Good A/V Receiver that is obselete-proof for $400?

Username: Peeb

Oklahoma Usa

Post Number: 3
If I only spend $400, can I find a good A/V receiver that won't be obsolete in 2 or 3 years?

Specific models to suggest?
Specific features or connection options to demand?

Thanks, PEEB

Oklahoma Usa

Post Number: 4
PS- if it cannot be done for $400, what's the best unit as cheap as possible, in your opinion?

I'm not cheap, I'm just... no, wait- I am cheap. This is actually why I am worried about obsolescence- I don't want to do this again right away. thanks again!

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11267
There are plenty of good AV receivers at that price range but none that is guaranteed to NOT be obsolete in 2 or 3 years. I wish I had that kind of foresight...

Check out the Pioneer VSX-1016.

Oklahoma Usa

Post Number: 5
Thanks, Berny. That's a pretty impressive feature set for that price (I've tracked down on the net to be $359 to $399). For anyone else interested, here's a cnet review:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Pioneer_VSX_1016TXV/4505-6466_7-32026748.html

Read that the HDMI was a bit limited, but I understand that we're talking about spending less than $400, so what would you expect.

Specifically, the review states in one place:
"The receiver will convert composite and S-Video sources to output to component video as well. Audio connectivity includes one set of stereo inputs and one in/out tape loop. The 7.1-channel analog input can be used with HD-DVD, Blu-ray, DVD-Audio, or SACD players. (In fact, because of the aforementioned HDMI audio shortfall, it's your only worthwhile choice.)"

Having never owned or used anything with HDMI, I am not sure what that means. Anything in the cnet review make this a deal killer?

Regardless, it looks like a very nice unit. Anyone have any real world experience?

Oklahoma Usa

Post Number: 6
Berny says: "I wish I had that kind of foresight"

Me too, Berny. Perhaps I should take this opportunity to do nothing for awhile? Just read that HDMI 1.3 standard is approved, with new products on the way in a few months. Even if I had to bust my $400 budget- maybe smarter to hunker down, and wait just a bit longer?

What would everyone else do?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11269
What would you do in the meantime? By the time the next upgrade is available, there is another lurking behind it. If you keep waiting you have nothing in the present. Don't get caught in that cycle. :-)

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1287
Peeb nothing will get outdated except your own expectations and how much you buy into hype.

Oklahoma Usa

Post Number: 7
True, Stof, true.

Bronze Member

Oklahoma Usa

Post Number: 11
Found the VSX-1016 for only $374.00 at beach camera (free shipping, no sales tax). Amazing. Thanks, Berny. Saved so much, I'm looking at TV's now. Check out my new thread, as my journey continues. Thanks to all. This forum rules.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11324
Way to go Peeb. Hope you enjoy it!

Bronze Member

Oklahoma Usa

Post Number: 15
vsx-1016 came in today! Hooked it up and I must say that I was surprised at just how thoroughly it kicked the *ss of my old pioneer vsx-d407. The new technology really really sounds terrific.

The fancy automatic set-up was really nifty. I am sure that it is not perfect, but it great fun to watch. Now I need an upconvert DVD player, and of course a big screen.

Thanks again to all for the suggestions.

Peeb
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us