Denon 3808ci and Paradigm Studio 20 v4?

Username: Srode

Iowa City, IA

Post Number: 1
Hello all - Local dealer has a good sale so I am ready to pull the trigger and upgrade a 22 year old Sony reciever and want some front bookshelf speakers to go with it. Was waiting for M&K to go back in production with S150s for front but I have permission now so am not waiting.

Looking for thoughts on pairing Peradigm Studio 20 V4 speakers with a Denon 3808ci reciever for home theater.

This won't be an ideal system because I have 2 boys under age 3 and have to keep things out of their reach. The room is 33x23 with 8 foot ceiling with theater on one of the short walls centered. Speakers will go in Sleigh entertainment center at ear level with 6 foot separation - listening area 9 feet from the speakers. Already have Atlantic Research 352pbm sub and Niles CM8HD speakers in ceiling for surrounds. The studio speakers would be placed so they are almost touching the cloth speaker screen in the ent center doors - would be convenient to place on side vs standing, but not required - so here's my questions

1. will laying the studio 20s on their sides effect the sound dispersion / imaging on studio 20s?

2. will the paradigm studio 20s v4 be a good match with the Denon 3808ci AVR? If not other suggestions from the brands below I should consider?

The dealer carries Anthem, B&K, Marantz, Denon, Creek, Audio control, Escient, Cambridge, and Music Hall for electronics. Speaker brands are Paradigm, Monitor Audio, and System Audio so those are my choices if I get a system through them now. I liked the features on the Denon 3808ci but haven't listened to the paradigms playing through a Denon - their Demo speakers were running through a Nakamichi Tuner and Amp and sounded very nice to me for the few minutes I listened to it.

Thanks, Steve

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 441
I like your choices, but some may like the other brands for sound (B&K). As you mentioned the Denon has a lot of features.
Putting any speaker in a closed cabinet is a disaster; it will change its sound for the worse. If you must do it you will need to fill the void in the cabinet around the speaker with some kind of insulation or foam. Laying them on their side will effect the sound.

Username: Srode

Iowa City, IA

Post Number: 2
Thanks Casey for the response. I went ahead and picked up the receiver tonight and ordered the speakers (they didn't have them in stock, so I have to wait a couple weeks). Any suggestions on material to fill the cabinet void with? Just the front around the face of the speaker or all the way back? (I have to leave some room open at the back cavity for the receiver to vent up through the back of the cabinet).

The bad news is I have to wait for the speakers before I can try the receiver out really - don't have fronts to go with the system yet, but 20% off was a good enough reason to go for it.

Steve
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us