How To Convert Digital Coax To RCA?

Username: Rmantler

Post Number: 1
I think I'm trying to accomplish something that may be impossible.

I have somehow managed to acquire a DVD player with a 5.1 digital coaxial audio output and a receiver with nothing but 6 plain-Jane RCA audio inputs.

Is there a converter box that will take a digital coaxial signal and convert it into six discrete RCA outs?

I'd be grateful for any guidance or suggestions- maybe even well-deserved mockery. This is some pretty lame gear I've gotten into.

Username: Gbbailey

Post Number: 2
Not uncommon. You need a decoder/processor, which will take a digital output (either optical or 75 Ohm coaxial)and covert it into the six channel 5.1 Dolby Digital/DTS(Main R & L, Center, Surround R & L, Subwoofer or LFE). Try the Technics SH-AC500D or Yamaha DDP-2, you can find them reasonably priced on EBay.

Username: Rmantler

Post Number: 2
Thanks, George- much appreciated. I was starting to think I wasn't going to be able to find a decoder for less than $5000 (seriously).

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3579
Get a new receiver. You can get a receiver with DD and DTS decorders for $100-200 new if you look around, probably cheaper on Ebay. From my experience, the 6 analog inputs aren't as good as using coax or optical, even if the signal is straight from the DVD player.

Username: Ramsmoker

Enumclaw, Wa. USA

Post Number: 1
I just bought a Philips PH61155. I was excited when I got home, I want to listen to Sirius without the TV on. I'm going to again today, I have hooked it up by the instructions and split the coax and ran deadhead into the unit. I think one of us is on drugs and it ain't me. No lights are even coming on. I will post when I beat this.

Bronze Member
Username: Nency

Post Number: 80
A coaxial cable used to be the standard way of connecting VCRs and cable hook-ups to your television set. It is a single cable with a metal pin in the middle of it. However, there are now more options of cables, such as RCA cables. If you have an older television that only has a coaxial cable output and a DVD player that only has RCA outputs, you need a way to convert the coaxial cable to RCA.

Silver Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 801
You need a 5.1 channel DAC (digital to analog converter). Run the digital output from the dvd player to the DAC and the 5.1 channel output to the receiver.

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Jump to: Home Audio Forum | Home Video Forum | Home Theater Forum | Car Audio Forum