Connecting DVD/VCR Combo and DVD Recorder to A/V Receiver and TV

Username: Esbird

Post Number: 1
I have the following equipment and am looking at the most optimal way to connect both the DVD/VCR Combo and the DVD Recorder to the A/V Receiver and TV:

1) Pioneer VSX-515-K (A/V Receiver)
2) Cyberhome DVR-1200MU (DVD Recorder)
3) Samsung DVD-V4600 (DVD/VCR Combo)

The VSX-515 only has video and audio inputs/outputs for one DVR/VCR unit making this setup more difficult. I would like to record TV shows separately on both the DVD/VCR Combo and the DVD recorder plus record VHS to the DVD recorder. I have this working by connecting the video/audio outputs on the DVD/VCR to the video/audio inputs on the DVD Recorder. However, since the cable RF is connected only to the DVD/VCR, I have to use the tuner from the DVD/VCR to record from the TV to the DVD Recorder. Not sure if this is the optimal setup using the above units. Any further help would be much appreciated. Thanks....

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2152
Split the incoming cable to both recorders.

Username: Esbird

Post Number: 2
Thanks David. That takes care of the TV shows, but what about being able to record VHS tapes to my DVD Recorder? If I connect the RCA video/audio out from the DVD/VCR to the DVD Recorder instead of the A/V receiver, I am able to record VHS tapes to my DVD Recorder. However, with this connection, I do not have use of the DVD/VCR through my receiver. There would be audio for the DVD side of the DVD/VCR but no video since I have a digital coax audio cable connected to the A/V receiver. This particular Pioneer receiver does not have S-Video input connections. In order to connect the DVD side of the DVD/VCR to the Pioneer receiver, I would have to convert the S-Video output on the DVD/VCR to composite video. I would like to have use of both the DVD and VCR functions on the DVD/VCR through my receiver. This may not be possible with the limited connections on this Pioneer receiver, so any other suggestions from you would be great. The user manual for this receiver does not go into a lot of detail about making recordings. Thanks for your help.

ticman4719
Unregistered guest
I have a panasonic widescreen projection t.v. that came with a panasonic surround system,consisting of subwoofer,dvd/vcr combo unit,and surround speakers..I recently purchased a dvd recorder...what is the best way to hook up these devices..and will I have to have the power on to either the dvd/vcr combo unit while playing a dvd on the dvd/recorder and vice versa,any help would be much appreciated,thanks--Rick!

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 5381
http://www.ce.org/connections_application/

Anonymous

thanks berny

Username: Jay_l

Quad Cities, Il

Post Number: 9
When you run your dvd/vcr into your dvd recorder you should be on input one or two. When you do that cant you hear and see the input?

So if you are playing a vcr tape and you have your dvd recorder to the correct input that sound should pass through to the receiver and video to the tv.

Also why even hookup the dvd sound from the dvd/vcr to the receiver. If you are going to play dvd's to watch just use the dvd recorder that would have the optimal sound and video.

Just use the dvd/vcr for playback to record only.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us