HDMI issue - Onkyo SP605 and Samsung HD Cable box

Username: Brianc72bgt

Post Number: 1
Newbie. Read a related thread that doesn't specifically answer my question. I've got a Sony 46" Bravia XBR connected to an Onkyo home theater with the SR605(B) at the heart of it. The receiver and DVD/CD player are concealed (though well-ventilated) and everything runs via one remote (go HDMI!!) through the TV or through the Receiver depending on which remote you find first. Neat. I live in a home for the technology challenged so it is key that everything be able to run simply off one remote. The problem is the Samsung digital cable box won't cooperate.

Running the cable box via HDMI through the Onkyo receiver didn't work..some king of authentication error. Cable box direct to the TV via HDMI alone works great, but no surround sound...etc. So, How do I run the cable box so that it can be controlled via HDMI? The cable box has no HDMI in so can't run the receiver through the box then on to the TV. Should I run two HDMI lines to the TV - one from receiver and one from cable box - and then do audio from the cable box to the Onkyo head unit? Will everything still talk to one and other that way? Right now I'm doing component feeds - audio and video - from the cable box to the receiver and it works, but you need two or even three remotes...Ridiculous!

Is there a software issue in the receiver or cable box that would solve this?

The promise of HDMI is everything into the head unit and then a single line out to the TV. Will this end run work or is there a cleaner solution?

Thanks,

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia Detroit area, Michigan USA

Post Number: 87
Who is your cable provider?

And careful, saying (only) three remotes is Ridiculous could get you in some trouble around here!

Post Number: 2
Oooops, thanks for the warning.

My provider is Time Warner cable in NYC, Queens county specifically.

Bronze Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia Detroit area, Michigan USA

Post Number: 90
Have you tried using the cable box remote for all of your components? There is information on programming it on your channel 99 that might solve your problem.

If this is not what you want to do then there may be a software issue that they could help you with.

(212) or (718) 358.0900

There is probably better advise out there but I am not that familiar with Samsung cable boxes. As a matter of fact, if you do call TW and they are able to help you please let us know!!!

Silver Member
Username: Cclashh

Post Number: 159
You should be able to switch HDMI thru the Onkyo receiver. Maybe a setup problem on your part? Not clear on why that is not working -it should. I had a problem with my sony working this way using an SR705(B) and it was because the TV required me to use a specific HDMI input because I only had one device connected to the HDMI input. There are 2 hdmi's 7 and 8 and because I was only using one on the TV I had to use HDMI input 7. Anyway, obviuosly there are a lot of reasons that the HDMI switching on the Onkyo receiver is not working -I would not give up on that so easily! You want the HDMI switching on the Onkyo if you ever go blu-ray and want to decode High Def sound the way that is delivered on the discs because the onkyo receives this via HDMI.

To have one remote I just purchased this and it controls everything. 30 bucks!

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the ideas guys. I haven't had the time to devote to debugging the problem. My hands are still healing from the install...plaster and wood lathe...for the ceiling speakers, recessed plywood box above the fireplace so the TV is flush with the wall (with space for ventilation), conduit for the wiring and a separate electrical outlet behind the TV.

When connected to the Onkyo SR605, I get some kind of Authentication error message generated by the cable box to the TV screen (I'll get the exact message and post it). Contacted TWC technical support and she came up with several ways to tell me that they do not support the HDMI function of the Samsung HD Cable box, and that I should use teh component outputs (presently I am). She was very pleasant - useless mind you - but very pleasant. Nor could she provide with a contact number for Samsung support. Samsung does not include its set-top boxes in the sonsumer products line so support is nil.
Well, I'm off to Onkyo customer support...Wish me luck!

Regarding a universal remote to do everything, that is not really my problem. I'm trying to have all the "boxes"...cable, Receiver, CD player, etc. behind the curtain with no line of sight for the remote. The theory is that the TV remote should be able to control everything via HDMI communication back through to the Receiver. Plan B is to run the HDMI video direct from the cable box and pass the audio through the Receiver.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2193
­
"Running the cable box via HDMI through the Onkyo receiver didn't work..some king of authentication error."

