Trouble:: Center Channel receives power but no signal

Username: Klevevz

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 1
I have an older Pioneer home theater that until recently has work wonderfully... now the center channel gets nothing. It makes a hiss, so I know the channel still has power. I've counter checked the speaker (it still works on other channels). I've checked the wire, the wiring, the leads, and the programming of the receiver. Nothing. Anyone familiar with disemboweling a pioneer receiver? I've got a strong feeling this is a receiver hardware issue.

Any advice, ideas, suggestions, or know-how is appreciated. I cannot find any type of hard-reset button on the set, but if there's a typical location for pioneer units, please let me know.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 343
Greetings,

Can I ask what source are you using and how it is connected to the Pioneer? The only good news on you scenario that I can think of is if you are using 5.1 audio in from a DVD player and the center channel RCA cable is loose. Other than that...

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 2
Thanks for replying. The speakers are all wired with loose end wires, the back of the receiver has clamps that "lock" shut, while the individual speakers the typical spring clamp. I found today that I'm able to get an audio signal through the speaker, but it's less than a whisper-- even when I've got the center channel at +10dB and the rest at -10dB with the volume almost maxed out. I'm thinking loose connection, but I don't know how to resolve this.

Silver Member

Post Number: 345
What audio source are you using to test this?

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 3
random dvds and the receiver's FM band

Silver Member

Post Number: 346
Good, using both sources would determine that the input is ok, assuming you have a sound field active and sound from the rear speakers when in FM mode.

Have you tried to swap, say the left front speaker for the center channel at the back of the receiver?

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 4
yeah-- I'm positive the speaker isn't the problem, and I've also tested the wires. It's something on the receiver end. There is still a signal (just VERY weak), so it leads me to believe that it's all in the connections (the connection is similar to the "other front" connection in the lower-right part of this photo:: http://z.about.com/d/hometheater/1/7/o/M/rxv2700spkrcon700.jpg ).

Silver Member

Post Number: 347
The very weak signal you are hearing is likely to be just "cross-talk" and would basically tell me there is a connection but no amplifier. In other words some internal failure. Not good news at all.

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 5
yeah, connections seem rock solid now that I've played a bit with them... One more question-- is it possible that there is an internal connection that's out, or is likely an amp failure?

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 6
thanks for your help

Silver Member

Post Number: 348
There is always a chance but I suspect an amp failure. Sorry not to have better news!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us