Help needed with Coaxial digital cables

Username: Ford2581

Post Number: 1
I have all sony equipment, dvd player and receivers. I have always used optical connections when they are available, Now 2 of my friend have sony receivers and dvd players that only have digital coaxial connections and not optical for the dvd input. When I hooked up the coaxial cables they won't send a digital signal to the receiver or the receiver isn't recognizing it. I even tried on my setup that has both optical and coaxial connections and the coaxial still does not work. I played with all the settings and looked through the manuals and nothing. Also note that the receivers all have a blue light on the front for when a digital signal is present. What am I doing wrong, all 3 receivers can't be broken.

Bronze Member
Username: Bachatero07

Post Number: 31
1st, personally (and most companies agree also) digital coaxial connections have better quality. now, on to the problem. either the dvd player or most likely the receiver isnt set up to receive the digital signal on the given input device. connect it and leave something playing theb rotate through the different inputs and see which one is actually recieving that signal.

Post Number: 2
Tried that. It always gets the analog signal but the digital willoverride it when it finds it. I have no problem if I use a optical cable just the coaxial cable.

Bronze Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 91
Your problem does'nt make sense. Optical and coaxil do the same job equally well, the coaxil cost less to buy. You need to post all of your model numbers, there is a set-up problem either in the reciever or the DVD player. Most sony recievers have a dedicated digital input for DVD or TV/SAT. The DVD player set up may need to have the digital bit stream turned on.

Post Number: 3
My personal setup is a STR-DA5000ES it has optical and coaxial connections as my dvd player a DVP-F21 if I use an optical cable for the digital connections it works fine, if I try to use the coaxial it doesn't. The problem isn't with my setup its with my friends, He has a STR-DE895 and a sony dvd player I forgot the model on that but the receiver only has coaxial inputs for the dvd player, optical is only for the SAT inputs and its already being used. So when I use the coaxial cable there is no sound. I had this problem with another sony setup as well, If there is someone that has sony products and ran into this problem let me know how you fixed it. I'm guessing that there is some setting that I am missing. I DO NOT want personal opinions on which is better optical or coaxial, thats not my problem I just can't get coaxial to work at all
=(

Post Number: 4
Oh and one more thing, I work at monster cable so I have access to any cable I need, cost isn't an issue and I Personally prefer optical ;)

Post Number: 5
Nobody uses coaxial cables with sony receivers?

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 116
"only has coaxial inputs for the DVD player".

I think you missed Dennis' point. It only has the "defaults" set for coaxial input for DVD (or optical for the SAT for that matter), but you can assign input "names" to the hard-plug ins. If your DVD player works with optical, it will work with coax (assuming the cable is in working condition). It would already be set to "bit stream", unless your player has to have each output assigned (which I doubt, but maybe). What Dennis is saying is to plug in your DVD player, VERIFY (ie go to the set-up menu and ENSURE the proper settings have been made for that output) then play a movie or whatever. Then cycle through ALL the input channels on your receiver until you hear the recording. Further, VERIFY all the channels are set to "auto" before listening to them. I "highlighted" verify because of the nature of the word. It is meant to bring attention to an error, and requires you to actually go through the menus and check, not assume all is as you think it to be. Otherwise it is your cable that is broken.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us