Inexpensive speakers for new home theater setup

Username: Gt500shlby

Philadelphia, PA United States

Post Number: 1
Hi,
I just went out and bought a Denon AVR-4308CI, Pioneer PDP-6010FD, Sony PS3 (for Blu-Ray) and a Definitive SuperCube III sub.

I replaced an older Sony receiver and I'm still using the Sony speakers. I have these nice KLH cabinets as the front left and right and would like to keep them. But since I already spent around $9,000 I don't want to spend too much and need some decent speakers.

I really don't want to spend more than $50 - $75 a speaker for the surrounds and $100 - $150 for the center.

Post Number: 2
Excuse me, SuperCube II not III.

Bronze Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia Detroit area, Michigan USA

Post Number: 88
Ah Mike, you are breaking my heart!!! Such wonderful power yet you want to scrimp on what I consider the most critical part of the whole deal. The best amplifier in the world cannot sound good through crappy speakers!!!

Post Number: 3
I don't want crappy speakers but I only got a $12,000 bonus this year. I can't be spending $4,000 a speaker here. I do pretty well, but my wife already went nuts that I dropped $9k on a TV and sound system.

There has to be decent speakers for a decent price. Maybe next year or the year after that I'll go for some better speakers. But right now I need something within reason.

Bronze Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia Detroit area, Michigan USA

Post Number: 89
As a temporary measure see if you can match the Sony's on the cheap to handle the 4 surround speakers.

If you are planning to use this system mostly for video then the center channel speaker is critical. I would suggest that you go shopping for your eventual speaker system right now and buy the center channel of the system that you like best. That should reduce the amount of wasted money as you build your system and with that and you sub you should be quite happy while replenishing the coffers.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 728
Take a look at Fluance speakers. I use these on my secondary HT system, and they're probably the best bang for the buck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us