Cheap Surround Sound

Username: Shortymet55

Post Number: 1
I have $135 in gift cards to Walmart, and I was thinking of getting a cheap surround sound system for my room to go along with my new HDTV. I dont want to spend to much over that, so not including shipping (hopefully it will be at the super walmart) I want a system between $100-$150. Maybe abit more If they go on sale. I dont need a DVD player. I use my computer as a DVD player, so a DVD would probably have a bit better quality, but I would rather spend the same and get better sound without the planer.I know i can get much with that, but its only for my room. At Walmart.com I have found 3.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5280864
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5693293
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=7755683

The Pioneer is 600W and others are 1000W. The RCA I would need to buy a optical cord separate where the Pioneer comes with one. The huge issue with the Philips is there is no optical input. That is what is on my TV, so I would need a converter and both cords, which adds more to the cost.

I plan on using this with my Vizio TV and computer. I dont use a cable box, but if I plug the cable line straight into the TV, i get a few HD channels like Discovery, which uses 5.1CH sound alot. For my computer, i will probably just use a mini-jack to red and white RCA cables. I use the computer as a DVD player, so I wish I could get 5.1CH sound, but i wouldn't know how. My sound card has Green, Yellow, and Black outputs, and my manual says black is surround sound, but i wouldn't know how it could output 5.1 on one mini-jack, which only have 2 channels. If anyone knows, please tell me. Maybe I could get one of those mini-jack to optical cables and get 5.1, because i know the Pioneer has 2 optical inputs.

Ok, I was reading about this, and I found there can be digital 5.1 over a mini-jack. Please inform me how if you know. I also read that I can use a standard RCA cable for an optical cable, which the pioneer can also use. I have an old portable DVD player, which has outputs of a standard mini-jack to RCA, so i can use the cable that came with that.

Bronze Member
Username: Mr_audio

St. Louis, MO USA

Post Number: 17
First of all, wattage for Home Theater in a Box systems, especially really cheap ones are massively inflated and misleading. You're not talking about a lot of money here anyway, so you can't realistically expect these systems to deliver 600 to 1000 watts. RCA is lying hardcore about their wattage output. My system costs many more times than the RCA, and I only have 100 watts per channel. Anyway at this point, you should just concentrate on your other needs such as connectivity.

The Pioneer has plenty of inputs for what you want to do. It's simple and slightly cosmetically appealing. You're still not getting 600 watts, but it will suit your needs for sure. The only problem lies with you using your computer as your DVD player. They only way you can get 5.1 out of your computer's DVD player is to buy a sound card with an optical output. It might be cheaper to buy a cheap DVD player that has the proper connections than to buy a new sound card. That's up to you. The mini jacks you see on the back of your sound card won't even come close to working if you don't have a receiver equipped with a 5.1 discrete input which the Pioneer does not have and most likely the RCA doesn't have either. The best way is to probably buy a new sound card for your PC that has an optical out and be done with it. I hope this helps.

Username: Helpless_in_phoenix

Post Number: 1
I recently purchased a Coby surround sound in a box with a dvd player. I have an older tv with only two jacks in the front for audio and video. I get good sound and picture from the dvd but I cannot get surround sound from the tv. What am I doing wrong or what do I need to do?}

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2150
­
Where is that TV signal coming from....basic cable or cablebox, satellite, antenna, or what?

Is there an input on the Coby for audio?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us