Connecting home theater system question

Username: Ryan03

Post Number: 1
alright guys i just bought a new sony home theater system. I'm having a little trouble getting it all hooked up. I want to hook up my digital cable, dvd player, and a ps2. I have the digital optical cable going into the receiver from the cable box, i have the coaxial cable going from the dvd player to the receiver, also a video cable from the dvd player to the tv, and i have the ps2 rca cables audio cables going into the analog video 2 section and the video cord going right to the television.

My problem is that i dont know what input my digital cable is hooked up to on the receiver. The options are sa/cd, video 1 and 2 and dvd. Since im using the digital optical cable, i currently dont have anything plugged into those inputs besides the ps2 audio. Would i need to run an extra set of rca cables into the video 1 of the receiver in order for it to work, and would i have to do the same thing with the dvd player? I know this may seem like a silly question, but im not to smooth with electronics, any help would be appreciated

Post Number: 2
also i forgot to mention my receiver does not have any video inputs on it so i can not run video through it. It just has audio inputs labeled video 1 and 2, dvd, and sa/cd with red and white inputs. so basically what im asking is how do u know what input on the receiver each device is hooked up to?

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2976
It should say where the connections are what input it is. Just turn on whatever device you want to know what input it's on and switch inputs until you hear audio and that's what input it's on. Make sure your DVD player is set to bitstream in the audio menus.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1064
also i forgot to mention my receiver does not have any video inputs on it

Once again I suspect this is a good example of why some minimum research before purchase is necessary. You fail to mention what model your TV is, but I would guess its available inputs are limited. If true, you are screwed due to the fact you bought a cheap Sony HTIB with limited inputs/outputs which severely limit your hookup options. This you soon found out when you unpacked it.

Ryan, I could be wrong abou all this, but how can I check all this out without some model numbers?

Post Number: 3
Home Theater System is Sony HT-DDW700

Television is Emerson 27 inch flat screen EWF2704

I dont actually have any problems with availability for audio inputs, my question is actually how to i know what input my cable box is hooked up to on the receiver since i have it hooked up with the digital optical cable, digital optical is not an option when switching between inputs, its either video 1, 2, or sa/cd, and also dvd.

John if you have any connection tips i would appreciate that as well.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2979
Look at the inputs, they will tell you what they are. Turn on the cable box and go through the inputs until you hear the audio, when you hear the audio, that's what input it's on.

Silver Member
Username: Rick_ross

Post Number: 364
yo

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1066
Ryan, check out page 47 in your owners manual and read the section on "Switching the audio input mode."
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us