Hi! New to the scene; trying to match speakers with the right amp

Username: Zortnac

Post Number: 1
Hi,

This is my first venture in to a home theater investment and while I've been doing my best to do the research myself, I've hit a few snags that I can't seem to find explanations for.

I've pretty much got my heart set on Aperion speakers. From what I've read so far I've learned that it's important that an amp/receiver not under-power a speaker just as it shouldn't over-power it. The speakers I'm looking at on Aperion are the following for a 5.1 setup:

Front Speakers: Intimus 532-LR: 50 - 150 Watts recommended power
Center Speaker: Intimus 533-VAC: 50 - 150 Watts recommended power
Rear Speakers: Intimus 422-LR: : 25 - 150 Watts recommended power

So my concern here is to find an amp that can drive a minimum of 50 Watts at 8 Ohms per channel. This is why I was ecstatic when I found out about the Outlaw 1070 receiver which not only has great reviews (that I've read), but apparently is one of the few brands that advertises their amp's power driven across all channels, which in the 1070's case was 65 Watts per channel at 8 ohms.

Problem is, they're sold out! According to Outlaw's forums, they don't plan on manufacturing this model anymore to make way for next year's successor model. :-(

The other receiver I've been looking at is that Onkyo TX-SR674. It's also been getting good reviews (that I've read), but I'm weary of it because I've been reading a lot posts on these forums the past couple of days and it seems like a lot of people here aren't very fond of Onkyo.

I'm not sure of all the reasons why, but one of the reasons I have seen y'all explain is that Onkyo is, I guess, one of these companies that advertises their available power as what can be driven across only 2 channels. Now, here is my actual question and where I can't go any further myself through lack of experience and knowledge in the matter:

Can the TX-SR674 safely power this setup without damaging the speakers?

The TX-SR674 advertises "Power Rating (watts per channel):95, into 8 ohms." Also from the forum I learned that Sound & Vision does really cool testing in their reviews where they breakdown the power limits when driven over all channels, but sadly they didn't review this model. I simply lack the knowhow to do the math myself :-(

I'm tempted to look at it like a problem where the smallest speakers in my chosen setup (which have a minimum recommended power of 25 instead of 50 Watts) draw less power leaving more power for the rest of the speakers, but does it even work that way?

I'll be grateful for any advice; Thanks for your time!

- zortnac

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 117
Look at NAD and Rotel as well. Onkyo is sub par at best with false ratings. The Outlaw Audio stuff is good, but not the only company that has true minimum power ratings with all Channels driven. NAD and Rotel both do that as well. That Outlaw isn't powerfull enough for those speakers. Get something at a decent rating if you want to listen at a solid level of volume without your receiver becoming strained. I would recommend 90-110 watts per channel accross the board.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us