Confused about what speakers to use for karaoke

Username: Pcdoctor

Post Number: 3
I have the following Mirage speakers:

Left and right fronts - OM10
Center - MCsi
Left and right rear surrounds - 595is
(I'm using a Yamaha HTR5250 receiver)

I sent Mirage's tech support and told them that I wanted to use my home theater for karaoke. This is their response.

"Hello,

Sure, you can use your speakers for Karaoke. However, please be cautious not to overdrive your receiver as clipping sounds could damage the speakers...

Enjoy"

Anyone else using their Mirage or home theater speakers for karaoke? If so, have you damaged any speakers?
If anyone recommends that I purchase dedicated karaoke speakers for my home theater, what do you recommend? I thought about getting some Vocopro SV-300s and connecting them to my Yamaha speakers B terminal. Also, if home theater speakers are horrible for karaoke then what do companies use in their all on one karaoke units?
Ex. Vocopro Duet II
http://vocopro.com/p_sysh.html#duet2
Vocopro's website says the duet II uses stereo speakers. Are the stereo speakers used in all in one karaoke systems hifi speakers or karaoke speakers?

Thx for any input.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 5607
That is a disclaimer for a lot of home speakers. You really have to be careful with using karaoke with regular home speakers as the microphone and the human voice can really drive up the output to clipping levels.

You can use them, just be careful to modulate the volume so you do not overdrive the receiver to clipping levels. Specially if the user has a powerful voice. Clipping is never good for any home audio equipment.

You may want to look at professional speakers for karaoke.

Username: Pcdoctor

Post Number: 9
Yes, I think I'm going to do that. I'm on a budget. Do you think the Vocopro SV-300s are any good?

http://vocopro.com/p_kvs.html#sv-300

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 5627
Oh yeah, the Vocopro's are very nice.

I guess that gives me away, huh?:-)

I swear my kids are crazy about karaoke!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us