Seeking Bose Acoustimass alternative

Username: Scot_m

Post Number: 1
I'm in the same boat as many others. My wife really wanted a Bose system to replace our big old tower speakers. I purchased an Acoustimass 16 two weeks ago for $1104.00 on sale. I haven't taken it out of the box yet.

Since then, I've been doing a lot of reading about Bose on forums like this and others, which has inspired me to keep shopping. I've been to every audio store in my area - from local shops to the big chain stores (which doesn't amount to much). I've sat and listened to systems ranging from $300 to $30,000, using the Lord of the Rings DVD - chapter 1.

My budget for speakers, sub woofer and receiver is around $1,800. I want full sound but can't do towers or floorstanding. The speakers need to be hung and can't be much larger than a shoebox. I also need a sub woofer that produces good, clean, strong bass that raises the goose bumps, if you know what I mean. We are 95% HT 5% music.

Here is what I'm considering so far...

Onkyo TX-SR803 ($799 on sale)
Velodine DPS 12 subwoofer ($549)
Bose 301 front ($148 on sale)
Bose 201 rear ($100 on sale)
Bose VCS 10 center ($180 on sale)

I suppose the Bose bookshelf speakers that I've listed are as hated as the acoustimass type, but they sounded pretty good to me. Anyway, I'd like to hear your opinions of my list so far - thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Em69

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 92
Check out the Paradigm series (110s) for centre/left/right, the PDR 10 for sub and the 70s or 90s for rears. They are all wall mounts, but slightly larger than a shoebox. The sound is excellent. The set of six should run you about $1K.

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1112
Scot there are so many options available to you at that price point. I don't know where you live so I can't tell you what speakers you can actually listen to, but certainly Paradigms and B&W will be worth your while. If you don't mind the internet route take a look at Ascend or Axiom or Aperion which have 30 day money back guarantee including shipping. If small package is important to you then Orb may be a good alternative.

Also in that price range for a receiver you should seriously take a look at Outlaw.

Username: Mcbane

Post Number: 6
Scot,

Check out Kef 3005's

http://www.cnet.com.au/hometheatre/audio/0,39025973,40063601,00.htm
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us