Any comment on Yamaha YHT-450?

Username: Keithse

Post Number: 1
any review or comment is welcome

MJ
Unregistered guest
I heard the YHT-450 at BB. Sounded pretty realistic. But, like you, I haven't seen any reviews. Have you heard anything new since your post?

Post Number: 3
Oh, I read from another forum that YHT-450 performs pretty good when watching movie, but not that good in music. Still, no formal review is done by expert.

MJ
Unregistered guest
I presume the YHT-450 is a very recent release.

Post Number: 4
well, YHT-450 is likely a newer version of YHT-440, which has been released for a while I guess. However, there was still not much review on YHT-440 either. Looks like not much ppl is interesting in it

MJ
Unregistered guest
If I hear anything, I'll post it.

Bobby Kinstle
Unregistered guest
I saw one at Best Buy last night with a friend and it sounded really good. The lower midrange vocals were better than any of the other small HT systems. It sounded just a little flat though. It's so hard to tell in the noisy show room.

Username: Maneeshs

Post Number: 2
Hey All:

I was at Fry's today and was focusing on the Onkyo HTS 770. I saw the YHT-450 and asked the guy about it. He said the Onkyo was better because the Yamaha speakers have paper cones rather than polyurethane (sp?) ones. He said the YHT-450 speakers would wear out faster. I did not try to listen to it after hearing that.

Thanks,

Maneesh

james riggs
Unregistered guest
i just bought this system. i had been looking at the onkyo hts 760. i went to listen to that system at circuit cty and was less than impressed. i found the 450 at bbuy and it had a significantly more full bodied sound. with either of these systems you're getting a very decent receiver and low end speaker system.

there is no s-video switching on the yamaha, which seems like a pretty odd exclusion considering it does have component video. the speakers seem well equipped for movie viewing, but i do notice a lack of lower mid frequency response when listening to music. in a side by side comparison with my infinity sm-110s (with about 12 years of tread on them) there's no question that the speakers are lacking. that may sound like a complaint, but for a $500 receiver/7 speaker boxed package, you get what you play for.

you can easily replace the speaker system down the road with a nice voice matched polk or infinity system (which will cost you at least a little more than this whole system) and be way ahead of the game. it's not audiophile gear, but it's a great deal if you just want a solid system.

the receiver however blows the doors off of the sony str-de 915 it replaced.

now to convince the wife not to force the infinity speakers into retirement...

Magical Pig
Unregistered guest
I've had this system for two weeks now. I think it's a good deal for the price, less than $380 before shipping if you shop around the net.

The receiver is solid, comparable to if not better than other $300 models. The two main speakers are fair, better than anything else you're likely to find bundled in a $500 home theater package. The front speaker and the three rear speakers are about par for this kind of deal, which is to say, mediocre.

The subwoofer is also mediocre, not because of distortion - it's pretty clean sounding - but because it lacks the real low-end (below 40Hz). I've replaced mine with a Velodyne FSX-12 that I got from a friend (thanks David), and the difference is tremendous. With the receiver's crossover set to 120Hz and the low frequencies going only to the subwoofer, the sound is impressive.

I don't hear the lack of low mids that the previous poster mentioned, but I'm not an audiophile and I'm not using the stock system. The main speakers can't produce the detail I've heard in better speakers. but considering the price they're quite good. The highs are very clean.

My advice is to know what you're getting in this package: a decent and powerful receiver; a subwoofer that can reproduce the lowest bass guitar note but can't do the audible octave below; a pair of 3-way front main speakers that sound pretty good, especially for the price; a center speaker and three rear speakers that are OK for surround sound but not good enough for music.

yep3636
Unregistered guest
I just bought this from Best Buy last night and haven't even opened it yet. I was looking for a low priced HT system to go with my new TV and came across the YHT-450. It was an open box item, but it is complete and verified to be like new by the BB technicians. The best thing was I got it for $339. I took a chance on it cause I saw that the receiver itself sold for $299 in the next aisle. I'm glad that this is a decent package and a great package for the price I paid.

Bronze Member
Username: Matthew2582

Raymore, MO United States

Post Number: 34
Yikes - the sales guy tells the customer - the Onkyo speakers have 'polyurethane' cones and that paper cones wear out faster.

Shows you how much most sales guys know at Big Box stores. First off - polyurethane is most definitely NOT used as a cone material - (although polypropylene is and Onkyo does not use this rather high end material) and secondly, paper cones last as long as any other material - as recording studios using 40 year old Tannoy Golds or JBL Century 100's will tell you.

Matthew

Username: Uglybuckling

Post Number: 1
Hey all,

I'm setting up a system in my college dorm room next year (already got the projector!) and this Yamaha speaker system is near the top of my list, along with the Pioneer HTP240.

