PIP - Can it be done

Username: Dpmc

FL

Post Number: 1
Hi,
I just set up my new plasma (Pioneer PDP4360) and am wondering if there is anyway of using my PIP? I currently have Verizon FIOS tv and am wondering if I use a splitter, and run one cable into the TV and the other into the Verizon Motorola box if I am able to the use the PIP function? The tv does have two tuners and an HD tuner...

Thanks in advance,
David

Username: Sarah422124

Derry, Nh Usa

Post Number: 1
yes you can do it that way that basecailly the only way to do it right now but keep in mind one side of the picture is going to be hd and the other itsn't going to be. just spilt the cable before it go to the cable box one side goes to the cable box and the other goes stright into the tv

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1132
D that FIOS TV sounds interesting and I know there are very few places where they are offered. Is this actually IP TV? Can you hook it up to your router and watch it on your PC?

FL

Post Number: 2
Stof,
FIOS tv runs over VZ fibre optic line that runs into my home. I also have the VZ high speed internet which runs over the fibre optic line. So, yes it can be considered IP TV. WIth respect to watching it on my PC I don't know. I have VZ coming out next Friday to install HD so I will check with them and let you know..

FL

Post Number: 3
Sarah,
I am a little confused with the PIP. I have split the coaxial and have a PIP picture, but I am unable to change the PIP picture/channel. Since i need a box to change the channel on the main screen, wouldn't I need a second box to change the PIP screen (channel)?

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 236
No reason it cannot, you have dual tuners inside that TV.

Username: Sarah422124

Derry, Nh Usa

Post Number: 2
as long as theres a tuner in it it will work with your tv but if you don't have a tuner which infact some tvs dont and i'm really not to sure about yours you just need to get an old VCR with a tuner in it and run the cable thought there

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1004
D, I think you need to do a "Auto Channel Preset" on that incoming cable on Ant. A or B, whichever antenna input it is going into. Then you will be able to change channels on the basic cable picture while using the cable box to change the other picture. See page 38 in your owner's manual.

FL

Post Number: 4
John,
Thanks for your response..
What I would like to do (don't know if it's possible) is to receive the same channels that come through the VZ cable box on the PIP screen.
Currently, I can only receive some local channels using PIP, but not the regular channels coming through the cable box. In other words, I would like to receive ESPN on the main screen, and HBO on the PIP screen..
Do you own a PDP4360?
Thanks!

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 240
Only if your cable box has duo-tuners, otherwise your stuck with basic cable from the tuner in your TV.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1009
If, after doing a channel scan on the basic cable antenna input, all you can get are "some local channels" then it seems you would need a second box for total channel selection on both pictures. This would not only involve a higher monthly cable bill for the second box rental, but also problems with one remote working both boxes as they respond to the same infrared code.

A more workable solution might be the use of a CableCARD if Verizon offers one. You would retain your original cable box for normal use, and use the CC signal for the second picture when using PiP. In theory this should work, but I must admit we are in territory outside my experience.

No I don't own a 4360---I just looked at the PDF file of your manual on Panasonic's site. Looks like a nice TV though. Are you getting any High Def channels?

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 249
John there are set top boxes out there that have duo-tuners. Thats how they can record one show on another channel while watching another, as well as having PiP with the "premium" cable channels. They are way more expensive and probably only avail with satt? I don't know tbh, I just saw the tuners when getting pitched on sat, no one at my cable company has offered me a similar piece of hardware.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us