5.1 or 7.1--what is best for me? Help!

Username: Ttellez

Post Number: 2
I am setting up a media room. it's 17'w x 20' deep. It has two levels of seating. The first row is about 10 feet from the screen and the second is about 15' from the screen. My question is two fold. 1. Where do I figure my speaker location- first row or second? 2. Should I buy a 5.1 or 7.1 system? I appreciate all input. Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1260
A 5.1 system should be plenty for a room of that size. The extra 2 speakers serve very little purpose at this point where nothing is recorded 7.1

You can always buy a 7.1 receiver and wait to add the additional 2 if you feel it is absolutely necessary.

Silver Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 135
The movie watching experience in 7.1 is much better than 5.1.

Do the 7.1!! With all due respect to Stof, I think he's way off base on this one. Whether or not there are 7.1 discrete DVDs means absolutely nothing, because the receivers job is to matrix 5.1 content into 7.1.

Username: Shubho

and would a 5.1 tower system (160W RMS, 72db) work for a 25'w x 50' room? i'm not looking for high-end solutions.

Username: Shubho

Post Number: 3
and would a 5.1 tower system (160W RMS, 72db) work for a 25'w x 50' room? i'm not looking for high-end solutions.

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1267
"because the receivers job is to matrix 5.1 content into 7.1."

And how does that help? How does the receiver decide what sounds should go into side speakers where the original sound editor did not intend?

Username: Drgroovee

Portland, OR USA

Post Number: 1
Timothy,

It sounds to me like you are building a nice space that you intend to enjoy for a long time. While it is true that there are no discs recorded in 7.1 as yet and 6.1 discreet discs are few and far between, the introduction of HDDVD and Blu-Ray disc promise that we will see 7.1 introduced at some point. If you want to have the speakers in place for the future, then you can install the full array of speakers now and be ready for 7.1 when it comes down the pike.
It is true that receivers on the market right now will extrapolate signal from the side surrounds and distribute it to the rear channels as a sort of "back fill"- so your speakers will not lie dormant.
As for accomodating both rows of seating, consider a dipolar surround speaker. There are many on the market that will offer a diffuse surround to all listeners. Some designs will shoot sound toward the rear of the room and you will get some rear wall refraction. This being the case, you can still get a very immersive experience from a 5.1 setup.
If you want to start with the smaller setup now but be free to expand in the future, have lengths of wire run to the back of your room for future speaker additions. You can add the 'surround back' speakers at any time!

Cheers.
Caleb Denison
Home Theater Guru
aperionaudio.com

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 10937
Caleb,
Are you affiliated with Aperion Audio?

Portland, OR USA

Berny,
Yes I am, as my signature indicates.

Cheers.
Caleb Denison
Home Theater Guru
aperionaudio.com

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 10938
That is cool.

Welcome to the forum, Caleb! Your insight will be appreciated.

Portland, OR USA

Post Number: 3
Thanks, Berny! We love this site and are eager to participate. I assure you that we have a strict policy against adverposts here- so you won't catch us trying to sell any product.

Cheers.
Caleb Denison
Home Theater Guru
aperionaudio.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us