Question about surround sound, optical audio cables and component cables

Username: Evan04

Post Number: 1
My TV has an optical audio output.
So if I have my DVD player hooked up to the TV via HDMI cable, then run the optical audio out from my TV to the surround sound receiver, will I be receiving true dolby surround sound?

Next question, my cable box does not have an HDMI output so I have that hooked up to the TV via HD Component cables. That can't carry Dolby Digital correct? So I need to run another optical audio cable from the cable box to the Surround Sound Receiver to achieve true surround sound, right?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1868
­
"My TV has an optical audio output.
So if I have my DVD player hooked up to the TV via HDMI cable, then run the optical audio out from my TV to the surround sound receiver, will I be receiving true dolby surround sound?"

That optical output on your TV operates only when your display receives a digital over-the-air broadcast signal via a normal antenna. The TV will not send out any audio signal sent in on its HDMI input. You'll have to send the digital audio from your DVD player directly into your receiver.

"Next question, my cable box does not have an HDMI output so I have that hooked up to the TV via HD Component cables. That can't carry Dolby Digital correct? So I need to run another optical audio cable from the cable box to the Surround Sound Receiver to achieve true surround sound, right?"

Component carries video only, so yes you'll have to run a separate digital audio connection from cable box to receiver.
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us