHHHHHHH!!! NOT A 9 volt battery!!! Any 1.5 volt will work perfectly well!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 528
The other way to check would be to wire the rears to the front terminals on the receiver.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
too much current on a 9v?

Silver Member

Post Number: 529
More than is necessary for this sort of test anyway with less chance of damaging a voice coil. There is however something over 20V and 3 amp coursing through when 100 watts are applied but why take a chance?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us