Stupid Surround Sound Question

Username: Mfronczak

Post Number: 3
I apologize as this seems like something I should know, but I want to make sure before I rush out and buy something.

I'm planning on getting a relatively low-end surround-sound system (probably between $300 - $400) and hooking it up to my HD cable box and TV. I read a post or an article on another website that made it seem like getting surround sound on television programs or sporting events wasn't a given, that a lot of systems only provide surround through the DVD player.

Is this true? How do I make sure that the system I buy is capable of producing surround sound when I'm just watching TV? Is this something I need to contact my cable provider about, or is it a function of the system I buy?

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12676
The system that you buy, if it is a surround system, can provide you with surround sound. However, it is a matrixed surround, or a "rigged" surround, so to speak. True surround is source dependent. So check with your cable provider if the cable box they provide have outputs for digital audio and if they broadcast digital sound.

Post Number: 4
I checked the providers website, it says that the box does have an output for digital audio that hooks directly to the receiver.

Assuming that it does indeed have the capability, do I need to look for anything special in terms of the unit, special connections or anything like that? Or will all units be about the same?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12680
Check the type of digital audio output on your cable box. Usually have different kinds: digital coaxial, digital optical, HDMI, multi-channel analog 5.1, etc.

Check the cable box for specifics. You should have matching inputs for your receiver to be able to use the cable box' outputs.

Post Number: 5
I attached the diagram of the back of my cable box, you can see where it says "Digital Audio Out". What type of connection is this?

Upload

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12681
You have analog left and right audio output as indicated by the red and white jacks. This is not digital.

You also have an optical audio output. You will need a toslink cable also known as optical audio cable to connect to your receiver (if so equipped)

You also have a digital coaxial output, indicated by the gray colored jack. Your receiver, if equipped with this input is usually color coded orange.

You can basically buy an HTIB that accept all these digital inputs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us