Need help to decide what floorstand speaker to get...

Username: Dfantom32

Irvine, CA USA

Post Number: 1
I'm planning to upgrade my system (HTB-502), probably the speakers first and next the receiver. Some of my friends mentioned about NHT, B&W and Energy. I already check those speakers and they're all sounds good (B&W and NHT is best sound) Now I having a hard time to decide which one to get...here's the setup will be in my house... it's a 17(L)X17(W)X 9(H) room and probably my budget will be $2500. I'm not sure if i can get a descent speaker for this budget? Maybe someone can give me other speaker that i can check or any recommendations. Thanks for your help! :-)

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 5368
At least you have narrowed down your choices. That is a good thing.

Now go back and listen to the speakers until you come to a decision.

Bring your own music and listen to your favorites, not the dealer's demo. From here you may be able to narrow it down to which one you like.

Irvine, CA USA

Post Number: 2
OIC...so much better to bring my own music or movie to narrow it down huh? Sorry for my ignorance but is it ok with the salesguy to play my cd's/dvd's? Also any speakers that i can consider to check, because it seems that you know a lot when it comes on a/v stuff. :-) What do you think on my budget is that ok or i need to increase more? Sorry berny for asking you a lot of questions.. :-( :-) Anyway, thanks for your info's and helping me on this situation.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5413
No problem.

Yes, it is better to bring your own music/movie. Since you know the material, you will be able to gauge what you are hearing, any differences or subtleties that you have not heard before or those that you no longer hear. If they refuse to let you play your own music, they will lose a sale...after all you are a potential customer and buying speakers entails that you hear what you are purchasing to make a sound (no pun intended) decision.

Your budget will suffice, spending more money really depends on the speaker you end up liking.

What other speakers are available to you in your area?

Irvine, CA USA

Post Number: 3
Well B&W, NHT, Energy, Velodyne, Tannoy, Vienna Acoustics, JM-Labs just name a few...and also I have no idea how much this speakers running in the market besides B&W, Energy & NHT... and the way you said "on spending money really depends on the speaker you end up liking"..well, thats what I'm afraid of..hehehe :-)
I'm pretty sure there's a lot of speakers are good and best, obviously the price on this also.
Thanks for helping on this... I really apreciate it.
:D:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 5488
WOW! You are going to have a tough time making a decision.

The thing to do would be to set a limit on your budget and listen only to those within that budget. Avoid the frustration, of having to increase your budget because you just heard the perfect speaker for your ears and it was not on your list of things to buy:-)
That's how my wife ended up getting Sonus Fabers.

Irvine, CA USA

Post Number: 4
Oh man!!! I've heard that speaker of yours are the best and pricey too!!! hehehe Hey Berny, thanks for your time at least I know where to start checking speakers.
1 more question if you dont mind so you think I can get a decent speakers for $2500? Also any info with B&W speakers? Oh by the way the model that I've heard is 604's S3(front), LCR60 S3(center), 601 S3 (surround) and ASW 650 (subs). Maybe i will look for different subs, 'coz not much punch on the ASW 650...maybe you have some recommendations on the subs.
Thanks Again!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5538
I have no doubt that you will find a great set of speakers for that budget, and Bowers & Wilkins make great speakers.

If you do not believe that the subs can deliver the punch you want, try looking into HSU or SVS subs.

Irvine, CA USA

Post Number: 6
Berny, you've been helpful on my decision making in speakers. At least I know where my budget go and also regarding on B&W which I'm kinda lean on to get maybe I need to browse more to get what I want for my money. Also thanks for the subs info too. :-)

Irvine, CA USA

Post Number: 7
Also I'll let you know what speakers & subs I'll end up buying. :-)
Wish me luck!!! hehehe :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 5541
Good luck!
Upload

Irvine, CA USA

Post Number: 8
Berny, oh man now I'm having a hard time to choose which one I need to get... I wish I didnt go to that store...waaahhh!!!! :-(( Yup, this guy recomending me to check the JMLAB Cobalt 826...they setup the speaker in their lobby which is 25 x 30 feet and 15' height ceiling and cement floor (which its kinda similar with my close patio room 16 x 18 x 9 height with floor tiles), the speaker sounds good (for me & wife) so I'm kind of interested so I ask the Price... its $2700 /pair and he said that I can give you this for around $2300/pair Oh man after I heard the price I said to myself geeezzz!!! why am i got into this situation.... :-(:-(:-( and also he told me if I'm planning to upgrade my receiver go and get Marantz , he also told me that i need to check on Dyna Audio speakers which obvioulsy the price will go up.
Now I'm definitely have a hard time to choose...I dont know if its true on the higher the price the better the sound is... or maybe its just a coincidence 'coz comparing to B&W 604 to JMLAB Cobalt 826.
Now, I'm just wondering let say either of this two I'll end up buying what receiver do i need to get (5.1 or higher) any recommendation is highly appreciated.
Thanks again for your time.
:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 5911
What???? Nobody told you that it was NOT going to be easy??? LOL

I don't envy your position. bUt you have to remember to stick with your budget...let the dealer or whoever it is that is trying to sell you something that you have a budget and that they should respect that. They really shouldn't be showing you anything else beyond your limit.
I cannot comment on the JM Labs, I haven't heard them at length.

Stick with your budget and do not do comparisons beyond that...you'll just get frustrated.

If you really have to go around and compare speakers without regard to price...check out Sonus Faber Cremona or Stradivari. Sweetest speakers I ever owned.

Bronze Member

Irvine, CA USA

Post Number: 13
hmmm...your right on sticking it to my budget because if not those salesguy will take advantage on it.

Well, thanks again for your help Berny...I'm pretty sure you saw me on the other threa (speaker below $500 range) This weekend I will go to the store that has Paradigm..maybe from there I can decide which one is good.

About the Sonus Faber Cremona or Stradivari probably I can check those also. Actually its kinda hard to tell how much is my budget is, my only after is to have a good or nice HT setup home and I want to invest something that I will proud of. Oh man, so complicated of me huh..!??! hehehe :-(:-) The reason I said about not sure on my budget is probably I can spend more if its worth to buy it... I think you know what I mean...:D:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 5928
I know exactly what you mean:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us