Need aswers about preout subwoofer on pioneer vsx-515

Username: Sunny_joe

Post Number: 1
I am confused on the word pre out.
I have a Pioneer vsx-515 6.1 that only has 1 digital pre out for a power subwoofer. I just bought a YST-SW216 power Subwoofer. Which has a left and right input a/v or rca connectors and L/R speaker wire connectors. The manual says if there is only on pre out not to connect the subwoofer to the pre out . Insted connect the sub to the speaker out on the amp. I have a passive sub that uses the speaker wires now and the reciver over amp it. To me it sound like the new subwoofer is analog and I need to get a better sub with digital. Or is it that I need to get a reciever with Left and Right out? I only paid $100 for the sub. Saw some other subs for $400 with 1 digital input. Very confusing. Any help would be appreciated.

Bronze Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia Detroit area, Michigan USA

Post Number: 63
Pre-Out on your AVR is what is called a line level output. In other words a low level interconnect passing signals between components prior to amplification to "speaker level" outputs.

Phew, did you get all that?? It really doesn't mean all that much in your case.

What I would suggest, because it is already hooked up this way, is to simply swap your new powered sub for your passive sub with the speaker wires into the speaker connectors of the new sub. Even a $100.00 powered sub should make enough difference to keep you happy for a while!

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 477
This receiver has an RCA (not digital) subwoofer out put connection. You do not need stero (L&R) connection for a subwoofer. Use the left side in on the sub for the correct connection. In the receiver set all your speakers for small and the sub yes.

Post Number: 2
Thanks fo the information. I did not know that the digital input form my dvd player comes out of the reciever rca analog. I thought I would need an sub like the SVS PB10-ISD digital subwoofer for my reciever. This reciever is over 3 years old. I am planing on getting a better 6.1 or 7.1 later this year. Should I get a better subwoofer now or just keep the one I just bought for a $100? And get a better speaker setup with the new reciever. If I keep the yamaha sub do I set the high cut to low or high? Thanks again for the help

Bronze Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia Detroit area, Michigan USA

Post Number: 67
If you are like most of us, you will be building your system a piece at a time as funds become available. Adding your new sub is going to make a big improvement to your existing system that you will probably enjoy for quite a while!

Regarding the sub setting I would simply say, YES! By that I mean try all settings to see what you think sounds the best. Technically it should be set to high for small speakers and low for larger speakers. For more information on this go to:

http://customconnectionsonline.com/faq.html

FAQ #5 and #6

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the info
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us