I need help spending $300 on a system!!!

Alex A.
I am trying to decide between all the systems out on the market right now. They all seem to have their pros and cons, and I'm trying to choose what system would be best for me.

Right now it's a toss up between the SAMSUNG HT-DB600 and the PANASONIC SC-HT700. Both systems are powerful enough for my personal use, and they seem to have comparable features.

I am leaning towards the SAMSUNG HT-DB600, but I would like to hear some feedback either supporting or disputing my intuition. Remember, I only have $300 to spend and the 5 disc changer is appealing.

Make me an offer I can't refuse...

-Alex

Bravo 3
Hello!
I seem to be in the exact situation as you are and suprisingly have looked at the same two players. Sadly however I have pretty much ruled out the Samsung based on a few things I just read about it here on these forums:
1. It leaves an extended silence between tracks when playing audio cds. (bad for live/mix cds)
2. It seems to have a design flaw which makes DTS sound and Progressive Scan video incompatible. (Random thumping is heard from the sub)

While the first is fairly minor, the second one really ruined it for me since I plan on using Progressive Scan in the future and I prefer DTS over DD whenever I can get it. Too bad since it was looking really good till that. :(

The Panasonic continues to impress me though I have yet to make a final decision. Need more positive input on the PANASONIC before I make a purchase.

MORE POSTS PLEASE!

Bravo 3
Did some more research on the PANASONIC SC-HT700 and found a few detracters.

-No digital audio in. So you can only get surround sound from the dvd player itself. No external devices (XBOX) :(

-All speakers are actually connected to the sub which then has a special cord that goes to the unit. Not sure if this is really a bad thing but just... Weird.

I really do think digital in is an important feature to have so now I've crossed these two out and am looking at other $300 systems. Are there any truly great ones out there? POST!

Anonymous
Bravo 3,

I have a Samsung HT-DB600 and just wanted to inform you that your first concern about the "extended silence in between tracks" is an unnecessary one. I have played live CD's as well as albums like "Abbey Road" which has continuous tracks (i.e. Golden Slumbers ---> Carry that Weight) and there was no extended silence.

As for the Progressive Scan/DTS problem with the thumping, since I do not have a HDTV, I cannot even utilize the Progressive Scan feature, so it's not really an issue to me. Also, I have found very few benefits by utilizing DTS over DD Prologic II. If you ask me, the Samsung is a superior model vs. the Panasonic, but ultimately it is your call. I recommend purchasing it at a store with good customer support just in case you are dissatisfied with the unit and choose to return it.

My suggestion, don't let this one slip away. Amazon.com has it listed for 249.99 with Super Saver shipping. Carpe Diem, Bravo 3!

- Dan
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us