Help With Receiver

Username: Bigr0b280

NJ

Post Number: 1
Ok, so i'm fairly new to all of this home theater stuff but I recently started to build up what seems like a promising system. Ive got a 42" LG HDTV, which ill be playing blue rays off of my ps3 on. Then I just got the Klipsch Quintet SL speakers to accompany. I'm planning on buying a sub but I want to get a receiver first just I can get everything hooked up. I cant spend too much so im looking for something under 400 obviously the cheaper the better. I did a little research and narrowed down my selection to the Marantz SR3001 or the Onkyo TX-SR506. Can anyone help me out with which would be the better choice or is there something else cheaper that will work for me that I missed??

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 358
First and foremost, have you listened to either of the receivers that you are considering? Both are fine receivers that have very little negative feedback.

It may well be that you like the sound of both units and if that is the case then I would suggest deciding on the basis of the "look and feel". By that I mean do the controls make sense to you and more importantly can you opererate the remote in the dark???

NJ

Post Number: 2
I have not yet had the chance to listen to either of the receivers because I'm currently on business travel, but I plan on trying to listen to them when I get home. Thanks for the advice, I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing out on anything cheaper and that I would be able to do everything I want to with either of these receivers.

Silver Member
Username: Cclashh

Post Number: 332
Robert, I would suggest considering an Onkyo TX SR606 over the receiver you are looking at. You can get the 606 online in your price range. You would be happier with this unit as it has many capabilities that the 506 does not and for this reason would save you money in the long run by making it unnecesary to upgrade in the near future. The 606 would last much longer in terms of supporting new technologies and is just a better reciever all around.

Receiver:

http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR606&class=Receiver&p=i

Receiver price on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015S8PGW

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2333
­
I will second Jeff's suggestion here. You'd have to go over $1000 MSRP in the Marantz line to get the feature set the Onkyo 606 has. The brand new Yamaha RXV663 is comparable to the Onk 606, but nobody's discounting it below $500 yet. So for $390 +free shipping, the 606 is a very good deal, and it should match up very well with your Klipsch speakers. Inadequate power is not an issue because of the high efficiency of these speakers.
­

NJ

Post Number: 3
Ok so I decided to go with the Onkyo 606! I got it for 378 with free shipping too. Thanks for all of your help everyone I'll let you know how everything sounds once I have everything all hooked up!

NJ

Post Number: 4
Just finished hooking everything up...very time consuming but so worth the final product everything looks/sounds great!! Thanks again for your help.

Silver Member
Username: Cclashh

Post Number: 345
Thank you Robert! Its not often that this can be so rewarding and hearing that you are happy with it makes my day. Most of the time posts get ignored or we never hear from the person again. Thanks for being so apreciative!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us