Bose Acoustimass 16.. Need recommendations for a Receiver

Username: Stanz12

Post Number: 1
Wife recently purchased an Acoustimass 16 for me. Curious to know what would be the recommended or suggested receiver?

I currently have an Onkyo HTR520 which supports the 6.1 Bose system, however I'm curious to know if there is something out there that will support it better.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 5512
Nothing out there will support Bose any better than what you currently have. If your goal is to get a better sounding system, replacing your current receiver is not the right place to start.

Try listening to other speakers and you will know what I mean.

Username: Dfantom32

Irvine, CA USA

Post Number: 5
Yes its true Soundwave what berny said about the receiver for your AM16, unless you want to get a better sound you need to check the speakers first then from there you know where to start. :-)

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 548
if you like the small size of the Bose speakers, Orb Audio, which are a hair larger than the Bose, will wipe the floor with them in overall sound quality. Not to mention they are cheaper.

Orb speakers come in the standard black and white, but also have the option to come in a downright BEAUTIFUL hand polished copper finish, as well as steel.

I hope you can return the bose for the sake of your ears.

www.orbaudio.com

Bronze Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 71
I am not a Bose fan, but since you already have them one upgrade would be to replace the sub.With the Bose system you run the speaker wire from the receiver to sub and then out to the speakers. Using a real powered sub that connects to the reciever with an RCA jack and plugs into the wall.Then the speakers can plug directly into the reciever.The Bose sub is not powered and is taking all the watts the reciever is pushing out befor sending the little that is left out to the speakers.

Bronze Member
Username: N8d1

Baltimore

Post Number: 16
I would take caution in not using the Accoustimas module. The satelites need the crossover that is built into it. Even if you cross them over from the receiver, you may be sending frequencies that are too low for them to handle. I'm not possitive but the power to them may be controlled by it as well. You have a good chance of destroying them if you connect them directly to your receiver. ...which may not be a bad thing. You could always add a true subwoofer and use the LFE/Subwoofer out from your receiver to run it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us