Which absorbs the most sound?

Bronze Member
Username: Thephatp

Post Number: 42
Hi Everyone, I'm getting a new rug in my living room that is all tile and very open (open to breakfast nook/kitchen in back and half wall on left).

I want to buy a rug pad that will absorb the most sound, and here are my options:

1. http://www.rugpads.com/rubber.htm#RUBBER%20ANCHOR%20II%AE

2. http://www.rugpads.com/Opti-Mat/ulti-mat.htm#ULTI-MATTM

Option 1 is made for tile and hardwood floor, and option 2 is made for carpet. However, they (the reps at the rug store) said option 2 would work for tile as well.

Option one is more spongey and rubber-like, and option two is more dense and fiber/carpet like (but much tough and denser than carpet).

My first thought is that option 2 would be better because of the feel of the material, but when you read on the websites above, only the details for option 1 mention anything about absorbing sound.

I really am clueless when it comes to rug pads, so any advice is greatly appreciated. The rug is 100% wool and is pretty dense, so the pad may not make much of a difference.

Any input?

Thanks, again!

Chad

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 360
The thicker the better. Rug pads and sound absorbtion sound a little like Voodoo to me. From your descibtion of the room layout with the tile floor everywhere and the opening to other rooms you have bigger problems.

Silver Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 184
chad,

It's not going to make any difference which rug pad you choose. Dont buy any pad if the only reason you're looking at them is for acoustical benefits.

If you're concerned about making any real acoustic improvements to your listening room, you should place bass traps in the corners and hang broadband absorption panels at the first reflection points on the walls. Now that, will make a huge and very real difference.

Putting a thin pad under your throw rug isn't going to make a darn bit of difference.

Silver Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 269
Rush is right. The pad would barely make a difference and only in a very narrow frequency range.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
Thanks for the info. That's kinda what I was thinking, but wasn't sure!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
I guess I should also mention that I'm more concerned with dampening sound because of a hearing problem that I have. I've lost a little bit of hearing, and since that time, my ears have been much more sensitive to sound in that they start ringing, and it drives me crazy (and sometimes hurts). I don't listen too loud, and I've verified this with my wife. However, I'm so paranoid about this because of a past experience:

Currently, we have a rug that only covers part of the tile in our living room (probably an 8x10), but it is a really thick and fine wool rug. I don't really have a problem with my ears ringing with this rug. However, about a year ago we started looking for a new rug, and we tried out a rug my wife really liked--but it was thin and synthetic. When we brought it in, my ears almost [I]immediately[/I] started ringing. We returned it the next day and put our old rug back, but my ears constantly rang for about 2 tweeks. :-(

So, all of this effort is to try to make the best decision that will help my ears (for now) without any other acoustical treatment. Maybe I can convince my wife, but in case I can't, I want to make the best decision for this case right now. (FYI, there's nothing an ENT can do to help--I've seen a number of them, and they've all said this is how it will be. Bummer.)

With all of that in mind, does anyone's opinions change? I have to make a decision tonight because the rug (and pad) will be delivered tomorrow.

Thank you all for your opinions and advice. I greatly appreciate it. And any other thoughts are greatly appreciated!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us