Projection system questions

Username: Alex_carlson

Post Number: 2
Hey all:-) Looking for some advice on setting up a front-projector in my newly finished basement. My main question regarding this is whether there is a set distance the projecter has to be away from the screen or not. I knoew that depending on screen size there is a certain recommended viewing distance, but what about the projector? Also, i would *really* like to have the screen a motorized one that goes down when i turn the system on and up when i turn it off, rather than haveing to use a completely seperate remote for that as well.

I'm still looking at projectors.... I would like HD and a screen somewhere in the neighborhood of 100". THank you in advance for any help you can give:-)

Alex Carlson

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 891
There is a recommended distance and proportional viewing size that is determined by the lamp and the resolution of the projector itself. The higher end ones will give better resolution at more distant postion and bigger viewing areas. I assume by 100" you mean diagonally which really translates into 6'x4' screen, and that is just about average for most projectors around $1000 to $1500. Of course you can always spend more and get better resolution even at this size screen.

"i would *really* like to have the screen a motorized one that goes down when i turn the system on and up when i turn it off, rather than haveing to use a completely seperate remote for that as well. "

I'm not sure about this one. What do you mean by the "system"? The projector? the HT receiver? I have not seen either of these options. Is a permanent screen not an option?

I would look into infocus, Sharp and mitsubishi for the lower end projectors. Sharp and infocus have higher end ones as well.

Username: Alex_carlson

Post Number: 3
By the "system" i meant the projector. And I want to have a painting behind the screen so when I raise the screen it tucks away and i can still enjoy the painting. The room also has a fireplace and is sort of a sitting room in addition to at T.V. room. I have HD satellite TV, and i'm looking to spend no more than about 6k on the whole setup, already have the audio stuff... went with Klipsch 5.1 system and a yamaha reciever. So basically i have to fit screen-projector distance per projector?

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 892
You probably want to look at those roll up screens that mount into the ceiling. I don't know of one that connects to the projector so it comes down automatically, and I don't think you want to run a wire all the way from the projector to the screen just so it would do it automatically. However you may want to invest in a universal remote that will let you control your projector and then program the screen up and down features into it as well. That way you only use one remote to turn on the whole system.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us