THX HELP

Username: Zany

Post Number: 3
I will be setting up a 7.1 theater in a couple weeks. I was looking for the best possible set up on speaker placement, so i ventured over to thx.com.
They have a 7.1 set up there that i could use but, i'm a little confused about all the THX certified stuff they have. What i want to know is do i have to have thx certified speakers for this to work. I have THX reciever though. I know i sound like a noob, but i could really use some help. Here is the Set Up i might use.

http://www.audioholics.com/FAQs/THXp2.html#illustrations Its figure #2.

Also if anyone can reccomend another setup that would be appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 785
The quick answer is no. THX is a certification process that audio companies will go through if they want to pay George Lucas for the bounty of getting this lable on their product. It basically certifies that the equipment will not fail at producing certain ranges of sound over a stressed period of playing.

There are many equipment that would otherwise be extremely good that do not have the certification. There is nothing wrong with it mind you, but it is not absolutly necessary.

Username: Zany

Post Number: 4
ok thats good. So what do you think about the set up that they have there?

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 786
There is great debate about 7.1 vs. 5.1 and placement. I'm with the mindset that says right now 5.1 is plenty. Since not every movie is even recorded in 5.1 and there is nothing that I know of that is recorded in 7.1 to mention nothing of Cable/Satellite/TV programming (all pretty much 2 channels), there is no reason to buy a 7.1 speaker set at this point. Very little even comes out of the back speakers in a 5.1 setting unless you use some of DTS modes which choose (almost randomly in some cases) to through sounds to the back speakers for no apparant reason.

Go for a 5.1 speaker set and a good subwoofer an use the fig 1 or 3 setup without the sides. You can always setup the extra 2 speakers later.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us