Hissing/Static

Username: Earl9168

Orange Park, FL USA

Post Number: 9
I'd like to thank everyone that has given me some good advice in the past and I'm hoping this will be the last thread that I have to initiate in my seemingly endless quest to get my receiver and all of it's elusive features set up.

Here's the deal. I have a Sony STR-DE697 that I have set up for 5.1 surround. I have my DVD hooked up to it via digital coax and am able to enjoy crystal clear surround sound. I have a 2 channel analog cord going from my satellite receiver into the video 2 of the Sony receiver. According to the manuel of the Sony receiver, it has the capability to take that 2 channel sound and play it over the entire 5.1 speaker setup. The instructions say that all I have to do is press the A.F.D. button until I get the sound. Well....I get the sound through all the speakers but I am also getting a lot of static and hissing noise. This noise increses and decreases with the movement of the volume control. When I select the button for 2 channel sound, I get clear sound again but it's only through the front left and right speakers. Can anyone help me get rid of the noise?

Bronze Member
Username: Mph

Post Number: 35
A decoding mode like Pro-Logic should light up on your receivers display. My manual states the following:

PRO-LOGIC: Lights up when the receiver applies Pro-Logic processing to a 2-channel signal in order to output the center and surround channels. However, this indicator does not light if the center and surround speakers are set to "NO" and auto-decoding, or normal surround is selected.

Try one of the other sound fields (say Cinema Studio EX B or normal surround and see what happens).

My receiver did the same thing once I pressed AFD, only front right and left worked. As soon as I switched to a different mode, pro-logic begins sending the signal to the right speakers.

Hope that will work for you.

Username: Earl9168

Orange Park, FL USA

Post Number: 10
I have pressed the AFD button and the PRO-LOGIC button does light up. However, when the receiver is processing the 2 channel sound, I get static. All the settings are correct on the receiver. I've read the manual and am believing I have the thing memorized. Even after contacting Sony, they couldn't determin why I am getting static. I'm beginning to wonder if I have a defective receiver.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us