Echo problem, please help

Username: Mxmike

Post Number: 1
I've got a strange echo. If I listen to just the TV audio (no echo). Just the 5.1 channel audio (no echo). Turn on both and echo!

Let me describe the setup.
I have cable through brighthouse. my cable box is a scientific atlantic explorer 8300HD. It is a HD-DVR.

My TV is a Philips 32PF7421D/37

And my 5.1 Channel Audio system is a samsung ht-dm150.

I know I am probably giving too much detail, but I don't want to miss anything.

Okay, my TV is connected to my DVR via a HDMI-HDMI cable. Obviously this provides both audio and video. This works perfectly.

My 5.1 audio system is connected to my DVR via an optical cable. And is not connected to the TV in anyway.

If turn up the audio on the TV and 5.1 Audio system at the same time I get the strange echo, even though they are connected to the same source. If I turn anyone of them down the echo goes away.

What am I doing wrong!

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 485
Your problem is that the tv and processor are processing the signals at different times. You must not run both at the same time. The absolute only way to fix this is to Time delay whatever source is "early." Otherwise, you just have to learn to leave the TV Speakers off.

Username: Mxmike

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the explanation. I suppose this is just behavior of a poorly designed DVR.

As for your suggestion, thats pretty much what I have been doing for the time being.

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 488
No I'm pretty sure it's not the DVR. I'm pretty sure it's the actual processor and TV processing the audio signals at different times.

Username: Hodedofome

TX USA

Post Number: 2
The point of a 5.1 system is to replace the crappy tv speakers. Anyone that has a 5.1 system for audio should unhook or mute the tv speakers and never use them again. A half-way decent center speaker will have better and clearer dialogue than most any speaker that comes with a tv. Turn off the tv speakers!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us