Some HDMI equipped cable boxes cannot complete the digital recognition "handshake" when connected to an AVR. This handshake must take place for any digital signal to be passed. This may be over-simplistic, but as I see it as the cable box's HDMI is looking for a TV and when it sees something else, it balks. This is why your box works fine with the HDMI going directly to the TV. This problem could be the box mfr's or the cable operator's fault, I don't know. I do know that over the last couple of years HDMI compatibility problems have been common between cable boxes and receivers. You could call your cable company and complain, but I'll bet you'll end up with zero support from them. They'll tell you to use component. Cable operators have divorced themselves from any responsibility regarding HDMI problems. If it works OK for a customer, good. But if there's a problem, too bad.

"Cable box direct to the TV via HDMI alone works great, but no surround sound...etc."

This part's easy. All you need to do is run ordinary coax or optical connection from the cable box to the receiver. There will be no compromise in audio since the best that's available is Dolby Digital 5.1, and either of these connections will handle that. After that's established, there's no reason to run HDMI through the receiver; you can just run that signal directly to the TV.

"So, How do I run the cable box so that it can be controlled via HDMI?"

Until recently, implementation of HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) has been slow. Manufacturer's are catching up and are even calling the feature by fancy trade names, like BRAVIA Theatre Sync (Sony) and RIHD (Onkyo). I would be very surprised if that Samsung cable box is CEC enabled. It isn't discussed on their website and I'd give odds nobody in your cable company's tech support knows what HDMI CEC is, much less know if their Samsung boxes support it.

Jeff's remote suggestion (or similar product) will save the day with regard to your cable box problem -- and operate the rest of your stuff as well. But this would work only if the cable box isn't concealed like your DVD player and Onkyo receiver.
­

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2194
­
Brian, I was working on my post while you posted, so I hadn't read it.

"Plan B is to run the HDMI video direct from the cable box and pass the audio through the Receiver."

That will work if the TV's HDMI tells the cable box to change channels and do the other functions also. The problem is that as I said I don't believe the Samsung is CEC enabled. It would be easy to test and if it works, great. If it doesn't work, you'd better start thinking about Plan C.
­

Post Number: 4
Just got off a quick call with Onkyo tech support and he confirmed that I've got two options:

1) I could run the HDMI from the cable box to the TV and the audio to the receiver as we all surmised...but likely loose HDMI's one remote does it all functionality or;

2) Get a cable box firmware update to support HDCP or get a different box that does support it, and then HDMI from cable box to Receiver would work.

Next step is to see what other model HDTV boxes are available from the cable company adn research if any are HDMI pass-through-the -receiver compatible. Doubt it though.

Silver Member
Username: Cclashh

Post Number: 161
I hate Samsung products. I guess they have a few good things but I am going to avoid them where ever possible. The Cable company probably has a standard box that everyone gets. I think the fact they will not support their own products regardless of what you want to do with them is bull. Seems like that would be against the law or something since they have given you an expectation and not fullfilled it. Tell the cable company you want a discount on your bill each month to compensate for what is their shortcoming!

Post Number: 5
Follow up. The Samsung HD cable box from TWC in NYC does NOT support the CEC control features. It does provide digital audio and video direct to the TV, but it does not allow the TV ( a Bravia XBR5) to communicate with and control it. The Onkyo SP605(B) will power up and switch off by being told to do so by the TV's HDMI connection, but no joy with the cable box. I'll try the Scientific Atlantic and report back. Thereafter, signal repeater.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2205
I will go out on a limb and predict that you will find no joy with Scientific Atlantic. I have no direct experience with the HDMI equipped SA boxes, but I do have some anecdotal evidence that supports this opinion.

First, although CEC has been specifiied since the introduction of HDMI, its implementation has been optional and has only started to show up on v1.3 equipment. From my quick research, it appears that all SA STB/DVRs are officially HDMI 1.1.

Second, CEC is not mentioned in any of SA's setup manuals.

Third, the HDMI cable that SA sells to customers and/or cable companies specifically states that Pin 13 -- the designated CEC signal line -- is "not used."

http://www.scientificatlanta.com/customers/Source/7003995.pdf

I believe your best option is the relatively new and inexpensive One For All URC 9910 remote system. This remote transmits both infrared and RF. The RF signal is received by a base unit which converts those commands back to infrared.

This remote can be bought for as little as $30.

http://americanesuperstore.stores.yahoo.net/urc-9910.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us