Replace my Bose with something better

Bronze Member
Username: Em69

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 63
I've come to realize that my Bose speaker system (which I got for free, thankfully) is creating poor sound quality. I've noticed that I am missing some dialogue during movies due to the small centre channel speaker.

I would like to replace them.

What are some speaker options which are a suitable match for a Denon AVR1403 receiver? My budget is $500- 900 for a 5.1 system.

Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 6101
Look at the Paradigms that fall within your budget. They really work well with Denon.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6102
I think the Athenas also work well with Denon, but others believe that they are too bright for the Denon.

Bronze Member

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 64
The Paradigms dealer in my area is quoting prices of almost $500 just for one set. What models are you referring to that would fall within my budget?

The JBLs seem well priced and seem to get very good reviews (E10, E20, EC25 & E150P) . Any thoughts on this brand and how it would work with my receiver?

Thanks for your help.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6111
I am not a big JBL fan so I can't comment on those.

If you have Paradigm dealers in your area, let them know your budget.

February69
Unregistered guest
Why don't you try replacing the center channel??

Varit
Unregistered guest
Orb Audio might work if you are looking for something compact but much better than Bose. It's right in your price range, too.

Bronze Member

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 65
February69:

What centre channel is compatible with a Bose system?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6184
Another Bose.

Bronze Member

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 66
That's what I thought. Then I will replace it all.

Username: Roberts

Redmond , WA USA

Post Number: 4
Paradigms sound good, it looks like Berny does nothing but read audio websites and magazines all day. People like Berny made my money for me, walking books is what they are.
I would trust his opinion, but be sure to test out the speakers if you can.

Bronze Member

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 68
I took a look at the Paradigm Cinema 110CT. I really like the look of them and they are exactly what I am looking for. However, I was told by the rep that the rear surrounds would not work with my room configuration. So he suggested that I purchase the Cinema 70 for rears. The problem with that is that I am forced to pay for the rears that come with the 110CT which I will not use.

Is there an on-line store which would allow me to purchase the fronts and centre of 110CT separately from the rears??

Drewboy
Unregistered guest
Berny is on the money to suggest Denon & Paradigm. I have that pairing of brands, and I love every listen. (Denon 3805, Paradigm Ref Studio 20's)

http://www.paradigm.com/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmModels/CinemaCT/Cine ma110CT_Specs.html

I would probably mount those surrounds on the side walls. If that's not possible, see if you can purchase speakers that match the front pair and EBay the surrounds. I don't have a room that is conductive to using dipolar surrounds on the sidewalls either. Its a headache...

Bronze Member
Username: Shepyjay

Ont Canada

Post Number: 33
if u can find some energy speaker pkg and or psb they are also good to

Bronze Member
Username: Shepyjay

Ont Canada

Post Number: 34
if u can afford these they are great psb alpha series

Bronze Member

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 69
Where would I find information which clearly states ideal room styles for the Paradigm ADP surrounds?

I've searched and searched and searched...I find nothing that says it wouldn't work in my space.

Bronze Member

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 74
Berny,
One recommendation was to purchase 5 Cinema 110s. Could I install my rears horizontally due to space constraints? Do they really have to hang vertically to achieve the best performance?

Bronze Member
Username: Armyscout42

DUGWAY , UTAH USA

Post Number: 13
TRY BIC, AUDIO PRO, WHARFEDALES, FLUANCE, AXIOM, ORB, or check out www.audiogon.com

Bronze Member

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 76
I bought the 110s for my L, R, and centre and the 70s for my rears. I should get them in about a week or so.

Bronze Member
Username: Armyscout42

DUGWAY , UTAH USA

Post Number: 30
em69 what brands did you get..you just pointed out model numbers...? whatever it is you are getting as long as you are happy with the purchase. if you need some inexpensive sound improvement...let me know or ask any of the experts here like mr vigne, and a few others.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us