I'll be using the system mostly to play mp3s and to watch DVDs on a HTPC with an audigy 7.1 card.

I guess my question is "do you recommend looking at this system or another....and if another, which?"

Thanks,
--B

Username: Uglybuckling

Post Number: 2
Errr....

Scratch that Pioneer system. I'm an idiot. I *meant* the Onkyo SKS HT240s.

I'm also considering the 770/760 that's got everybody over in that other thread all up in arms. Wondering how these systems stack up against the Yamaha.

--B

GS
Unregistered guest
I bought the YHT-450 a few days ago. When I first turned it on, I was very disappointed with the performance with music. Very poor low frequency response. And there was also distortion when you cranked up the volume. I got rid of the distortion by using 16 gauge cabling instead and adjusting the DVD/CD player to send native PCM to the receiver instead of DTS or Dolby Digital. However, I am still not pleased with the performance with music. The drums just do not come out clean. So I am going to return this and just a non-home theatre system

Hang
Unregistered guest
Well, I got my YHT-450 for $299 at Fry's. The system needs to break in a little. The vocal sound range is good and detail, but tremble is missing or not as sharp as I like it. but for $299, I shouldn't complaint.

Mikey2323
Unregistered guest
I just got the yht-450 since I work at best buy and got an amazing deal for everything including all the top cables, power center, and so on. One problem I am having is that my center rear speaker is not working. Any ideas on the problem?

Tunajive
Unregistered guest
Well there Mikey, I work at BBY as well and in the home theater section. You may not have it set right for 6.1 and may only be using 5.1. I agree that most "big box stores" have people that don't know what they're talking, I am not one of them. Cost for me on the system is $357.00 new in a box. I'm impressed with the system only because I am not expecting a top of the line system, and like a few of you have said, it comes with a real receiver and it doesn't have brand selective hook-ups on it(I hate that). Speakers are great for what you pay for, but the key is the reciever. The lack of S-video on this reciever is the difference between the reciever you get and the one above it($50-$100). Thats all, Yamaha makes quality recievers and OK speakers. Good buy in my opinion, I'll let you know how it goes.

77jimmy
Unregistered guest
I bought this system as well and I am having an issue with it. When I play dvds or use the tuner it is fine but input from the TV is so low that I have to crank the volume up which produces a hissing sound that is very annoying. Could this be a busted RCA cable?

Aderthui
Unregistered guest
Hellozorz, I ordered this system recently. I'm from Canada and thus had to pay taxes, pay a higher shipping rate, and face less than fair exchange rates. But with all that included, it cost me around $500 US, which, considering is the MSRP, isn't too bad.

They don't sell the same one in Canada. They sell a similar one which includes the same speakers but a different (more expensive) receiver (I believe the RX-V770 or somesuch), but it's ridiculously more expensive than it would be if this package was available in the US.

I forgot what my original point was, really, except to say that I'll post an update later on when I get the package.

SomeGuyNamedChad
Unregistered guest
I bought this system at BB as well, (right after they upped the power from 600 to 700 watts) and I have been pretty satisfied. It's a nice setup for a home theater in a box and the only thing I am disappointed with is the subwoofer (there is a lot of speaker noise - not a blown speaker, just the speaker movement when it comes to lower frequencies - they need a low frequency cutoff). No matter, now that I live in a townhouse I don't even have the thing hooked up. The main speakers handle the lower frequencies well enough.

It took some time to set it up - you will really want to go into the menu and adjust the distance to the listening area and the gains on each speaker. Out of the box it sounded OK, but after a few hours of twiddling it sounded quite a bit better.

The different DSP modes are fun to play with, the setting for TV audio is pretty good if you have a decent TV signal. Most of the time the cable company compressess the audio too much and you really notice it with this set. I don't have satelite TV, so I can't comment on that. The DVD audio sounds fine with my Apex DVD player connected via toslink, and the audio from the PS2 and Xbox is really good (PS2 is typically just surround music, but the Xbox has dynamic 5 channel sound). I also have a Gamecube (Dolby Pro Logic 2) and that sounds good as well.

I was kind of hoping for more than 2 optical inputs and 2 component inputs, but all-in-all it wasn't a bad price. I haven't tried to pass any HD signals through the component inputs, so I can't comment on that either.

Bob Thompson
Unregistered guest
Just got this system last week and it's actually been really nice so far. It takes some tweaking to get it sounding just right for your environment but that is true with any system. I decided to buy it because it was the top rated HT in a box by Consumer Reports. They have done me right on so many other things and I think they were right on this one as well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us