Help- Control with HDMI/ HDAVI Control

Username: Mcd278

Post Number: 1
Good afternoon, all. I have a 50" Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma HDTV and a Panasonic SC-HT740 HTiB (1000W 5.1-Ch. Home Theater in Box). HDMI cables connect the digital cable box to the TV and the TV to the 5-disc home theater receiver. Per the operating manual, which I could very well be misinterpreting, stereo audio cable also connect the TV to the receiver. My problem is that I can't get sound from the TV to play through the home theater speakers.

I get sound through the home theater speakers when I play DVDs and CDs, so it seems the speakers are hooked up correctly. I've also turned the TV speakers both off and to their minimum level to see if which way sound was controlled but got nothing. I've been perusing the operating manuals for the TV and HTiB and it appears my issue could be that my TV does not recognize that the HTiB is connected. On page 23 of the operating manual it states that "'Home theater' with speaker icon appears" on the TV menu screen "when a Panasonic 'Control with HDMI' home theater system is connected via the HDMI input". As stated above, the system is connected via the HDMI input, and 'Control with HDMI" is set to 'On' in the TV menu. However, I do not get a 'Home theater' with speaker icon on the TV menu screen. Instead, I get the standard Picture/Audio/Timer/Lock, etc. menu. So I am at a loss. I should note that the home theater receiver- perhaps obviously- also does not recognize that the TV is connected. I do not get a 'TV' when option when pressing the 'AUX' button.

I would greatly appreciate any guidance. Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

Regards,

Jake

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 621
Well, first of all I'm not a huge fan of HDMI, and second, did you look in the TV's menu and set the audio output to fixed? That's all I ever had to do before I got satellite and hooked everything up digitally.

Silver Member

Post Number: 622
Since I don't know enough HDMI, in your situation, I'd hook the stereo audio cables to the stereo output of the cable box. Does the cable box have digital audio out? (coaxial, toslink, fiber optic)

Silver Member

Post Number: 623
Ah, I see your receiver doesn't have digital audio inputs.

All video connections should run straight to your TV and audio connections straight to the receiver in your situation.

Post Number: 2
You mean audio straight from TV to receiver (which I've done)?

Silver Member

Post Number: 624
Well, I'm saying straight from cable box to receiver.

If you're tuning channels with your tv, why did you get such a limited HTIB?

Post Number: 3
Because I'm a genius. Get a life dickhead. (Some HDMI knowledge would probably help, too).

Silver Member

Post Number: 625
Whoa whoa whoa I'm not trying to argue. I'm just asking if you're tuning channels with your tv.

If so, then I don't know why you aren't getting sound. I recommend you hook straight to your cablebox otherwise.

Good luck

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1272
­
"HDMI cables connect the digital cable box to the TV and the TV to the 5-disc home theater receiver.

I get the feeling that you expect this connection to provide TV audio to the receiver. This will not happen as the HDMI port on the receiver is an output only.

The solution to your problem is instead of feeding the analog stereo signal from the TV to the Panasonic receiver, try using the R/L analog output from the cable box to the receiver's input.
­

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1273
­
In other words do what Andre suggests.
:-)
­

Silver Member

Post Number: 630
Lol

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12299
J McD,
Welcome to the forum. You came in well enough to the forum and I could understand your frustration when things are not working out with your new toys. Our young member is only trying to help and overly enthusiastic. There is no reason for your hostility and we could do without the name calling. I'm sure Andre did not mean to insult your choices.

Andre,
A lot of people come in here for specific help and if you have no idea what is going on with their specific inquiries stick to what you know best and subjects you have enough experience on. If I didn't know any better you are flaming his choice of gear.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us