Onkyo HT-S894 HDMI problem

Username: Mpetey3

Post Number: 1
I have the DVD player and PS3 connected to the receiver via HDMI. The HDMI output from the receiver runs into my KDS-60A2000. The problem is that I am getting audio thought the HTS for both devices but I am not getting any picture. This should be so simple with only a few cables. What am I doing wrong?

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 609
I don't know. HDMI is probably a cable I'll never use until they get it right.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1270
peter, you may not have a problem if you run the HDMI cables directly to the TV, bypassing the receiver. This FAQ is from HDMI's site regarding cable box problems, but I think it applies here too:

Q. Some cable TV set-top boxes with HDMI outputs don't deliver a picture to displays with HDMI inputs. What is the problem, and is there a solution?

In some cases, the set top box software does not activate or support the HDMI port. In other cases, cable TV set-top boxes don't work correctly when used in conjunction with an A/V receiver (but will typically function correctly when connected directly to a TV or monitor). Investigation of some of these devices reveals that this is caused by an error in the way these set top box devices implement HDCP. Specifically, some of those boxes do not support "HDCP repeaters" (devices that pass along the signal to another device) such as an A/V Receiver or switch. We believe that this may be a problem in the initial versions of these products, and in some cases there is new firmware available that fixes this issue in HDMI (newer versions may already have this fix). We have been actively working with manufacturers to resolve these problems. We suggest that users contact their cable operator and request the new software to address these issues.

http://www.hdmi.org/about/faq.asp
­

Post Number: 2
Thats for the information, but which device is not implementing HDCP correctly? The cable box or the A/V receiver. If it is the cable box I can understand that as the box I have is relatively old. But I don't know why the PS3 would have the same issue since it is using HDMI 1.3.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1271
­
Thats for the information, but which device is not implementing HDCP correctly?

I don't pretend to know the answer to your question. But as I suggested above you could bypass the receiver and if you get video, then we can blame the receiver don't you think?

(BTW, you are selecting the appropriate HDMI input on the TV?)

Post Number: 3
I currently have HDMI running from the cable box and PS3 directly to the TV and a separate TOSLINK cable to the receiver (I don't get any sound if a run an optical cable from the TV to the receiver.) This seems to work fine, and the only thing I am loosing is the upcoversion from the DVD player (since I am using component cables.) It just seems crazy to me to sell something with HDMI switching when it doen't output and video.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1274
­
It just seems crazy to me to sell something with HDMI switching when it doen't output and video.

I totally agree. But apparently there are issues with implementing HDMI properly. There's a good article in The Perfect Vision (Jan. '07) on HDMI. In it, an anonymous source at the HDMI organization states that manufacturers are having difficulty maintaining the required HDMI specifications on their mass produced products.

Maybe Onkyo has a fix. I would try contacting them.
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us