Films with upper centre channel!

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Post Number: 1346
Films with upper centre channel!

Over the few years now I have been using the upper centre channel technique, now you to can have the upper centre channel in your home cinemas!

So how do you rig the upper centre channel to your existing home cinema set-up!

First of all guys and dolls your going to need a Dolby Pro-Logic decoder or processor, to extract the information from the left and right, this signal is otherwise know as the phantom centre, so just like in the ole grand days of Dolby Pro-Logic, which still has plenty of magic to play with.

So re-plug the fronts left and right and connect the outputs from the AVR or processor to the "Lt-Rt" inputs of the Dolby Pro-Logic decoder, now send the outputs to the stereo front amplifier, now if you are not running separate amplification like myslfe and a few others hear on the "S&V" buy a new or second-hand amplifier and just follow what I have just said.

Now connect an RCA phone lead to the centre output from the Dolby Pro-Logic decoder and connect it to the amplifier, now if you can afford to use separate amplifiers all the way though this will be the best option.

Also you are going to need a loudspeaker for the upper centre channel; the upper centre channel should be placed at least, two feet above the centre channel and pointing downwards into the sweet spot.

Note: The "volume" or "fader" level on the Dolby Pro-Logic decoder needs to be turned UP! To match the original level as it was before, if you have any difficulties PM me or post it hear on the upper centre channel post and I'll help you out into achieving the upper centre channel.

Note: Calibration play wideband pink noise from a Dolby Digital or dts disc, and use the all channels, pink noise, turn the split-surrounds off, this will keep the calibration from adding extra SPL db sound pressure level onto what you should be looking at.

You should be looking at the signal from the centre channel, and setting the SPL db level for a giving 75db C weighting, now check the left and right for the same 75db C weighting, for each channel.

Now that you have done that part, now turn the centre and left and right channels OFF! Now play the wideband pink noise, and turn the Pro-Logic ON and adjust the centre channel output so that the SPL db meter reads 75db C weighting.

Now hears a few films that have upper centre channel information, and there's a whole lot more to come!

Hail Columbia 1982 DVD
Narration is heard from the upper centre while still been heard from, the centre.

Die Hard with a Vengeance 1995 dts Laserdisc
There is scene where "Jeremy Irons" calls a radio station, and his voice is heard in the "upper centre channel" while been heard at very low level on the left and right.

Apollo 13 1995 dts "THX" Laserdisc
"Jim, you're all set" this is heard nicely in the "upper centre channel" as is a few sound effects.

Daylight 1996 dts "THX" Laserdisc
Sound effects and end credits, and vocal lyrics by "Donna Summers" is heard in the "upper centre channel"

Goldeneye 1995 dts "THX" Laserdisc
Sound effects galore is spot with this "James Bond" Classic, now some 11 years old, and boy does the upper centre channel have the upper hand with this dts mix, same will apply with the Dolby Digital realise.

So why don't have a look around in the attic for that old Dolby Pro-Logic decoder and sprinkle some black ole magic into your home cinema tonight! It's that easy.

I'll keep you guys and dolls posted on more films with some clear upper centre channel news over next few weeks, but those are some of the highlights for the meantime, enjoy it.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us