Connecting A/V amp

Username: Simonj1

Post Number: 2
Hi,

I just purchased a Yamaha AV amp as our plasma is just a monitor and has no media box to switch between inputs.

I have two questions that i'm just not sure about.

I have component inputs on the AV amp and on the the plasma. Can i connect my sky plus using scart to component, is this possible and the best way or should i stick to composite?

Also should my dvd player be connected through coaxial or optical audio, and again through scart to component - which is better?

Much appreciated

Simon

Bronze Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia Detroit area, Michigan USA

Post Number: 73
Taking the philosophy that I may not be the only one with a question:

http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/

A SCART connector is a physical and electrical interconnection between two pieces of audio-visual equipment, such as a television set and a video cassette recorder (VCR). Each device has a female 21-pin connector interface. A cable with a male plug at each end is used to connect the devices. (The 21st pin is actually not a pin but a ground shield contact.) Stereo audio, composite video, and control signals are provided in both directions. RGB video signals are input only. The interface is an industry standard originated by the French company, Peritel. Today, most new television sets and VCRs in the European market and other countries that use the PAL video standard come equipped with a SCART connector. SCART stands for Syndicat francais des Constructeurs d'Appareils Radio et Television. The connector is also known as a Euro-connector.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
Now then Simon J for your question. It is likely that the best way to deal with Video signals in your case is by component but if SCART is split to component in your receiver then either way would work.
Regarding the audio well the jury is still out I am afraid but there is more information here:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/accessories/1118.html

Post Number: 3
Thanks Jim, thats great. So does that mean that the scart on the back of my sky will only input rgb and not output?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
I am not sure, it could. It really depends on how the receiver handles the signals. Perhaps your Yamaha owners manual will tell you

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
Sorry, I am on a pretty steep learning curve here. The sky you are referring to must be something like this:

http://sky.com/hd/join-sky-hd.htm

but it only mentions HDMI on this site.

If the "sky" is indeed a satellite receiver then the connectors of any sort should be outputs but I am still a bit unfamiliar with what the device really is.

Post Number: 4
yes sorry, sky is a satellite receiver. There is only scart and composite, does the scart on these sorts of devices not necessarily out put to the correct format to just assume that i can use a scart to component cable, or are these cables usually made to transfer the other way? basically if something has a scart plug on the back can i use a scart to component cable of does it depend on the device.

thanks again you help is much appreciated

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
If you can easily get a cable that adapts SCART to component video then that is what I would do to make sure the Yamaha AVR is switching common signals.
Stay away from composite if you can because that is a significantly worse video transfer method.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2179
­
Simon, your Sky+ box supports RGB on its TV Scart output. (The VCR Scart output supports composite video only.) RGB and "component" video are different types of component video connection systems, and are incompatible with each other without intervening transcoding. This means that a simple Scart®component cable will not work, regardless if it is connected through the AV amp or directly to the TV. The reason these Scart/component cables exist is for use with Scart outputs that support component video. There are some devices that support component video through their Scart outputs, but unfortunately your Sky+ box is not one of them. In order for this to work, you would need a converter like this in between the box and the TV. This also presumes you have your Sky+ box configured to output RGB in the first place.

Failing that, your next best option would be to use S-video. You have said that there's only Scart and composite on the Skybox, but I would be very surprised if both the TV and the satbox did not have S-video ports.

With your present setup, your last option is to stick with composite unless your monitor has a Scart input and if that Scart supports RGB signals. If so, then Sky to TV via Scart to Scart is the way to go.

Your last option would be to upgrade to Sky HD, which would solve your connection problem because the HD box has component outs on it.

Your DVD player's video output should be via component to the TV. You could feed the DVD's component output through the Yamaha if you want, but there's no real good reason to do so. You should use either a coax or optical connection into the amp for audio. And while you're at it, you should connect the Sky+ box's optical audio output into the Yamaha as well.
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us